HybridZ

RB25 Z32 swap, trany questions.

Guest rx7636

All good info, the owner of the car changed his mind and wants $400 for the non-turbo tranny. I think that is a little pricey how much should I pay for a na z32 5-spd. Also I read around a little more and found that the input shaft is longer on the rb tranny and does need to be swaped to the z32 case. Here is a copy of the info from a shop that has finished a rb26dett swap.

First i would like to go over our mount kit

a)the mounts are double sleeved chromemoly, tig welded, with a steel eyelet that houses a urethane insert. Mounts are are significantly gusseted and reinforced to ensure that they can handle any amount of power that you would ever want to throw at them.

b)It is necessary to be able to have a small amount of welding done to attach the mounting plates to the inside of the frame rails. These are straight line welds and can be mig or tig.

c)Engine crossmember needs to be modified. The factory crossmember is rectangular shaped across the middle. Across the middle section the top and front walls need to be cut out with torch or plasma cutter. New metal must be welded in in the shape of a triangle with the downward slant towards the front of the engine bay. Also, the lip on the front bottom grinded back about 1/2 inch. This service will be available through us although is very doable at home. The crossmember is then spaced down from the frame approx. 1/8 to 1/4 inch using washers around the 4 mounting bolts.

d)We will be offering a custom sway bar for this application. The bar is hardened and tempered chromemoly steel and is very strong and very very light. this is a direcy bolt on piece.

Now on to other mods necessary to complete swap

1) Transmission

a)parts needed: 1 300zx tt transmission, 1 rb25det transmission, rb25 slave cylinder, rb26 flywheel(supplied with motor), clutch of choice(we recommend a custom rps double sprung max clutch that we can supply )

b)attach bellhousing from rb25 tranny to the tail section of the vg30 transmission. The internals of the two are identical except for the input shafts. The rb25 input shaft must be used to compensate for the longer belhousing(any tranny shop can perform this for a decent price)

c)this tranny allows the use of the stock 300zx shifter, driveshaft, tranny crossmember,and all tranny wiring.

d)this tranny is a key element for correct placement and angle of the motor in the engine bay

2)WIRING

a)Wiring is fairly straight forward and simple. A dropping resistor pack is necessary to be wired in because of the low impedance injectors. Other than that there are only a few wires to power up the harness. This will be explained in more detail to those who wish to purchase the kit.

b)ALL factory gauges will work

c)alternator,starter,oil sending unit all use stock 300zx wiring from body harness

3)CORE SUPPORT

a) on my car we made the center section of the core support a removable piece bolted together with a plate on either side

b)this does NOT compromise structural rigitity in any way. When bolted in place the core support is as strong as it was before.

c)it does however give you ample room to work on the front of the motor when removed.

4)RADIATOR

a)Radiator must be placed between the headlights. This required cutting a bit if metal to make room. This is not difficult and took me 20 minutes with an air saw

b)The radiator used is a BeCool bouble pass radiator 31/2 inches thick with a 15"spal fan bolted on with an aluminum shroud.

c) small L-shaped brackets must be made to hold the bottom of the radiator in place tha come off of the front crossmember(once again, easy to do. Just bend some flat steel stock, and drill some holes)

d)This setup is proven not to overheat in the least little bit in 115 degree heat. It is very efficient

5)ECU

Stock rb26 ecu can be used but be aware that the maps are made for japanese fuel which is higher octane than ours. It is recommended to use a standalone such as the power fc D-jetro or the aem ems. These two ecu's allow you to eliminate the mass airflow sensors and a lot of piping and run off of map sensors. The car runs and idles every bit as good on map as it ever did on maf.

6)INTERCOOLER

THis is basically the preference of the owner. The sky is the limit, However crazy you want to get with it,

7)EXHAUST

Exhaust must be custom made. Sigle or dual. If you already have a cat-back you can use your existing rear section and fab a downpipe and mid pipe with splitter.

8)OIL PAN

you will need an rb25 front sump oil pan to be fitted. It has to be modified slightly to fit the block where the oil pickup tube mounts to the block. The pan must be cut open pushed out and rewelded shut to allow clearance. small amounts af metal will have to be added to close the gaps where it is pushed out. Very understandable when seen in person. Nice little afternoon job. We will offer this service as well.

9) SWAP PRICING by us at SPEED and SOUND

If the customer wishes to have us perform the swap we have come up witha figure of 18k for a complete turn key car ready to drive. This swap includes

1)motor installed with stock internals

2)single turbo w/ manifold and tial waste gate

3)Standalone ecu with a base tune(dyno tuning extra)

4)all creature comforts cruise, power steering, a/c if desired

5)full suspension including tein coil overs and hicas elimination with some adjustable arms

6)moderate sized front mount intercooler with piping and bov of choice

7)alignment

8)full exhaust(customer decides single or dual)

9)bearings checked for wear and replaced if necessary

Please note that if you source your own motor, we are not responsible for the condition of the motor internally.

We are almost positive that we can also get the stock twin turbos to work as well which would obviously decrease the cost.

INDIVIDUAL MOUNT KIT PRICING

we are going to release the kits at the following rates

1) mounts and brackets alone $750

2) sway bar $425

3) modified crossmember $450 (250 if you supply us with your crossmember)

4)complete kit $1400

5)tt.net group buy price $1300

These are quality pieces that far exceed the strength to get the job done. So you can sleep easy knowing that everything will be top notch.

PROS AND CONS OF THIS SWAP

PROS 1)absolute simplicity to work on compared to vg30 motors.

2)oil pan removal 25 minutes

3) turbo removal 20 minutes

4) timing belt change 1.5 hours

5)stock 8200 rpm redline

6)you have an rb26 in your car

7) the sound

8)the rarity

9)extracts power more easily than vg with less money

10) stock injectors are 440cc instead of 370cc and top feed instead of unreliable side feeds

11)big weight savings

CONS

1) Some parts are more difficult to get and have to wait a bit longer

2) Small trade off of low rpm torque for high rpm horsepower

3) I personally can't think of any more

I have had my car on the street now for 10 months and have not had a single hiccup or problem with it yet. This is a rock solid kit that performs well and does not compromise handling or ride quality.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST AND I LOOK FORWARD TO DOING BUSINESS WITH YOU

Charlie Croghan, member (doodoo) 314-221-6662

Speed and Sound 636-464-1063 ask for Charlie or Mark Bond (member mpbondSTL)

www.speedandsoundstl.com

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up the 300zx today and the non turbo transmission. Should be gutting the car soon and selling all the interior parts. Then gettinmg it into the shop and modding the crossmember and building the cage.

If I read this right, the turbo and non turbo 300zx transmission are the same

You definately did NOT read this right...

To answer your question, the TT and NA Z32 trans are different, but ONLY in bell housing diameter. Either way, youll be using the RB bell housing, so you might as well just save some coin and buy the NA tranny. I have both sitting in my garage right now (NA and TT tranny's ) if you'd like some pics

So the deal looks like it will be falling through on the R33 clip. I was just wondering what the actually differences are from the rb awd and rwd trans is. I noticed the awd trans are going for cheaper then the rwd ones. So I might as well use one of them instead. I assume the bell housing or front half of the trans is the same from awd to rwd. Also the input shaft and all the internals besides possibly the outshaft. I assume it has a different length output shaft to fit the transfer case. Also the tail housing or rear half of the trans must be different from the rwd trans. Any info will be helpful cause I am on a tight budget and any money saved is more that can go into the car. Thanks

But isnt the bell housing or front housing of the trans and input shaft the same as a rwd rb trans. So for what I am building it wouldnt make any difference. Thanks

Contact me at dsm4cvc@yahoo.com or call me at 314-221-6662. Kit includes chromoly motor mounts and mounting brackets, modified engine crossmember, and a custom swaybar with mounting hardware.

Just so everyone understands the above post you were quoted in, this is you>>

Charlie Croghan, member (doodoo) 314-221-6662

Speed and Sound 636-464-1063 ask for Charlie or Mark Bond (member mpbondSTL)

www.speedandsoundstl.com

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

i need a trans for my RB26DETT, i am considering the

z32 5speed and i think i understand the whole conversion

but what is up with the shifter on the z32?

from pic's i have seen there is a plate on the shifter

access point/box/hole (on the tail housing) and some

kind of linkage sticking out the back of the

shifter box/housing?

what does everybody else do with/about this?