HybridZ

350hp+ rb engines what oil are you running?

Z U L8R

i don't know how this came up in the conversations but i was surprised to hear what oil some of my friends are running in their motors that have been through a couple years of abuse and still they're not having any problems.

i know rb20's call for 7.5w-30 i forget what 25's are but i was inclined to run 10w-30 in mine.

one friend said "i don't trust lightweight oils in my 25 (r32 projected 800hp) i'll run 20w-50 or 15w-50"

another friend (350rwhp sr20) "i use deisal oil" his car's been on the road for almost 2 years still no problems

i'm gonna probably use the gt30/71r and tial 38mm off my newly acquired project, i've redone my intercooler piping (but will need to again for the 90mm Thr body), aquired an old school profec b, and will have my greddy intake mani on by monday if it comes this week. i'll be more than happy with a RELIABLE 350rwhp, but i'd like to know what oil weight/brand some of you guys are running, and what recommendations would be best for the longevity of my 25. thank you =]

-David-

Not your exact question, but I typically ran Mobil 1 15W50 in the summer and 10W40 or 5W40 in the winter in my turbo SR (300-320 whp). For a time I ran Royal Purple 20W50 but it was too expensive. For gear oil I ran Royal Purple SyncroMax 75W90 for a while, then switched to Redline Heavy Shockproof.

Georgia shouldnt get really extreme temps (hot or cold), so I would expect 10W40 would be good. Havent seen a Nissan engine that didnt spec 5W30 so YMMV.

- Greg -

350rwhp is nothing for a stock rb25. I made a reliable ~500rwhp for quite a while. Didn't break anything until I pushed it to over 600rwhp on the stock motor and pump gas. As for oil, I normally use 10w30 Royal Purple. I am using plain ole 10w30 castrol in this motor at the moment.

JT

ya i saw your car spank that TT hennessey viper. i've been doing a lot of research and i like deisal oils or other cl-4's because of the anti-wear additives they have in them. comp-cams swears by rotella T 15-40 and asking around even more it makes sense to run thicker oil. quaker state also offers "racing oil" which i believe one is a 15-50 and i know mobil 1 has 15-50. basically you're looking for an oil with a lot of zddp which is zinc diaphosphate sumruther which is a good anti-wear additive. the downside of deisal oil is it causes premature catalytic converter failure and it voids factory warrantys....but on 70's Z's...those are both moot points. i will be running deisal oil.