HybridZ

HKS and Tial

stony

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like a nice piee from what I see. People always want to say it is junk because it is inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap). I find nothing wrong with saving money for a good product. Thanks for the heads up. I will be making a purchase in the near future when I get my engine back. :)

Here's a company selling the same blowoff with a 3 incast pipe with the vband attachment allready on it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=330078932510

I found this while looking for a aluminum v band fitting. I'm going to be using aluminum pipe and the fitting that came with the blowoff was steal. I was considering buyin this just for the pipe when i came across this in there ebay store.

f643_1.JPG

Well it is not exactly this one, The one i bought is just the pipe. It was only 10.00 US. Thought someone would be interested

I bought a duel drive bov blitz style and a huge fmic from ss auto chrome. the intercooler has "greddy" embossed into it so I know it is good. was real inexpensive. The bov was just CHEAP! as soon as it opened the first time it would not seal up again. the rubber or viton seal was junk. the rest of it was billet. looked nice but is CRAP. A friend has an exhaust manifold for a 240sx. top mount, looks well made but will not fit the car unless YOU don't need a brake master cylinder.? sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get lucky. My tial bov and gate work flawlessly. tc.

Again the only reason i bought these where because i have a freind that has used both of these parts ( wastegate and Blowoff) on several different hi HP cars and they worked flawless. I would have never bought anything from SSAC unless i had seen something in person. I should be able to give a personal testimony in a month or so i hope:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 60mm wastegate as well. Looks very nice to me. What is teh long rod and misc other things in the plastic bag for?

Here are some more pictures of the diaphragm and spring assembly. Its interesting that this wastegate comes with 4 springs of different rates. You can install 1 or all 4 depending on the boost level you want to set it up for. Also, there is a pretty trick adjustment on the top of the diaphragm to adjust preload on the springs. This is nice for dialing in the boost level.

catie_digital_pictures_020.jpg

catie_digital_pictures_021.jpg

catie_digital_pictures_023.jpg

catie_digital_pictures_033.jpg

catie_digital_pictures_025.jpg

Regards,

Justin

• 1 month later...

I've got the same stuff. Only thing I've heard is that with the wastegates you need to crack them open and check to see if the diaphram is seated properly. Besides that....they are a great bang for the buck.

My setup so far. Stock 280ZX turbo manifold converted to a t4/60mm ext. WG manifold. WG look familiar.

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture011.jpg

I've got the same stuff. Only thing I've heard is that with the wastegates you need to crack them open and check to see if the diaphram is seated properly. Besides that....they are a great bang for the buck.

My setup so far. Stock 280ZX turbo manifold converted to a t4/60mm ext. WG manifold. WG look familiar.

dosquattro, Dude!!! At the risk of thread jacking that is one serious wastegate/turbo. I'm actually a little jealous :D If you are up to it, you should start a whole new thread on your setup. I know I'd enjoy the writeup.

Back to the regularly scheduled broadcast....

i didnt read the entire thread but heres my input.

name brand wastegates are just to expensive imo. i plan on getting a cheap knock off. as for the bov, either way i think youll be fine.

as for turbo....NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a cheap knock off. Unless its so cheap and you dont care about splitting the cold side in a week.

what causes their turbos to break so easy? the ones that split were display pieces from what i heard. and the ones "exploded" i heard were from oil starvation. think that they are balanced, and use the actual hardened bronze bearings, and good quality thrust washers? has anyone taken these apart to check and see? i've tried searching and couldn't find up-to-date info on their current turbos. so far ive only found things from last year. i know people are still buying them, b/c i watch the auctions. i know alot of the name brand ones are made in mexico.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you read my first post? I would not have posted this here if there was any question about if these things work or not. ChefTRD is very competent fabricator and has used both on several builds with no problems.

Which wastegates did you folks buy? I was looking at their site, and they have a few of the 60mm ones with the purple covers, and they range from $99 to $159 to $325. They all look about the same to me, and look to include the same things. Anyone know the difference?