HybridZ

HKS and Tial

stony

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bad experience with the XO Racing 44 mm wastegate on ebay. Supposed to be a knockoff of the tial 44. The casting was very rough. JUst felt cheap made. I put it on and could not get it to seal. You could put your hand over the outlet and feel the exhaust leaking out. ALso, when the spring is tightened all the way it won't open. I put an air hose to it and it also leaked air from all around the side of the body. WHen I pulled it apart the diaphram wasn't seated right. Put it back together and it doesn't leak air but still leaks exhaust and won't open under pressure. I bought a tial 44 and called it a day. I'll never buy another cheap wastegate.

JT

just a thought on the sealing issues with the knock-offs...

on my TiAL WG it has a ring that sits up inside where the valve seats with. I assume this is a specific material so that it won't deform under the high heats and not seal properly ever again after the first heat cycle. might this be the issue with the knock-offs? they use the same machining techniques, causing a look-alike, but with inferior (lower cost) materials, giving the customer a lower price...

I dont know the heat properties of the different alloys of stainless, but maybe the answer to making this unit work would be to machine this ring out of a better material (and check the diaphram)?

or maybe i dont have enough knowledge about the subject to comment...my $0.02

Hmmmm the stuff i have dosnt look like knockoff stuff. I have reason to believe that maybe the HKS wastegate and tial blowoff and the place where these "Knockoff" pieces came from are the same. The only thing different between the 2 are the casting on the WG says HKS and the Blowoff has tial in the top of it. I pulled them apart and everything was identicle!!!! I will be starting up in january some time so i will be able to give some "reviews" on the parts.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a turbo XS bov with the sliding piston. Do NOT buy one of these. That piece of crap leaked like mad!

Just wanted to give heads up.

I have an SSAC intercooler. Quality is very good for the money. I suspect I could spend way more and not get anything besides a name.

Evan

BTW, I think this BOV is right up my alley. I already have a tial wastegate but my clone HKS is a piece of crapola. I was told it was a real ssqv but I dont think so.

I had a turbo XS bov with the sliding piston. Do NOT buy one of these. That piece of crap leaked like mad!

Just wanted to give heads up.

I have a Turbo XS R34 BOV and it works great. I just added shims to tighten the spring pressure as recommended in the manual. Tech support is available by phone and is helpful. Just my experience.

I bought one similar to Stony's (a Tial knockoff) from www.siliconeintakes.com. So far it's hold boost without leaking and I do not have any other performance issues to date. I am not getting ANY compressor surge and they shipped 2 springs with the BOV. At the first sign of trouble I am buying a real Tial, but for now this one is doing a great job.

You will find with the seats leaking is that the shaft isn't aligned properly, Ive got a cheep DSR unit in front of me, IT has the removable/replaceable seat, But the main shaft isn't aligned properly, So it doesn't seal 100%. Its a matter of taking it apart and aligning the internals again

• 1 month later...
I sprung for the real deal because I was tired of the cheapo's failing.

DSCN0160.jpg

What spring are you running?

Ive switched to a 12psi from a 9psi. The 9 would pull open a bit at idle and was driving me insane trying to tune my idle air control. Now the 12 feels too stiff.

How do you lessen vacuum at idle? Timing?

Uh yeah, Tial is American. That means they cost good money because good money was put into them to develop a reliable product up to the demands of endurance racing. Additionally, they put the effort into high quality production with extremely few flaws or failures in the field. What do you get from Chinese products? They get someone to send them a real Tial and they take it apart and do a sloppy knockoff with cheap casting techniques. Then they package them and sell them. They can get away with it because China doesn't respect the patent rights of other countries. It happens for hundreds to thousands of aftermarket performance parts.

They succeed because most ppl just want somethin cheap and don't care if the manufacturer is unethical and stealing from your neighbour and producing it on the other side of the world. Most higher end parts like diffs, fuel pumps, valvetrain parts and turbos fail pretty quickly or simply don't fit in the first place. It's hit or miss because most Chinese manufacturers cannot reliably produce to the tolerance that those specific parts require. Not to mention they use dirty alloys, cheap recycled pot metal or throw whatever else in it that they can.

AMEN!

but what else are you supposed to do if you are a broke college kid and need to get your car running? i say that its fine if you buy one, but you have no room to complain if the wastegate fails and overboosts and pop-goes-the-weasel.

speaking of which, has anyone heard of a TiAL failing?