HybridZ

220amp PowerMate MIG

Careless

There's someone selling a 220amp PowerMate MIG welder.

I have the provisions to use the welder on my electrical system in the garage. I'm just wondering if it's worth it. It's a 208/240 volt welder, but it's set at 208.

I went to see the welder today and it's in very good shape, but it's quite an old model. it has copper windings and it's very industrial purpose type. It's also quite fcuking huge. easily 200+ lbs, body-on-cart design too. so it's all one piece.

my roommate passed some welds and it was pretty good with just argon (dude uses tig now, and doesnt mig anymore, which is why he is getting rid of it, and didnt have CO2 layin around)

it has infinitely variable pot adjustments, not stepper controlled at all. for wire speed and wire heat.

it has spot/stitch weld setting, and it has Wire ON, and Wire STOP TIME settings (which i dont know what they do). I would assume that they were for the spot welding cycles so that the wire flows for x amount of seconds, and stops for x amount of seconds, and repeats. One of the dials are kapuuts.. but It's just a general 100 ohm potentiometer by the looks of the panel they're on. Nothing I cant fix, or would really use anyways.

Only one thing i'm concerned with is the kind of welding guns i could swap into this thing. I mean, lets say the welding gun craps out (it looks fine though)... does anyone know of any specific fittings i would need and such to get another gun from a different manufacturer.

I dont think this company exists anymore, but it's a 220amp Powermate 60% Duty Cycle welder.

I think for the price (350 canadian) it's a good welder for my needs, and for welding the structural rails that i'll be doing.

If anyone has any information or insight, that'd be awesome. Thanks.

I wanna call him tomorrow morning because someone is looking at it tomorrow, so anyone who knows... please chime in!

went to pick it up.

i looked at some similar items, like the hobarts and whatnot, and they were smaller, indefinately,... but a lot more costly. about 3 times more.

I got this for 360 CDN. He didn't have a 10 to break for the 350, so I just asked him for some scrap metal to practice with the extra 10!..

Great guy, really helpful. Thing weighs as much as a drunk fat chick though.

225powermate.jpg

came with the spool of 032 wire I believe. Large spool infact. But I need a new gas tip and wire tip... and maybe some tip dip and a tip cleaner aswell.

so it has infinately fine-tunable wire speed and heat controls.

it has a reverse polarity feature.

guages came with it aswell, and it even has a spot/stitch knob that allows you to keep the wire on for X amount of seconds, and to keep it off for X amount of seconds when holding the trigger, so that it doesnt keep feeding with it depressed, so that you can stop yourself from doing too long of a seam when work is heat critical i guess...., or something like that.

Those controls are adjustable potentiometeres though, so I'm going to remove that panel and get new pots, because they're like 2 bucks each.

the thing probably worth about 120 in copper alone, because of it's massive winding.

I'm pleased.

This is basically exactly what it has, but it's from an AD of amazon for a Solar 2225 Model.

It's probable that this is the exact same chassis and unit.

Solar 2225 225-amp, heavy-duty 208/230 volt MIG Welder - infinite heat and wire speed controls - 250 peak amps Powerful MIG welds from thin, 26-gauge sheet metal to thick, 3/8-inch steel. Electronic wire speed control (0 to 700 inches per minute) and infinite heat control easily tune the precise speed and heat needed for the job Quick-release drive system allows easy wire change without additional tension adjustment Polarity jacks let you easily change to flux-core and specialty-welding wires Built-in spot/stitch timer lets you repeat spot (plug) and stitch welds Large spool capacity makes wire more economical Excellent for welding stainless steel and aluminum Comes Complete: Full, heavy-duty welding cart High-quality, heavy-duty, 12-foot wire feed gun Ground cable assembly and clamp Cable wrap brackets Two nozzles (welding, spot welding) Wire pre-wiper Assortment of contact tips (6 [.024], 6 [.030], 6 [.035], 3 [.045]) Wire spindle adapter and spool tensioner Drive rollers for .024 to .045 wire coverage Easy-to-understand instruction manual

I think i robbed this guy blind. but it was his price, so whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/225-Amp-Heavy-Duty-Volt-Welder/dp/B000I1YXGS

thats pretty much what i got.

and i found it on this site for http://www.centcan.com/accessories2.htm

225 Amp Heavy Duty MIG Welder w/Cart 230/208V

$3,974.93

If it gets the job done, then it's a good find. Have you looked into replacement parts, thats the one thing that would concern me about getting such a old machine.

I don't think the welder you linked is the same one. It's got digital adjustments, so i think it's a new model maybe. I'm sure that one cost alot when it first came out because all mig welders back then were expensive, but times have changed, thats why they can sell similar units now cheap.

If it gets the job done, then it's a good find. Have you looked into replacement parts, thats the one thing that would concern me about getting such a old machine.

I don't think the welder you linked is the same one. It's got digital adjustments, so i think it's a new model maybe. I'm sure that one cost alot when it first came out because all mig welders back then were expensive, but times have changed, thats why they can sell similar units now cheap.

well the reason he got rid of it was because he's got a tig now thats much smaller and doesnt need both, and doesnt wanna pay a lease on both kinds of gas or two different tanks.

i think it's a good deal. the thing is really heavy duty, and the case is so big that im sure any of the mechanical hardware can be retrofit to accept other replacement parts from companies, even guns too.

i thik im happy right now :D we'll see how well it does my frame rails.

hey, i know how you feel. I just got a mm175 and just got a cylinder of c25 gas for it. I've been welding something everyday, lol. I just got done welding some supports for ramps I made for my equipment trailer. I need to start getting the 8" spools because little 2lbs spools get used to quick.

I don't think i'd like that spot/stitch control, because you'd have to keep the tip in the right spot while the pause happens, I think it's easier just to pull the trigger when u want to weld, lol. Anyway, have fun with it. Do you know how many amps it draws, that thing could be a electricity hog...

hey, i know how you feel. I just got a mm175 and just got a cylinder of c25 gas for it. I've been welding something everyday, lol. I just got done welding some supports for ramps I made for my equipment trailer. I need to start getting the 8" spools because little 2lbs spools get used to quick.

I don't think i'd like that spot/stitch control, because you'd have to keep the tip in the right spot while the pause happens, I think it's easier just to pull the trigger when u want to weld, lol. Anyway, have fun with it. Do you know how many amps it draws, that thing could be a electricity hog...

yah im pretty sure it draws quite a bit of amperage, but i hope to get a mig to do the smaller work down the road, something like a 130 or such.

I just want to get to be able to use it for more than cars down the road. so i bought something big and badass for myself at a good price. i figured i might as well start with an older version like the veterans do, and just figure out the straight skills of welding various thicknesses (without many limitations), and then learn the various techniques using an old piece of equipment that still has some years left in it.

After that's a breeze for me, im sure going with a smoother and better system in the future will make me much happier :D

That's a Century. I have a 250 and like it pretty well. Nobody else could touch the power/duty cycle for the price when I got mine. Nice score. Sears.com has a newer one right now on clearance for $899, but it is only 210 amp.

how does it compare to today's units for a price of about 300 USD =)

I need new nozzle, difusser, and tip...

can't find it anywhere though. i see a 21-62 on the tip, and that's a reference to tweco branded guns, so im assuming they use tweco flush mount thread nozzles too.

EDIT:

so it's the equivalent to this?

B0000AXDFN.01-A1787XOD7Q2I4M._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45205810_.jpg

That's pretty much it. The newer ones just have a cleaner case look. Lincoln bought Century from the Clore group last year so is the source for parts now. I paid right at $1200 for mine delivered. It has 100% duty cycle at 160 amps, and built in spot and stitch controls in addition to infinitely adjustable amperage and wire speed.