HybridZ

Sudden loss of power/boost on Z31

typhoone

I went driving today, and everything was going great. It was boosting fine, the gears were shifting pretty good, then.....just about nothing.

It WILL NOT boost, it is very shaky, and it's acceleration is almost non-existent..... what happened? there is one bar at the bottom of the oil guage, so i am pretty sure i have SOME oil, and since it was still running i know that the motor isn't locked up. i didn't hear any pinging noises so i know i didn't detonate....so why won't i boost? Did my MAF just go out all of a sudden???? Please help, i really like this car...and i want to drive it more.....

Thanks for all your help

-Typhoone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little more info is needed before any meaningful response can be given.

What were you doing right before "just about nothing" happened?

Give as much detail as possible.

Just as a starting point I'd check all the electrical connections and vacuum lines.

Wheelman

I was driving down the road, I took a had to brake coming to a stop-sign, I stopped, I took the turn. I started going again and it wasokay. got up to 5th gear again, started slowing down, came up to another stop-sign and that is when everything sucked. I drove back home heartbroken. I parked, and saw my oil guage on 0

Guest TeamNissan

Idk one doesnt seem to go with another. Like the oil pump going would cause the low preasure but it wouldnt effect boost. The maf would cause a boost prob and erratic running engine but not a oil preasure prob. Any more symptoms you can list? Smells? noises? series of events when you start the car then give it gas?

How high were you revving between shifts?

Were you running the car hard or just cruising?

Were you trying to do any burnouts or race anyone?

What was the oil pressure during the whole sequence of events?

Have you checked your oil since you parked it?

Did you hear anything out of the ordinary?

Was the engine sputtering, backfiring, coughing, pinging, etc..?

What did the temp gauge read?

After you shut it off did you try to restart it? If so, did it start? Was it hard to start?

Are you out of gas?

Is the battery good?

What did the voltmeter read when the car was running? Did it go up when you revved the engine?

Wheelman

there is one bar at the bottom of the oil guage, so i am pretty sure i have SOME oil, and since it was still running i know that the motor isn't locked up.

I parked, and saw my oil guage on 0

Could you go at least CHECK the oil leven, not go by what the gauge says?

If you were romping on it with low (or non-existant) oil level there is a chance you could have seized the turbo, which would cause no boost and terrible engine response due to exhaust restriction.

Mario

I don't know what the oil pressure or voltometer was throughout the ride. it did kind of sputter. it wouldn't rev, I wasn't doing burnouts but I was driving it decently strong, shifting at around 4500nrpm, tried checking the oil...where is the dipstick hidden? after I stopped at the house I turned it off, then on again. started pretty easily. temp guage was right in the middle.

Sorry about your trouble typhoone, I really don't have much advice to give. You did use a horrible title though, so I'm going to change that for you. The reason why it is so bad is because you don't know anything about what is in the thread until you open it. In the future try to use descriptive titles. Thanks and good luck with the Z31.

In what condition is the car, is it rusted in the firewall area?

One thing I noted, in your description of the problem was that it happened after you hit the brakes.

I ask, cause a few years back I was driving a friend's old Civic and had to hit the brakes pretty hard after a moron pulled out of his driveway without looking, everything seemed normal after I stopped, but when I let go of the brakes, the car stalled, I started it again and it would run pretty crummy and die.

I opened the hood, only to discover that I had hit the brakes so hard that I actually punched a hole in the booster, the car would ingest a lot of unmetered air and it would just die.

What I did to get the car home was that I took a pen that was in the car and I stuck it in the booster's hose.

I had to drive with no booster, but at least it ran fine.

Maybe you should take a look at your booster to see if it's not rusted and cracked after you braked.

I know it's far fetched, but at least it's a start.