HybridZ

My Free Widebody Project

G.I.jonas

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, looks like an ambitious project.

Just wanted to give you headsup that you may (probabally will) have problems with cracking if you don't completely seam weld the outer body panels in.

I have seen it happen with shaved door handles etc... and actually with some bodywork that I had done on my z.

Otherwise keep it up, takes some nads to cut up a car like that!

Evan

Well i did some work lately on my body and have some pics to prove it.I completed the driver side of the metal work and started doing some of the fun stuff.I decided to use a foam core of sandable foam to make my door flares to blend in with my newly widened quarters.Basically layered 4 pieces of foam with adhesive cut the block to conform with the door,glued it on and then started trimming and sanding until it was close enough to glass over.Now it is just a matter of body filler and a lot of sanding.I was initially worried about the door handle but now i really like the cutout in the flare to accomidate it.Keep in mind this is just the first few stages and things will get a little more detailed as time goes on,i also havnt started with the rocker panel yet which is going to follow about the same contour and taper towards the front,should be easy enough for you all to visualize.Now i cant wait to get 5 lug hubs and new huge wheels to see how its really going to look,man i love body work:biggrin: ..enjoy

S3600011.jpg

S3600010.jpg

146.jpg

1-1.jpg

144.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

Looking very good so far. I found chicken net is much easier to work with instead of foam. Something for you to think about and try it out. Good luck.

I am attaching a couple pictures of my rear quarter panel and my dash that used the chicken net to build the structures. The foam will take a lot longer time to build compare to the chicken net IMO.

2079260_318_full.jpg

2079260_295_full.jpg

Looking very good so far. I found chicken net is much easier to work with instead of foam. Something for you to think about and try it out. Good luck.

I am attaching a couple pictures of my rear quarter panel and my dash that used the chicken net to build the structures. The foam will take a lot longer time to build compare to the chicken net IMO.

2079260_318_full.jpg

2079260_295_full.jpg

Holy Heineken batman!

Guest hungy240

R u going to do anything to the front fenders or keep it the way it is? the foam on the door is pretty slick i like it. i have been doing something similar to my 71z. i am glade to c someone else doing something like this also. i am about half way into the fabing and welding and cant wait to get to doing body work on it. i got a few old pics of my project here havent got a chance to get new pics from phone

DSCN0768_thumb.JPG

DSCN0769_thumb.JPG

DSCN0774_thumb.JPG

DSCN0775_thumb.JPG

DSCN0776_thumb.JPG

Wow!! thats weird your pic of the rear in progress gives me deja vu bigtime,looks like you must be running 3" wider as well,in fact just by the pics i know that you are,maybe 3.5"?.I was initially going to do something with the front just as you are,but with the fenders mocked up i really kind of like it as is,at this point im thinking im just going to go with some flares for the front actually and spare myself the pain of all the other work ive already been through while gaining room for big meats as well:grin: .I have got my rockers blended in and done most of the body work on one side.Altogether i am really loving how it is coming together,im just bothered by the fact that i dont have my big wheels and tires on yet,instead i have to visualize it while looking at my 14x6's or whatever they are lol.

Yay,its my mini muscle car.

a4.jpg

a3.jpg

a2.jpg

a.jpg

a1.jpg