HybridZ

My Vin# is coming up invalid????

Datsun350Z

I'm buying an 87 Porsche 944 tomorrow, I called my insurance company to get it legal to drive home. The guy e-mailed me the vin# so I could insure it. The insurance company said they needed the vin again because there was a problem, I gave it again, and they were ok with it, and it came up as an '87 944 in thier system. So it's insured, but I decided to do a carfax because the word "problem" set off a red flag. Carfax tells me it's an invalid vin#. So do all the other sites (which are mostly powered by carfax).

Right now i'm very wary of this car... any comments, suggestions as far as finding out if the car is legit before I go there tomorrow?

I know carfax has no clue about old car VIN numbers. My 1970 comes up with nothing. Their computer records only go back so far, and they don't like numbers that don't follow the current convention. Like HLS30.....

Maybe the car is just too old. Check with you state motor vehicle association.

I know carfax has no clue about old car VIN numbers. My 1970 comes up with nothing. Their computer records only go back so far, and they don't like numbers that don't follow the current convention. Like HLS30.....

Maybe the car is just too old. Check with you state motor vehicle association.

Nah, the limit on carfax is 85 I believe. That's when they went to a national standard on VIN number length. It should be coming up.

I wouldn't call it worthless... if you know what info you're getting.

It's by no means a know-all end-all service. It's good to use loosely.

If something comes up, at least you know you've got issues. If nothing comes up, well your issues are hidden better.

You're right though, for the most part. If you run a carfax thinking its a god that sees everything (like 90% of their customers) you're in for a suprise or two.

So anyway, I picked up the 944 (Black on Black, Black tint).

Runs well, handles good. I am confused though... It handles well for an 80's car, but... well it's not exactly living up to the porsche handling hype.

I didn't exactly buy it either...

I traded my 300zx for it and a mitsubishi starion.

The 944 is soooo much nicer to drive than the 300zx.

I'm very happy with it. I'll post pics as soon as I get it washed up.

• 9 years later...