HybridZ

parking light that wont turn off

nscason

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent done a damn thing. i have been occupied with my turbo swap components. porting and matching a p90a head, turbo manifold and n42 non egr intake. i am close to done and will start to get back to all of the little things that my car needs. what all have you tried if anything at all?

i havent done a damn thing. i have been occupied with my turbo swap components. porting and matching a p90a head, turbo manifold and n42 non egr intake. i am close to done and will start to get back to all of the little things that my car needs. what all have you tried if anything at all?

Nothing ...absolutely nothing..our house was struck by lightning and Ive been for some odd reason preoccupied with that..however the Z is fine...

FWIW - Well, i finally got to mine today. The brake light has been lit since I got the car over a year ago, finally got around to checking it out electrically why the darn thing was still lit. I changed out the brake relay (up under the passenger seat) with one that was good (when the other car was taken apart +4 years ago), and still, nothing. Wiggled the connector (it was slightly toasted on the female side, mental note to clean contacts), so i tapped the relay with a screwdriver and, like magic, the brake light extinguished. Took the relay apart that was in the car, and one of the leads to the winding was toast, never allowing the contacts to open.

Now I can go ahead and look into updating the relay. if that's a go, I'll post some good news later. And please, nobody hold their breath.....

so thats what those two relays are under the passenger seat. i have wondered about that for the longest time. i will see if it looks like there is a bad connection there and try tapping the relays as well. thanks for the little bit of insight.

i finally got around to doing something. i got bored and took out the whole dash. i figured on just messing with all of the electrical and sort of hooking it all back up before i put the dash back in. just to see if there was any differences. i really got to know how everything was set up under there finally. going to take out some of the factory a/c stuff that didnt really work. need room for the new turbo ecu for my turbo swap.

ok. i have been unemployed for over a month. i have been at home the whole time. i got bored and took the dash out of my car to tare out all of the a/c and fan stuff. it didnt work all that great. i drive with the windows down all the time anyways. my car has been apart and parked for the past 2 or 3 weeks. i finally got around to putting the car back together today. i didnt mess with the speedo. i think that the problem is elsewhere. i did figure out that there are only 2 screws holding in the speedo and the tack. one of them is the on you can see from the drivers seat. the other is on the bottom side of the back of the gauge. i dont know how to better describe it. you are going to need to unscrew the speedo cable to take out the gauge. i did mess with all of the connection all over. even one of the ones that was under the passenger seat. i dont know if the light is off or not. sorry. i just put sh*t back together and went inside. i plan on driving around this weekend though. i will be sure to let everyone know of the out come.

i drove my car around. the damn light is still on. oh well. i didnt feel like disconnecting the light itself.

Are you kidding me..all the anticipation...I was certain you were going to come up with the solution..man..this has totally bummed out my 4th of July...lol

sorry to hear that. i spent my day at home. i went on a long bike ride out in the country. it was 120 degrees out. nice summer day. i need to make another call to MSA to see if there is some kind of relay that i have that went out. i could now easily just take out the light itself. but what fun would that be?

A bike ride....a bike ride...well I certainly hope the scenery was good..a bike ride vs working on the ol Z....ah man...come on..as said hope the scenery was good as in some ladies..then again..a Z has a way of attracting the ladies as well..

my z is part way through a lot of body work and looks like something right out of mexicali. working on my car durring the day is hell. dont get me wrong. i love working on my car. i cant stand finding gremlins unless they are making the car not work properly.

Don't know if this helps, but let me add to my previous solution a tad bit....

I've got 300Z seats in mine, after rambling on before about a bad relay (which, is still bad, I haven't gotten around to seeing if I can update it), I just disconnected the relay. All was good until I moved the car. Go figure. Now I'm scratching my head. I just got the darn thing to go off, and now as I roll out of my driveway, the sucker comes back on... So I lift the latch to angle the passenger seat (back) forward, let go of the seat back and it slams back on itself, the brake light goes off... hmmmm.. it got me thinkin... what's up with that? Maybe I have a loose ground down there. Sure, I'll get to that next week.

So, with the relay disconnected, the e-brake off and its switch intact, everything says the light should be off.... and it is when I tap underneath the passenger seat..... Kinda hard to do that while drivin'....

Fast forward THREE weeks... yeah, I know...

I finally remove the passenger seat, and see my answer lying there. ::shakes head in a disgusted manner::

The green/yellow wire that connects to the ebrake switch was pinched between the seat mount of the chassis and the mounting rail of the front left passenger seat mount. I removed the crushed part of the wire, spliced, reconnected, everything is good to go. Now I just need to get off my butt and wire in a newer relay. I'll save that for next weekend.

At least I don't have that red light blinding me anymore! That should account for at least a tenth of a second on the autocross course tomorrow, eh?

Enough rambling....hope this helps somebody.

that might be my problem. as far as i know the casing to that wire is fine. to be honest i havent got to fixing the problem partly because it gets to around 120 degrees outside and working on my car in a garage that has no air movement isnt all that great. the only diecent time to work on my car is late at night. starting a project at 9:00 pm isnt all that great. ill eventually get to the problem. thanks for more ideas.