HybridZ

Where should I move to?

JMortensen

Just kidding.

Contrary to the nations popular belief, NW Arkansas really is up there as far as great areas to live.

I'm originally a Charlotte, NC transfer, and have lived here for the past 15 years. Close (1.5 hrs) to Hallet Motor Speedway, basically home to the Branson Z fest, low low crime, great schools (I teach in one of them) and the housing is still very affordable. Price per square foot is in the area of $110-128.

Great places to drive, cycle, etc. College town, so good entertainment. And hey, who else can boast that their football team got beaten by USC by what was it....ONLY 70 points? I mean, come on, that's talent! It still hurts....

I'm trying to Mike to come out here...Dsommers...chime in man!

Bryan

Dat240zg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever think of NJ? Muggy in the summer, icy in the winter, traffic always getting worse, right near where the WTC's used to be, considered to be the "armpit of america", high gas prices, high taxes, high insurance, at least a 5 hour tow to a non-drag track... that's all i can think of in 2 seconds but sure there's much more incentive i can share if i wanted to really make myself suffer :) Happy Hunting.

Northern Miss a best kept secret? I say look in and around Branson Missouri, Osage beach is close, Beautiful Lakes and scenery, and you would not believe the price of houses and land. The area is expanding and you could really make a good real estate investment buying a home there. The weather is mild most of the year and you are pretty close to Springfield, MO. I was there this past summer for a week and I picked up several real estate mags and could not believe the beautiful properties that could be had on the cheap. Lots of job oppertunities and the pay is fairly high. The area brings in lots of tourists and subsequently the schools are well funded. Good luck with your move.

I'll just talk about what I know about, the east bay.

The traffic isn't THAT bad. I'm much rather sit in traffic than fly in it at 60MPH bumper to bumper like LA. And cross commute works like a dream. Housing here has finally become a buyer's market again and prices are starting to waver a little, but I don't think they'll be dropping much. The waether would be great, if you can afford even mild heat & AC. Electricity is insanely expensive. If it weren't for that all seasons are very livable. Ice on windshields is rare and paper thin when found. If summer hits triple digits everyone is crying bloody murder, usually in the 80-90's. Schools suck. They get money, I'll guarentee that, but it never sees the students. Berkeley is the health capitol in the world, and only there can one of the most popular resturants be an "all-organic pizza parlor".

For me, if the lanuage bearier and a job weren't an issue I'd move to japan or germany. But then again I don't mind cold weather.

Good luck house hunting! I think your best options will only open up if you can work the family attachment thing.

You're screwed-- Unless you have relatives in most every town in the USA. Your wife's numbers 1 and 5 are killers.

Since you do have relatives in Sacramento, how about North on I-5 about as far as your wife considers to be "within commuting distance". SCCA's Thunder Hill is at Willows, and there used to be auto crossing in Sac.

Check out Sonoma County, CA.

I lived there 11 years ago. Weather is absolutely perfect (Mediterranean climate), landscape is rural and beautiful (wine country), within an hour of SF or Sac, great for watersports, traffic okay, low crime, good schools, Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) Thunderhill etc. Might be a bit pricey though as the market is swelling in response to the Marin housing market. But that also means if you buy in now you'll earn a ton of equity.

Im gonna have to throw another one in for NC, I live in a smallish town 20 mintues from charlotte. The area has lots of motorsports stuff being a hub for nascar :( , within 2 hours of VIR and Kershaw and driving a little distance will get you to a few others.

its nice here. great weather mild winters lots of trees. Real estate is going up but you can still find nice spots for a good price.

Like matt said we have a little of everything, some of the best beaches in the country on the coast along with the outer banks, and then on the opposite end the blue ridge mountains with amazing scenery and even more amazing roads.

Not to mention its the south and the people are a fair bit more hospitable then many other areas of the country.

I sure dont want to leave. I want to start up a shop somewhat close to my hometown whenever i get out of school. Do something for the import motorsports area which i think could use a little shove over here.

Jon,

Interesting that in your original post you mentioned Boise, Idaho. I grew up there and would go back in a New York minute if I could find a job there. Four seasons with relatively mild summers and winters. Low humidity. Capital of state so government, university, museum, arts, etc. all there. All the outdoor sports you could want - except surfing - and some of the finest mountain roads for exercising a sports car you have ever seen. Obvioulsy close to Utah but a long drive to CA.

Traffic? - what traffic? The total population of the entire county is about 250,000. Good hospitals and the cost of living index indicates its around 90% of the national average which is way cheaper than California - and even Seattle.

Jon' date='

Interesting that in your original post you mentioned Boise, Idaho. I grew up there and would go back in a New York minute if I could find a job there...

Traffic? - what traffic? [/quote']

I grew up there too - in Nampa actually. I agree with all your pros except traffic - I80 is basically the only freeway, and heading into Boise can get really slow.

My brother-in-law is a builder, and he says business is CRAZY right now. People (like my family!) have been checking out of CA for years, so the housing market has been steadily rising. Still cheaper than the Northwest though.

Greg

I was just talking to a girl from Nampa two days ago. She really liked it there, although she prefers Seattle. Checked online and looks like brand new 2700 sq ft upper end houses that would be $900K where I used to live in CA are going for $400 in the Boise area. Figure maybe if you get out of the super rich neighborhood I should find what I want at a price to fit my budget nicely.

Albuquerque has come up a few times in my conversations with the wife.

I'm probably going to have to rent an RV and tour the whole damn country to figure this out...

Well, we don't have tornado's, we don't get hurricanes and we don't get mondo earthquakes, we are immune from tsunami's so that leaves?????

Red River would be my choice, actually a summer house there and a winter house in Jamaica mon. Damn, hope those lottery tickes pay off one of these days!

Well, my .02... I am from NM originally... but havent lived there since 88. While the cost of living is going up there, in relation to the rest of the country it is laughable. Last I checked, mortgage rates in NM were the lowest in the country, and price per foot even in the "nice" areas of Albuquerque are reasonable, hell, steals really. I have lived in a lot of states and briefly in England, and traveled a lot. Even the places I hated had their positives, but I have yet to find an area that completely stacks up the the Southwest in general. (Assuming you dont get hysterical if the ocean isnt within commuting distance.) I really love NM, but I have to give Colorado an edge in quality of life in general. New Mexico has always suffered from a slightly depressed economy and job market, and things like infrastructure, education, and social services leave a bit to be desired. It is Z heaven, if you have a sun-proof dash, and there are great roads and highways for stretching the Z's legs and reflexes. Crime has also become more of an issue there than what it was when I lived there, which really pains me. I still consider it "home" and I hate to see things that put my home in a bad light.

Colorado has most of the same positives as New Mexico; great mountains, great roads, above average outdoor lifestyle, good weather, enough of a change in season to appreciate without being inconvenienced, ect... and has some of the "Big City" bennies, like Pro sports, access to major entertainment at the drop of a hat. Colorado is strong in Pop Culture, New Mexico reeks of Folk Culture. Colorado is green, New Mexico... well, isnt very green. Colorado has good Mexican food, New Mexico started the whole thing and has the best Mexican food on the planet, as well as the best Chilis grown in North America. (Hatch Valley and Big Jims, accept no substitutes = )

If I were taking school age kids, I would go private schooled in NM, while CO has some decent public schooling, as long as you are actively involved in your childs education. (I am a bit biased, I dont consider the majority of us to be as involved and aware as we should be in our childrens education and social developement)

Really, I would say that if you appreciate aspects of life that arent supplied by TV or video games, NM is worth looking into. If you have more finances, like season tickets and manicured infrastructure, CO will appeal. Utah and Arizona are next on my list of preferred states, if you dont mind a preponderance of Mormon-influenced laws (no slur intended) or 20+ days of 100+ degree days per year. (Someone mentioned Flagstaff earlier, beautiful area, nice town last I knew, and had incredible steak = ) Last item on my list.... I have seen no better sunsets in the world than I have experienced in the Southwest, with an edge to Albuquerque; there is nothing that compares to a jaw-dropping sunset in the West, with the Sandia and Monzano mountains lit up in warm pink in the East. You really havent lived till you see that = )

PS: Will be moving to the NM/CO border area very soon.... not ideal, but a nice compromise, brought about by necessity, lol.

what he said ^^^^

I couldn't have said that any better myself....

Hey tannji, when you get settled at the CO/NM border, e-mail me and we can meet if you like. Not many Z fanatics here, especially S30's.

dr_hunt, if you are ever going to be in the Rio Rancho area, let me know, especially if you want some FREE S30 or Z32 parts. Like I told tannji, not many Z mavens here.

John, good luck on your search, but I have found my home, and it sits on desert sand....

Mike

• 4 weeks later...