HybridZ

Captive Engine Mounts

NZeder

Ok I have searched and searched but I can't find an answer.

I want to replace the stock L6 engine mounts which are non captive (ie if they tear apart the engine is then free to jump all over the place and damage lots of stuff). I know it is not all that likely and correct and regular inspections of the mounts is the answer. However I would like to know if anyone has a bolt in solution. I have heard of using a strap setup so should the mount give up the ghost this strap stop the engine from going to far. I have also seen custom setups using a suspension bushing (see attached pic). I would like to know if anyone has a simple solution ie use a xyz mount and it bolts up fine is captive/fail save.

It would be nice to just a bolt in solution but if something has to be fab up then so be it - so if fab is the only way to go how much interest would there be in mounts? ie make a jig to push a few more out not just the one off set.

enginemount_thumb.JPG

Ok you can only ask - I have emailed Energy Suspension lets see what they come back with (if the reply at all). I have also emailed a place in the UK - they are happy to help if one of there existing mounts/molds is close = next to no R&D they need some measurements and photos/weights etc which I am onto - let see what the outcome is.

I've thought about adapting the motor brackets and/or crossmember for one of Energy Suspension's "universal" mounts, but have never got around to it. It might require very little modification and would probably be more feasable than having a custom urethane engine mount manufactured. Here's ES's page of universal mounts:

http://energysuspension.com/pages/univ3.html

BTW, I've used ES's GM-style transmission mount when I put a 4-speed OD auto transmission in my wife's 280z. A captured mount seemed to be the way to go.

On our ITS car we were allowed one "engine stayrod" to react engine torque. I did this:

On the mount that sees the tension, i.e. the driver's side, I drilled a hole through the entire mount along the stud centerline, which also removed the stud. Then instead of the stud I used a long bolt, and on the side of the mount closest to the engine put a thick rubber washer, a stout metal washer, and a locknut. Viola! Poor man's captured engine mount, and SCCA engine stayrod.

I've thought about adapting the motor brackets and/or crossmember for one of Energy Suspension's "universal" mounts, but have never got around to it. It might require very little modification and would probably be more feasable than having a custom urethane engine mount manufactured. Here's ES's page of universal mounts:

http://energysuspension.com/pages/univ3.html

BTW, I've used ES's GM-style transmission mount when I put a 4-speed OD auto transmission in my wife's 280z. A captured mount seemed to be the way to go.

Hmm that universal mount is close - the two holes are wider apart but the thickness is very very close - looking at the website I can't see that this universal mount is captive - I see the chev ones are the GM/Ford Trans mounts are but I don't want to assume the universal engine mount is - another email on its way to Energy Suspension to get the answer.

Failing that - I am sure the universal GM ones could be fabricated to work.

Ok update time - the universal energy suspension mount, see the link that "HizAndHerz" posted, the unit on the bottom part number 2.1102 is used in the Jeep range of vehicles from the 70's through to the mid 80's.

So I am still waiting to hear back from ES themselves but a search on the many Jeep sites show this mount does appear to have the ES safety interlock.

Taking some measurements from the stock engine mounts shows these units are almost the same thickness (height of the stock unit ie 40mm and the ES unit is 1.56" = 39.6mm the coat of paint on the new stock mount I have is the only difference :) ).

The stud (who knows I am from the metric part of the world so what is the metric equalivant of the Stud Size- 2 7/16"-14, .915" (2 8/32") but the stock units has a M10x27mm stud) but I assume this is close enough too. So the only issue is that the stock mount has the stud slightly of center to the two mounting holes/bolts (going my by eyecrometer) of about 7mm and the locating pin thing is not on the uni mount.

Then this uni mount has the two holes between 4.406" and 4.781" apart were as the stock units is approx 80mm (3.156")

So looks like once I hear back from ES I might be looking at getting some of these units if they do have their safety interlock system then I will just modify the bracket that comes of the engine block so the holes are wider apart and in the correct location etc. If this pans out I will make a jig so I can make more of these block to engine mount brackets.

Will update once I call ES tomorrow to confirm that their 2.1102 universal mount does include the safety interlock.

:) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I never did hear back form ES Customer Services about if these Uni/Jeep mounts did have the safety interlock in them. So I asked a fellow Hybridz member State Side to get one and cut it apart.

Result = it does have the safety interlock built-in see the pics attached. So now on to the next phase I will purchase some of these and modify the stock engine brackets to accept these mounts.

So big thank you (you know who you are) :wink: for getting this and cutting it up :)

DSC00679 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSC00680 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSC00681 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSC00682 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSC00683 (Small)_thumb.JPG

• 2 years later...
BUMP. Did you ever use these urethane engine mounts? Feedback?
yes I did. However the car is still in the panel shop so feedback will have to wait. I used these and one of their gearbox mounts for my RB conversion due to the interlock design.

Along the lines of the 'stayrod' the LD28 has a mount that incorporates a hydraulic dampner to quell engine vibrations. It's on the side that never breaks (unless you really are geared towards using a LOT of engine breaking ability!)... A similar setup on the tension side would have similar results, and knock down vibration as well.

Good Information on the poly mount! With the old Corvairs, you would put a bolt through the motor mount with a locknut to hold it together, keeping the soft rubber characteristics, limiting the torquover of the engine when launching, and keeping the engine from falling oiut of the bottom of the car should the mount fail (they did that regularly on the 60-64 models before GM came up with a throughbolt fix of their own much later!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Heres an old thread brought back to life.  Can't see any reason for a new thread when the data is already here?

I ordered the Jeep mounts as referenced above and as indicated the tabs on the Jeep mount are way wider than the L28 mounts.

Initially i just enlarged the L28 mount holes and I think you could drill new holes in the ES Jeep mount and that would be fine... i guess.

But, I think I will cut off the bent ears on the L28 mount and weld on a new piece of 3/16" steel to the stock mount and match the shape of the ES Jeep mount and drill matching holes.

I will postemup some piks. 

k.

Tj

PS>  The ES Jeep mounts are beefy and will appear to be way more stifferer and about the same installed height. They might be a teence taller, but I can account for that (in theory) with the placement of the new welded on plate.  In actuality, its gonna bee what it is.