HybridZ

Confusion wiring up the alternator/ignition/starter (with pictures)

This is a complete re-wiring of my sbc 305 with a keep it clean wiring kit. I am documenting all of this information to help others.

Ok, took off the old giant 25lb starter, and I opened the new one. This wiring kit has the wires labelled every 6 inches, so I have labelled the wires in the drawing.

What Im not understanding is how the starter hooks up the the battery, and I have a roguh idea of how the alternator might work, but I have NO IDEA what the "coil" wire goes too, and the ignition switch and all of the 6 wires that hook up to the ignition switch have me baffled. Any useful help will allow me to document this with drawings (better than this one) that will be used in helping other members on this site. I will call the "keep it clean" wiring tech support on monday if I cant figure it out.

wiring.jpg

Vince posted this, I will take note of it. By the way, I am searching my ass off.

If anyone is wondering, heres how i wired my ignition switch. I had asked "TurboMeister" how he wired his a while back and this is the PM he sent me. So far it seems everything is working fine.

"I have the #5002 Pro street 12 circuit harness.

My ignition switch has 5 wires coming out of it. I will describe the wires with the primary color first and the trace color secondly.

#1.) 12 gage-White/red-attaches to 12 gage Red of Painless B+ in power from fuse block.

#2.) 12 gage Black/blue-attaches to 12 gage Painless purple from starter.

#3.) Black/white attaches to 18 gage Painless red ignition control for B+ power for my MSD ignition box.

#4.) Blue/red attaches to 18 gage Painless orange and 18 gage Painless brown ( I joined these two together and both are now supplying ignition controlled accessory power ). These power accessories only while ignition is turned on.

#5.) Black/yellow is not being used by me.

Looking at the 5 wire connector block this is how the Datsun wires are arranged:

Black/blue-------- empty

Black/white------- Blue/red

Black/yellow------- White/red"

This is a complete re-wiring of my sbc 305 with a keep it clean wiring kit. I am documenting all of this information to help others.

Ok, took off the old giant 25lb starter, and I opened the new one. This wiring kit has the wires labelled every 6 inches, so I have labelled the wires in the drawing.

What Im not understanding is how the starter hooks up the the battery, and I have a roguh idea of how the alternator might work, but I have NO IDEA what the "coil" wire goes too, and the ignition switch and all of the 6 wires that hook up to the ignition switch have me baffled. Any useful help will allow me to document this with drawings (better than this one) that will be used in helping other members on this site. I will call the "keep it clean" wiring tech support on monday if I cant figure it out.

Ok,

well the wire marked "coil" should be attached to the positive side of your ignition coil, this wire gives power to the coil.

the starter draws high amps directly from the battery whenever you start your car. the starter is triggered using 12 volts from your ignition switch. most cars have a heavy gauge feed directly from the battery to the large terminal on the starter, and then a smaller gauge wire from that same terminal goes back into the car and powers everything else, think of the large terminal on the starter as just another battery terminal. It should have a constant twelve volts. naturally if you want to keep the wiring clean and make it look good you will try and run the least amount of extra wires from the large terminal on the starter and just run them off directly off the battery. The wire thats marked "battery" that is near your alternator is the feed from the alternator that charges your battery, depending on what type of alternator you have (one wire, two wire, three wire) determines where this wire will connect, refer to your alternator wiring schematic for those connections. The exciter is simply 12 volts that kick starts the alternator into charge mode....on a one wire alternator you will not need this. if you do have a one wire alternator you will simply hook up the wire that says 'battery" up and thats it

The ignition switch is another story...do you have a multi meter? if so switch it to continuity mode (this means that if you touch the two probes together it should zero itself out..meaning they have made a connection.) test your ignition switches contacts by placing the probe on one contact and the other on another contact..turn the key into position until you have continuity...this will tell you what the switch does. IF you have the original plug with some of the old wires attached it will help greatly..the large red/white wire is the power feed into the switch and the black/yellow wire is for the starter.

my notes and photos are a few thousand miles away from me right now, but you really don't need them. with a decent digital multi-meter and some time it will become clear.

I picked up a 10 dollar gm ignition switch for now, Ill deal with the datsun switch later.

Its 3 terminal alternator. I am going to connect today what I know for a fact is correct, including the exiter and the coil (which I found this morning).

What Im sure about is this sofar....

positive battery to starter (12v)

purple ignition switch from sarter into harness

coil wire to coil

exiter to exiter on alt

Spent 3 hours outside working, and I put the oil pan back on, wire up the starter, only to realize its the wrong kind (the bolt holes are n an offset pattern). I am qutting for this weekend, but I will call the wiring tech supprot and keep this thread updated.

Summit ships within a week dont they?

I printed it up for my reference, but this is making more questions than answers. Such as...

The starter doesnt have to be grounded with an HEI system.

Starter needs an ammeter, dont need that so its confusing.

Im just having problems finding a HEI chevy starter wiring diagram that includes a 3 wire alternator, battery, starter, and the ignition switch. I wired up the tach and the coil yesterday, and did most of the lights. Just dont want to fry my new starter. Also still confused if there are wires coming off of the starter and going back into the car. Thanks.