HybridZ

What's everyones occupation here at HybridZ!?

Guest caseyjones

SB... I'm shocked!! You look at hooters all day and you need a computer systems guy to keep you entertained? That's just warped...

haha he's got a point there.

Silicon Boy, in all fairness, with all the funny random entertaining crap I post, you should post after pictures of your patients!

I guess I'm another one of those "computer guys", but I refuse to say IT.

I actually work as an embedded programmer for a small company that manufactures handheld X-Ray equipment. No, we don't do dental or medical xrays, the equipment is used to analyze the elemental make up of materials. Metals mostly, in fact our unit can tell you the exact elemental make up of over 200 different alloys.

I get to play with several micro-controllers and the associated electronics that control the output of our xray tubes and the detectors that receive the return energies from the material being analyzed.

It's a very interesting job and I enjoy it, but our company was purchased by a German based instrument company last summer and it's been a real roller coaster ever since. I feel like Aux, burned out, I haven't had a full weekend off in 6 months. Our current project is coming to a close so I should have the opportunity to take some time off.

Anyway enough whining, it's time to get back to work.

Wheelman

Full time student getting my BS in Geology, planning on going on and getting my masters in Geology/Hydrology.

When not in school I work for my Dad's environmental service company doing:

Drive yard dog and move tankers around the yard

Shovel nasty sludge

Confined space entry

Clean large (50ft-300ft diameter) tanks at oil terminals

Drive and operate 18 wheeler vac truck

Wash out tankers

Operate dozers, equipment

Work on trucks, change tires, etc etc

Basically that and some more random biatch work.

Pharmacist for 36 yrs. Own home infusion company, high risk o.b. company with offices in Texas & Florida, prosthetic (artifcial limbs) & orthotics company. Sold my private duty nursing company and closed shop pharmacy last yr. 100 employees or so (never know for sure). Almost ready to sell it all so I can work on the old cars!

Here's something to keep in mind...

Life is truly a journey, and is one of opportunities, What you make of them, and how you sell yourself.

June of 1984 I had just graduated highschool and had no clue what I was going to do with my life when, One night after work, I spent from midnight until about 2AM drinking at the local Pizza hut where I was a cook and she was the manager... We got drunk, did things people shouldn't do on the salad bar, and then I jumped in my 73 Celica and drove off at High speed... I got arrested for wreckless endangerment after being clocked doing 110 - 40mph zone... :shock:

After dodging that bullet, at the hands of a cop who was now fighting the town he was sworn to enforce the laws for (Broken leg in a domestic disturbance call sent him off the deep end and throwing cases, mine included), I was given a second change... I signed up for courses at the local community college, got a degree in criminal justice, went on to a number of other universities, got over 400credit hours, was hired by one of those three letter gov't agencies, and started down a path... Since then I've been:

For the Federal Govt:

Law Enforcement Police Officer

Administrative Assistant

Analytical Intell Assistant

All Source Analyst

Movie Maker

Multimedia Production manager

As a Gov't Contractor:

IT Unix System Administrator

Software Test Engineer

Software Test Team lead

Project Manager

Program Manager

Systems Integrator

Systems Engineer

Senior Systems Integrator

BUSINESS OWNER in the Cleared Contract World

I started out making $14390 per year. The moral of this story is that in 20 years I've made a career of change. Change is good, and the quicker you can adapt to change, the faster you will rise above...

Only you can manage your career. Don't let anyone steer you otherwise...

Mike Kelly

President

Brickner, Kelly & Associates

• Like 1

Mikelly

people like you scare me at times......I always detested change unless I was the one forceing it!,.....maybe Im just old but I always prefered to do the same basic job untill ID mastered it and become the best there is at that job!

Ive done complex engineering and extensive sales work and got many awards in both fields

CHANGE was always rammed down my throat, and most change was not for the long term benefit of most, it was driven for the goal , of making it cheaper,faster,and with less employes

seldom Have I seen change solely to improve, or make something better

example

I was a top rated engineer, I got sent into the field with the sales force to help, sell at&t switching equipment, after watching the morrons that did it for a month I approached the area sales manager and requested a chance to sell on my own (keep in mind I was an engineer and engineering was paying my sallery and I got zero commission)

in the first year I outsold the countrys best salesmen by over a MILLION DOLLARS, second year by over 3 million, Id have destroyed the pay/comission curve, if I was getting paid a commission, I was told to go back to engineering as I was making them look bad.

sales fell, I was asked back, but told engineering would no longer pick up my pay check, Id be on commission, I was thrilled UNTILL I was told I would get paid a reduced commission rate AND only aproximately 30% of my sales would count toward the commission as that was the only way I would not screw up the curve! (the boss said 70% of my sales would show as other salesmans sales so ther group would look good)

I told them to stick it! and went back to engineering and got awards for excellence(no money but at least I was recognized)

My formative years were spend doing residential water treatment and purification equipment service and installation. Then I went to college and received my ME degree. Now I work in high purity water production equipment manufacturing doing process and applications engineering. Most of the equipment I design is used in pharmaceuticals. I now understand why medicine is so expensive, the requirements for pharma equipment are ridiculous.:icon56:

Navy for 6 years, got out and worked as a pipefitter (bought the Z at this point in my life)and then a chassis fabricator at Shelby American. Got laid off along with 50% of the rest of the workers there and went back into the Navy. April will be 13 years in for me. As a Hull Technician in the Navy, my job has ranged from unclogging toilets and sewage systems to sheetmetal fabrication and precision TIG welding on submarine reactor components. Right now I mostly hang pictures and fix drinking fountains on shore duty, which will change in a few months when I transfer to a small boat unit and get deployed to the Middle East.

Mike

Entrepreneur here. Went through years of various jobs, mechanic, risk analyst for a credit card processing house, worked for Ronco for years (Popeil Pocket Fisherman, spray on hair, etc), worked for other mail order companies as well, Randy's Ring and Pinion was my last employer. Now I own/operate http://www.thepetdoorstore.com, which is my own mail order company. Kind of a weird thing to sell, but there it is. I've been on my own for 4 years, can't really ever see working for anyone else again...

spray on hair? Is that like fiber glass in a spray can!!!