HybridZ

fuel rail

tybaldo

I really appreciate it, but it still tickles a little bit to hear it called "clean". You know there is no fuel injection wiring harness in that engine bay? That counts for alot I think...I tell you what, I'll take a current, engine running picture tomorrow and if you still think it looks that clean we can discuss my hourly cleaning bill...also, you'll have to fight RonTyler for the rites to my rusty header...

Oh don't worry, that engine bay wasn't always the paragon of minimalist design that it is today. It was once a real live untouched 1977 egr L28. I did put a lot of work into grinding the holes off of that manifold (I even cut off and then epoxied shut the EGR hole), but it's nowhere near as nice as most of the other guys that are justifiably proud of their clean manifolds and engine bays. I did just drill out the spot welds holding the charcoal canister and MAF brackets (I'm on megasquirt so I didn't need them anymore) the other day, so it's a little cleaner in some regards, but messier in others (not all my wiring is loomed or hidden).

What are your reasons? As long as you have inlet outlet and the regulator you should be fine. Some people even do away with the return line but I personaly wouldn't do it.

Does your regulator still work without a return line? Unless you get one of those restrictor deals that just pinch the line to lower the pressure, I don't see how it could...I assume he want's to clean up his engine bay, that's the only reason I can think of to do it. The easiest (albeit not necessarily the cheapest) way is to get an aftermarket rail, or go to some place like http://www.rossmachineracing.com/index.htm and make your own from some universal rail sections. I got mine from Ebay bundled with the throttle body spacer to use a KA throttle body for around $100 or so, it's been awhile.

Wonderllama, here is a current picture of my engine in running condition (I even cleaned my plug wires for ya):

DSC_0230.jpg

That's actually wrinkle finish black, and the braided lines have rubbed some of it away a bit since I've been fooling with my injectors so much recently. The Y fitting up there was originally a low restriction solution to get fuel into both my SUs that I was running, and since this fuel rail had a provision for several 1/8NPT fittings in addition to the 6 injectors, I decided to keep it and put the pressure gauge in one hole, and use the hole that used to be for the cold start injector to be the FPR feed line. I had heard a theory that feeding a fuel rail from both sides is supposed to give you more consistent feed to all your injectors...I can't say really if that's true, but it looks cool and it definitely doesn't hamper my fuel flow that I can tell.

Yes, you can do that. I ran one like that for a while. You'll have to block off the cold start injector port and the old return port that come off of that line of rail. Just remember not to cut the ends too short, because if you do, the sharp edges will cut through fuel line like no tomorrow (ask me how I know...).