HybridZ

Need help with MAF/ECU swap for non turbos

hey guys. $50 all you can carry so i picked up a lot of stuff today. The 300zx Turbo i had my eye on was crushed before i got there!! i did find a 87 300ZX N/A that i picked up the MAF and the ECU on. I have an 80 280ZX N/A and am just reading all this stuff about Z31 turbo to 280ZXT maf/ecu swaps and can find almost nothing about Z31 to 280ZX N/A swaps. Im wanting to get rid of my stupid AFM.

does anyone have a diagram for the outputs of an 87 300ZX N/A's ECU and the outputs of an 80 280ZX's ECU? im making this work using Crane Cams XR3000 Optical ignition so i dont have to switch out the distributor and using my old 02 sensor from my nissan maxima. Also im putting a resistor to mimick a correct working knock sensor. Someone please help me out in finding these wiring diagrams.

alright guys. found the wiring diagrams. If i can do this in a way that can be duplicated easy, i might make little kits for people if they send me their pigtails. (ill have to think that one out) anyways. Im just going to have to fiind out the resistance output for the maxima's 02 sensor since i already have it, or if thats too hard ill just get one from a 300zx. It turns out the diagrams for our cars are all on autozone.com in the repair information section. how nice of them =). does not look to hard at all when i looked through it. im hoping to eliminate a lot of the goofy mechanical parts that the 280ZX, especially the non-turbo, suffers from. Im having problems with my cold start valve where the car doesnt even start up unless you crank it for like 10 minutes. also, all the silly crap that makes our engines look cluttered. and the silly AFM especially. i also think the XR3000 optical ignition is a good choice for people who dont want to swap out their oil pump drive shafts with their distributor.

I installed a non-turbo 1987 Z31 ECU with it’s mass flow sensor to replace the AFM in a 1979 ZX. This was a few years ago, but I wrote down notes somewhere. I’ll look for them.

I used the Z31 fuel injection wiring harness (modified to fit) so I wouldn’t have to cut up the ZX harness.

I thought the procedure (the sticky) written up by Afshin (for using the turbo Z31 ECU) was pretty informative and helped get me started on this project.

I used the 280ZXT distributor with the Z31 trigger (sensor) wheel. I also used the Z31 O2 sensor by welding a bung (that was drilled and tapped) on the aftermarket ZX header collector pipe.

I did not wish to rewire the ZX fuel pump to use the Z31 ECU directly, so I came up with an interface circuit (using a power transistor) between the ECU and the fuel pump and installed it in the fuel pump relay housing.

you all have these diagrams or notes you were talking about finding? im about to start soldering and i always like looking over other people's stuff before i go and reinvent the wheel so to speak.

I’m still looking. Since the “big move†finding stuff has become a challenge.