Booztd 3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those pauter's do look nice!

What's your take on I beam vs. H beam though?

what made you plop the cash on the ones you have here.

Secondly, after reading the first 3'rd of the Maximum Boost book (in only 2 days, it's quite a good read!), screwing up an intercooler can have adverse effects if not chosen properly. cfm, air flow, and air density, as well as surface area have a lot to do with the design. 900 hp may be achievable, but at the cost of pulling timing to reduce knock due to unstable intake air charge temps and pressure drops. There's some science to all that airy goodness =)

I think it will work out well for you though, as the 26 and 2JZ are pretty interchangeable in terms of external aftermarket power adders and such, from what I've seen.

Those pauter's do look nice!

What's your take on I beam vs. H beam though?

what made you plop the cash on the ones you have here.

Secondly, after reading the first 3'rd of the Maximum Boost book (in only 2 days, it's quite a good read!), screwing up an intercooler can have adverse effects if not chosen properly. cfm, air flow, and air density, as well as surface area have a lot to do with the design. 900 hp may be achievable, but at the cost of pulling timing to reduce knock due to unstable intake air charge temps and pressure drops. There's some science to all that airy goodness =)

I think it will work out well for you though, as the 26 and 2JZ are pretty interchangeable in terms of external aftermarket power adders and such, from what I've seen.

The reason I chose the FMIC (because you should probably know by the rest of my posts that I dont typically sacrifice economy for quality) is because most of the XS Power, SS Autochrome, etc are all 'knockoffs' of brnad name counterparts. I *think* this particular model was mimmicked off of Greddy's 3 row design. I wouldnt be surprised if they took the Greddy endtanks and had molds cast off of those, and then started reproducing their own.....

Wow!! Thats going to be one wicked RB-Z....

Those Pauter's look nicer than my Carillo's, what do they go for?

Being a dealer for pretty much all of the parts I'm equipping my car with, I cant really say. I *could* however offer you a set of Pauter Rods + CP Pistons for 1800 :)

The reason I chose the FMIC (because you should probably know by the rest of my posts that I dont typically sacrifice economy for quality) is because most of the XS Power, SS Autochrome, etc are all 'knockoffs' of brnad name counterparts. I *think* this particular model was mimmicked off of Greddy's 3 row design. I wouldnt be surprised if they took the Greddy endtanks and had molds cast off of those, and then started reproducing their own.....

Well that's a good way of looking at it. I'm guessing that you've got your fingers crossed that they are about the same size/type as the greddy ones due to how well they've been cast close to the originals.

How much is the price difference? I've read good things about TopSpeed and XS Engineering intercoolers.

Sub-Par camera phone pics, but we got the IC piping all done and the dump tubes as well

GT4202_10.JPG

Looks great. I have one suggestion/question. Why don't you cut and reweld that elbow on the turbo compressor outlet? It seems you could cut out a half inch of the length pointing toward the inner fender there without sacrificing anything. I may be unable to see something else going on there, but I would nibble a bit from the turbo side and a little less from the elbow side and reweld. It looks like you're about to cut out the inner fender to make room.

Looks great. I have one suggestion/question. Why don't you cut and reweld that elbow on the turbo compressor outlet? It seems you could cut out a half inch of the length pointing toward the inner fender there without sacrificing anything. I may be unable to see something else going on there, but I would nibble a bit from the turbo side and a little less from the elbow side and reweld. It looks like you're about to cut out the inner fender to make room.

No more modification will be taking place. The marker line was just to indicate where the IC pipe would be traveling, we had to bend the metal a little bit in that area.

We cut the turbo because there was a huge v-band connection sitting there. I would have had to cut a huge hole in my fender well and then take the IC piping over by the tire in order to get that to work, which IMO would have been way more work than what we did here. The elbow is a 3" diameter, and the OD of the compressor was 3.5" and almost 4" around the V-band flange, so if I would have even gone to all the work to make the v-band setup work, I would have effectively been wasting a 1/2" considering my IC piping is 3".

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update!

I got the car back from the exhaust fabricator today, and I started getting to work assembling everything.

Here's the progress so far

Finally back in MY garage, I missed it while it was gone....

RB26Z_01.JPG

RB26Z_02.JPG

As borat once said......'VERY NICE' My bling-bling parts table....

Bling_Bling_03.JPG

Tomei 5 Layer exhaust gaskets

RB26Z_05.JPG

Manifold on, wastegates & dumptubes on

RB26Z_06.JPG

Turbo on, and clocked

RB26Z_08.JPG

Downpipe on...

RB26Z_14.JPG

Radiator & FMIC mounted

RB26Z_10.JPG

RB26Z_11.JPG

Engine Shot

RB26Z_15.JPG

BOV on the IC piping

RB26Z_13.JPG

Obviously there is still alot of work left to do. I need to figure out the vaccum hoses and everything that needs to stay and go, I've got all the wiring to do, I need to figure out the fuel setup, run the turbo feed/return lines........Hopefully I can have it all ironed out in the next few weeks and get it fired up!