HybridZ

Ca18et

Pete84

I've done some searching and haven't really found much quality and first hand info on this engine.

How much can the stock block and head take safely? From what I have found, a T25 from a SR20 gets a good bit more boost than stock and just takes rotating the turbo assembly to fit, but what is the limit with that turbo vs stock?. With an intercooler and a T3, what would be possible? What are the limits on the stock injectors and ECU?

Seems like the engine is reliable enough - what goes when something does go wrong?

Thanks!

I don't know exacts but IIRC the CA18DET can handle around 350-400 whp without major modifications. Its supposed to be a pretty strong motor, as to how much it can put out stock or what its stock limitations are, idk. Its basically cheaper to build an SR for the same HP or for more HP to make up the 30lbs weight difference. If you're serious about getting good HP, I'd change out the ECU and get a good tune before I'd try to find the limits of injectors and the turbo. Best of luck in your searching,

Tyson

That is the problem, almost all the data out there is for the CA18 "DET", JDM only, while the one I'm interested is the "ET". Which has weaker rods, but to what limit can they be pushed? A metal-ish head gasket to keep things from bursting and a good tune, but what are the limits of the motor?

So, anyone have much experiance with the SOHC CA18ET, and not the DOHC CA18DET? Things stay cheaper if parts are here stateside in junkyards :P

the rods will be your limitation. people are pushing about 200rwhp out of the ETs. head on over to club-s12.org and poke around there a bit. popular swap is to put all the turbo junk on a 2.0L block. it is a bolt on.

buuuut, if you can find a CA18DE(came in some pulsars), you can grab the rods out of it and they are a bolt on peice to the CA18ET crank.

Thanks all for the info, went over to club-s12.org and read up. Seems to be a good deal more work getting moderate levels of power out of the CA18 as opposed to the VG30ET. Lighter and more mpg's cruising though necessitates more research into the rebuild costs of both engines and subsequent power levels. Living several thousand feet up and 35 miles out from life makes that an issue worth fiddling for.