HybridZ

FLARES: which ones look good together? Ideas!

OlderThanMe

Wondering what my Silver Z would look like with black stripes similar to those on that silver Z...

Mike

damn it mike. that is my color scheme. leave it alone.

jk

you will be done before me. i want to see it done to see how it looks. but msa zg flairs and type 3 kit.

jimbo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Victoria british/black dragon flares are based off of the VW beetle flares. Not exact but VERY close. If you are lucky enough to have a bug junkyard you can get 4 rear flares (rears are what you need to use) for like $30 and then modify them to fit.

Lucky for me i have a beetle junkyard about 15 mins from me :D lol... well its more like a guy that has alot of beetles.. dont know if he sells parts or not but im tempted to stop by and see how much... if not the MSA aren't a bad price... didnt realize they were so cheap. are they steel or fiberglass?

Also twofortymusclez when i look at that pic... it made me realize how easy it would be to actually make my own.. it looks kind of like you cut away the extra metal... got a big tire.. leaned it at an angle and glassed over it.. lol sure thats not what you did... but if you look and use imagination thats what it looks like.

damn it mike. that is my color scheme. leave it alone.

jk

you will be done before me. i want to see it done to see how it looks. but msa zg flairs and type 3 kit.

jimbo

Actually that MSA type 3 spoiler is a temporary item. I've bought a Gnose and will be using it and a spoiler below it.

Mike

Lucky for me i have a beetle junkyard about 15 mins from me :D lol... well its more like a guy that has alot of beetles.. dont know if he sells parts or not but im tempted to stop by and see how much... if not the MSA aren't a bad price... didnt realize they were so cheap. are they steel or fiberglass?

Also twofortymusclez when i look at that pic... it made me realize how easy it would be to actually make my own.. it looks kind of like you cut away the extra metal... got a big tire.. leaned it at an angle and glassed over it.. lol sure thats not what you did... but if you look and use imagination thats what it looks like.

ive tried looking for these flares, can you link me or pm me a pic/link?

careless...VW bugs had removable fenders...you want two rear left and two rear right fenders. You then cut off just to the outside of the taillight. (thus disableing 2 bugs)

This is a super beetle which were sorta funky(like the 260z) and have a bunch of different suspension parts and is a couple inches longer than the regular bug...

It has the standard torsion bar rear suspension like the regular bug but the front suspension went from dual torsion bars to macpherson struts. The torsion bars were WAY more durable than the macpherson struts.

325361.jpg

see?

volkswagonbeetleflares.JPG

careless...VW bugs had removable fenders...you want two rear left and two rear right fenders. You then cut off just to the outside of the taillight. (thus disableing 2 bugs)

woah! thats so cool! hahaha

zee germans donating body parts to zee japs =)

I will admit, that is a brilliant idea for Bugs. Actually, you can get NEW Beetle Fenders DIRT CHEAP from many different sources. They are very durable, and thick allowing much metalworking to match the bodylines of the Z.

So I just want to be perfectly clear: The orange car pictured has flares made from four rear fenders cut as described---from a VW Beetle?

If so, that is waybitchencool! And I will be getting some New Beetle Fenders ASAP! I much prefer Metal Flares...

Tony: do you mean "new" old beetle flares or new new beetle flares? You were confusing me for a minute there...

There are SOO many bugs that were shipped to the US that parts are stupid cheap...

Yes the orange car has 4 rear VW beetle/old bug rear flares on it. the kicker that proves it is the very bottom of the flare. look at the curve and look at the curve of the bug's flare.

I don't really like them on the rear but they look REALLY good on the front of a Z.

I guess it is hard to do a good flare on the rear of a Z because there is soo much flat space and it looks odd to just have a flare sticking out of the middle. That is why I like the reaction research and JCR flares because they complement the whole fender.

Yes, the "Type 1 Beetle"---Hitler's Sponsored "People's Car" has NEW fenders for CHEAP.

They are maybe $49 each. There are some very nice HEAVY Fiberglass Reproductions for sconsdierably more, but they are also available in WIDER versions than the stock Metal Fenders.

Come to think of it, there are METAL Beetle Fenders that are (if I recall correctly) some 4" wider than stock---thesae are, of course, all new products of current manufacture.

VW OEM Fenders are still available as the Bug isn't reallly that far out of production (late 2003 I believe) last produced in Mexico... They are usually a bit better than cheap aftermarket repop parts, but if you are hacking them up, who cares? The Taiwan produced Beetle Fenders are pretty cheap. I'm gonna go look it up now... I have a 62 and 66 Microbus, so I'm in the VW scene, but never heard of this utilization of the old parts. To think of the prospective flares I just chucked out the door... Talk about having blinders on! LOL

J-Bugs in California is currently selling rear fenders for $80 each. Hit them on the right day, and you can get a discount. These are NEW fenders, never been on a car. You just have to decide if you want the early (59 to 67) or late (68-72) Beetle Fenders. Superbeetle parts are the same price. Kustom 1 may be cheaper...but I only deal with them on a PICK UP WILL-CALL basis only (since I'm local, and they have idiots in shipping). JC Whitney have rear fenders for a 66 for $70...

With VW Crap, it's seriously bottom-feeder cutthroat, so you can get a real deal from places if you time it right.

ouch!!:-) hindsight is 20-20

There are some good FG flares out there for bugs but you just have to look. There are SOO many VW parts vendors your head will just spin...

I soo want to build a VG30ET powered baja bug and there is a stock-ish bug for sale right around the corner for $500...I guess I'll just have to stick with a fast (to me) Z car for now...

I soo want to build a VG30ET powered baja bug and there is a stock-ish bug for sale right around the corner for $500...I guess I'll just have to stick with a fast (to me) Z car for now...

Dick over at Garret AirResearch (honeywell Engine Boosting Systems) in Lomita has a VG30DETT powered sandrail. Scary fast with digger tires out back.

I have assisted with the following VW Beetle Conversions:

Rear Engine Corvair 180 Turbo/ Corvair 140

Rear Engine Type 4 Turbo (2.4L)

Rear Engine Subaru Turbo

Mid Engine, full framed Olds Toranado 455CID Conversion.

Mid Engine, 13B Turbo (In Japan)

Front Engine 350 Chevy...

Of the lot, I thought the Subaru/VW conversions were the most stealty because they are stock configuration.

The 13 B Turbo was a real SCREAMER! With a 4.88 and 5.13 stock gear ratio available for the Type II Bus Transaxles it makes for a nice conversion, and keeps all the vitals away from things that could do harm. With an engine cover on (boot), you can't tell it's been swapped!

The 455 was an animal. Everyone loved it. Kind of scary to drive, especially at the speeds it was capable of!!! Two sets of caster shims on the lower tube is HIGHLY recomended! LOL

We did a 350 because we lived in Michigan, and everybody kept asking us when we were going to do it... Bleah. The 327 Corvette Mid-Engine (Otto Parts)Conversion of the Corsa we used for the 140 Horse donor for the bug was a LOT more fun. It started before we even had it assembled. Local cop was cruising the neighborhood, saw us trying to stuff a Chevy V8 in through the passenger's door, and stopped to see what we were up to. Took one look inside the car, asked "You putting that Vette Motor in this Vair?" and when we said 'yes' just went to the back of the car, wrote the license plate number down on his notepad, shook his head, and walked away saying "I'll be seeing you real soon!"

You got me started on VW's and Aircooleds. "I digress"! Yeah I did a lot of crazy stupid swaps when I was a kid. Lots of time, and cheap parts makes for idle hands in the Auto Shop! Having all sorts of GMI and Big Three Engineering types living closeby to ask questions---and who were all to happy to "investigate" what our latest projects were really got us way further than we ever would have alone. They were "Bad Adults" in today's terms: "They Enabled Our Miscreant Behaviour!"

yeah...VWs are cool.

One guy with a no-budget VG30ET powered beetle said at 5psi (and leaking boost pressure) boost he could easily beat a 350Z...with the bug lifted and mud tires!!!

That is the ultimate in hp/weight ratio!!!

The VG30DETT seems like a pretty common motor to put in sandrails...since they can get over 1000hp and sand sucks up horsepower...you need all you can get.

Tony: I don't know if you have seen the adapter plates Kennedy clutches has made for VW trannies but they can put like 75 different motors on a VW tranny! From a Datsun "A" engine to a Triton V10!