HybridZ

Budget V8 280Z

RTz

• Administrators

The goal was to see how inexpensively I could swap in a generic SBC. I already had possession of a '88 Caprice Interceptor... 350 with 700R4...

Sometime around ‘02 I bought one of Braap’s project chassis for $500... sold the L28 and EFI for $200.

The engine compartment as purchased....

AsPurchased.jpg

The donor...

CapriceEngine.jpg

A bit of bay cleanup...

BayCleanup.jpg

Engine clean up....

onstand.jpg

Ron Davis Radiator w/integral trans. cooler...

radiator.jpg

Test fit....

P1010026.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Edelbrock 600 w/Lokar linkage.....

CarbLinkage.jpg

CarbLinkage2.jpg

A quiet Dual 2” into single 2.5....

exhaust.jpg

Ready to run...

Done.jpg

The result....

fog1.jpg

fog2.jpg

fog3.jpg

Budget....

Z $300.00

Ron Davis Radiator/Tranny Cooler $270.00

JTR Motor Mounts/Adapters $150.00

Derale 16" Electric Fan (2,175 CFM) $120.00

Exhaust System $500.00

HEI Distributor $150

Driveline $100

Lokar Throttle Cable $26.00

Ceramic Coated Headers $262.00

Edelbrock "Performer" Intake $150.00

Edelbrock 1406 (600CFM) Carb/Air Cleaner $242.00

GM motor/trans mounts $106.00

Misc. Hoses/Bolts/Clamps/Fluids $250

Total $2626

Ron, you once had a website that documented the swap and went into detail about the thing a little more than what you have here. Do you still have that website up? If so, please provide a link!

I love your write ups BTW!

Davy

• Administrators

I've repeatedly told folks that doing it cheap is VERY doable! Great Daily Driver!

Agreed. I believe its a combination of "While I'm at it" and, maybe worse, "Keeping up with the Jones's "... For the record, this car was not fast by modern standards, however it was substantially quicker than the stock L28. A hoot to drive, and relatively speaking, fairly quiet.

• Administrators
Ron, you once had a website that documented the swap and went into detail about the thing a little more than what you have here. Do you still have that website up? If so, please provide a link!

I nixed that page a couple years ago. I still have a copy of it... looking through it, the majority of it was mostly opinion. Here's a clipping...

"Its factory-car quiet, almost vibration free (I suspect it will be completely vibe free after a pinion angle adjustment), Very quick through first gear, resonably quick through the remaining gears. Power is a bit soft in the lower rev range but comes on nicely as revs build. Pulls well to 5000 RPM. Very drivable/managable daily driver. Steering effort has dropped noticeably and the car gained some toe in....this leads me to believe that I have lost some front end weight...Will verify soon. G-tech Pro indicated 0-60 on average of 5.09 seconds with a 1/4 mi. in 14.00@100.8 MPH. I hope to take to the strip later this year for an official time. I am projecting good 60 foot times with a mid to high 14 second run. All in all I'm pleased with the power this motor delivers especially considering its age."

I love your write ups BTW!

Thank you :-)