HybridZ

My 302 has no power, Help!

24 oz

After a year of work I finally got my Z running. It has a ford 302 with Trick Flow Twisted Wedge cylinder heads, performer rpm Intake, edelbrock 600cfm carb, MSD 6AL ignition, Summit HEI Distributor, and a Trick Flow Cam. I dont have the current cam numbers with me but if you need them I will post them. I completely rebuilt the engine and got it running today. I drove the car down the street and it had no power. It wouldn't even spin the tires in first gear, couldn't even get a chirp. It felt like it had about 50 horsepower, it should have around 300. I have no clue what I did wrong, and the only thing I could think of is if the cam is off by a tooth? It has Idler gears for the cam. Please help me figure this one out I am lost. Thanks

Brad

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamNissan
thats cuz it is a ford..lol

Thats not nice man..... lol

Did you check the timing?

Check the air fuel ratio?

Are all cylinders firing?

Thats the 1st 3 things I would check. I wouldnt think its off a tooth or you would need to retard/advance the hell out of the timing to even start it, and if it started it would run so ruff I think you would shut it off.

Check to timing adn firing order do you have a 302 ho.. there are 2 different firing orders on a ford 302 make sure if ya have the ho that is the firing order ya are using and that the cam matches the kind of 302 ya have

people make that mistake all the time even at our shope with ford people that think they know everything.. ti will run on either firing order just like crap on the wrong one cuz like 2 or 4 cyl have the wrong wire.. start there first is easy and nothing has to come appart then go from there

I have the HO firing order and I tried the other one but I couldnt even get it to start it just back fired through the carb. I believe the timing is around 12 but I am gonna get it running and recheck it later tonight. I was never able to get the exact year of the engine and what it was out of, but it is a roller cam. Could I possible have a cam meant for an HO and mine isn't? or vice versa?

Check for restrictions in your fuel lines and check fuel pressure..it it's low it'll idle fine but under load will only make about 50hp (i had a Nissan 720 that had an intermittent problem with the fuel pump module, it would keep running but could only do 25mph up hills...no matter what rpm or gear...)

Make sure the float level in the carb is set right.

If fuel pressure is low it also won't rev worth a crap...you'll be able to ease the rpm up but as soon as you apply load (drop the clutch) the engine will stumble and have no power.

If all checks out there....are you sure your clutch isn't slipping and your parking brake isn't siezed?

It has plenty of gas because I flooded it once already, its hard to get it to idle and run at all, the clutch isn't slipping and my brake isnt seized. I can push the car when the brake is off. sometimes it will back fire through the carb when I try to start, or when I get it to run it it backfires through the carb and dies. Right now I think I have the wrong cam, but I wanna make sure I do before I buy another one.

Another item that you should check is that the valves are adjusted correctly. Because if they are adjusted to tight then you will have some of the problems that you are mentioning. Just my .02.

But I have to agree with the first guy, it is a ford thing!! lol lol

Good luck and I hope you get it running correctly.

HB280ZT

The valves are adusted correctly, I am sure of that. What do you guys mean by the dizzy being off by a tooth? the timing is at about 12 degrees so it shouldn't be that. I am gonna pull the valve covers and check the firing order tomorrow and ill let you know what I get. Thanks for the help

Brad

rotate the engine until its at TDC (on the compession stroke) on cylinder one, check the distributor and make sure that it is in-line with the distributor cap on the first cylinder, chances are its going to be off a bit, remove the distributor and install it so that it is lined up correctly. this will cure your problem.

What is your exhaust setup? I've had the same problem as you (maybe not as bad) but I would floor it in first and get no wheel spin. Even popping the clutch would just chirp the tires - they wouldn't stay spinning. Anyways, it turns out my exhaust was too restrictive. Needless to say, in conjunction with a better exhaust setup and lighter springs in the distributor, she'll light up first through second like nothing. I haven't even adjusted AFRs yet.

To be honest, though, this does sound like a timing issue.

rotate the engine until its at TDC (on the compession stroke) on cylinder one, check the distributor and make sure that it is in-line with the distributor cap on the first cylinder, chances are its going to be off a bit, remove the distributor and install it so that it is lined up correctly. this will cure your problem.

I agree, some people say this dosent happen.. some say it does..

I had a 302 efi w. the tfi..

put the motor @ tdc and note rotor to housing alignment. pull and restab dist back a tooth maintaining housing/rotor alignment and see whayt that does.. ive had the same problem..

Well, it turns out that I had the wrong cam. I have a non HO motor with an HO cam in it. I never knew there was a difference. Besides the firing order being different, is there anything else that is different between these motors?

Well, it turns out that I had the wrong cam. I have a non HO motor with an HO cam in it. I never knew there was a difference. Besides the firing order being different, is there anything else that is different between these motors?

Hey as i said in the first reply ya would never believe how many so called ford guys have no idea about the difference in the 2 motors.. I actually got in an argument with some ford pro.. (self acclaimed that is) at a car show telling me i was an idiot cuz all 302 fords have the same firing order and cam as eachother.. so i just opened the hood on my 88 mustang and a 67 falcon that just happened to have a mid 70 302 and wow old man looked like an a hole .... So just get the cam put it in right and you should love the new found powen.. just remember to put the non ho firing order