HybridZ

Had to post our SBF project

er34gtt2000jp

OK guys, here it is in all its glory. :mrgreen:

It started life as a steal of a deal 1970 240Z that turned out to be a reclaimed total loss (major damage to rear) and now it's becoming a SBF powered bracket car. :burnout:

Little run down on parts:

1969 Ford 302 .030 over (soon to have AFR 185's on it)

KB hyper domed pistons

Performer manifold

Performer 600 CFM carb

Comp Cams .512 lift cam

Jegs 1.6 roller rockers

Gear Drive

MSD Pro billet distributor

MSD 6AL (still have to buy)

$98 summit F-150 full length headers

C4 trans (soon to have full manual valve body w/brake)

Ford 8.8 inch rear (narrowed 54.5" flange to flange)

4.10 gears

Jegs SS ladder bars w/ track rod

Alston's full cage

Gonna run 15x10 rims in the back with 29x12.5x15 slicks.

Here are some pics thus far, all fab work was done by my buddy and I in my garage.

IMG_0744_thumb.jpg

IMG_0749_thumb.jpg

IMG_0904_thumb.jpg

IMG_0926_thumb.jpg

IMG_0935_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy tried the same header, but his car has been sitting for 8 years. Yours really look like they're working out great. How did you modify them? What are your steering shaft plans?

We had to heat the tubes and slightly massage them for clearance, we will probably end up notching the frame rail a little on the passengers side after we pull the motor out to send it to the machine shop.

Guest whitesmoke
OK guys, here it is in all its glory. :mrgreen:

1969 Ford 302 .030 over (soon to have AFR 185's on it)

KB hyper domed pistons

Performer manifold

Performer 600 CFM carb

Comp Cams .512 lift cam

Jegs 1.6 roller rockers

Gear Drive

MSD Pro billet distributor

MSD 6AL (still have to buy)

$98 summit F-150 full length headers

C4 trans (soon to have full manual valve body w/brake)

Ford 8.8 inch rear (narrowed 54.5" flange to flange)

4.10 gears

Jegs SS ladder bars w/ track rod

Alston's full cage

Gonna run 15x10 rims in the back with 29x12.5x15 slicks.

Here are some pics thus far, all fab work was done by my buddy and I in my garage.

just a quick note, if/when you go to AFR 185s you will need to get a better carb and will probably want a better intake as well. like a vic jr. or at least thats what im running on my AFR 185 headed 306 is a vic jr and a holly DP. i dont know a a thought but that me over kill for you too as i have plans to add the giggle juce to what i already have.

Thanks for the replies everybody!

We started out as a ultra low budget bracket car looking for 12's and now it's turned into a full on race car that we suspect will break into the 10's.

The carb and intake are what we have laying around, and I know they will be our choke point. But we are gonna run them ans see where it gets us.

As for the rear, I have some more photos but have to resize them. It is a simple set up, very similar to Mike Kz's.

We are using a Ford 8.8 out of a 1994 Mazda B4000 4x4 (Ford Ranger) that we cut 3 7/8 inches out of the drivers tube. This was so we could use another passengers side axle from a ranger on the drivers side. Worked out great, the pinion is 1/2" off center and flange to flange is a hair over 54 1/2". We swapped the stock Mazda 3.73 gear set with some 4.10's as well.

The ladder bars are the Jegs SS bars and we bought the Jegs crossmember to mount it. We are also using the Jegs track bar kit. For shocks we are using the Competition Engineering coil over kit with 100 in/lb springs.

I will try to get more diff pics up for you guys.

This was pretty easy to do, I had ZERO fabrication experience and my buddy and I built this all ourselves. Just don't look at the welds too closely eh!.:icon11:

Thanks for the replies everybody!

We started out as a ultra low budget bracket car looking for 12's and now it's turned into a full on race car that we suspect will break into the 10's.

The carb and intake are what we have laying around, and I know they will be our choke point. But we are gonna run them ans see where it gets us.

As for the rear, I have some more photos but have to resize them. It is a simple set up, very similar to Mike Kz's.

We are using a Ford 8.8 out of a 1994 Mazda B4000 4x4 (Ford Ranger) that we cut 3 7/8 inches out of the drivers tube. This was so we could use another passengers side axle from a ranger on the drivers side. Worked out great, the pinion is 1/2" off center and flange to flange is a hair over 54 1/2". We swapped the stock Mazda 3.73 gear set with some 4.10's as well.

The ladder bars are the Jegs SS bars and we bought the Jegs crossmember to mount it. We are also using the Jegs track bar kit. For shocks we are using the Competition Engineering coil over kit with 100 in/lb springs.

I will try to get more diff pics up for you guys.

This was pretty easy to do, I had ZERO fabrication experience and my buddy and I built this all ourselves. Just don't look at the welds too closely eh!.:icon11:

wow.. you didnt have to have the tubes shortened or the axles cut? wow.. what about the weld in points of the 4 link? hard to align? im new to chassis stuff so forgive the ignorance..

Quick update,

Fabed up the fuel cell and battery mounting area. Also finished the track rod install which completes the rear end.

Also the motor is back out and going the the machine shop on Monday. Front cross member has been notched for oil pan clearance and the front suspension is torn down for clean up.

Next comes the TC rod relocation, pretty simple setup. We are using short swagged tubes with rod ends in one end. We cut the original TC rods down and threaded them to run inside the tubes. Also picked up some pre fabed Moroso "u" brackets to weld to the frame in place of the original TC buckets. Got one side mocked up and tacked in place, gonna make the other side now and then finish boxing it all in with plate.

Here are a few photos of our progress.

IMG_0946_thumb.jpg

IMG_0948_thumb.jpg

IMG_0949_thumb.jpg

IMG_0953_thumb.jpg

IMG_0954_thumb.jpg