HybridZ

Sudden loss of power/boost on Z31

typhoone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you need to take it to a garage.

You don't want me telling you where the dipstick is.

Now that was funny!!!! LMAO!

The dipstick should be on the drivers side of the engine.

If you cannot find it one of two things is happening.

1 - The dipstick is missing

2 - you have no business under the hood of any car. (no offence)

what is the best oil to use in these cars? what weight?

10w30 is always a good choice. The owner's manual should list what oils should be used. Be sure to change the oil pretty often as the turbocharger definitely reduces oil life. The 3,000 mile standard is good to go by.

I personally use Castrol GTX 10w30 in the majority of my vehicles including my Z31 Turbo and Maxima with a Z31-T engine. Brand is really just personal choice most of the time.

The dip stick is on the driver's side, around the intake pipe if I remember correctly.

Well, apparently my Oil Sending Unit is CRAP because i have plenty of oil in my car. i checked all the connections to the turbo, and none of them seemed loose in the least....then i was like okay....let's see if it was a fluke. i got in the car, did a little driving and at first it was so so. it is building boost, but only up to 3 psi....what is going on here? it still seems like a boost leak or something....any ideas of what could be wrong? Could it be my MAF? i know i am retarded...and i know i am pathetic...but that is why i am asking you guys....help the retard...please.

What is plenty of oil?

Did you actually look at the dipstick?

Checking for boost leaks can be a pain, go through all the intake piping and check for disconnected, cracked, or ripped boots, hoses, etc.

Some people have built nice boost testers, basically a big plug with a pressure gauge and a compressor fitting. They pressurize the intake and listen/feel for air hissing out. If it's boosting 3psi then it's probably a boost leak.

Also check to make sure that your wastegate actuator moves without binding/stopping. It could be sticking open.

Mario

don't have an intercooler, i want one really bad, but i have only driven this car at total of 3 times....and yeah...lol.

Yes i checked the stick, and when i mean there is plenty i mean there was oil pass the thick part of the dipstick. I am used to the dipsticks being more pronounced, and that one was hidden pretty well, at least to me. Trust me, i know when the oil is low... if i actually find the dipstick....lol

I only had a couple of seconds to check everything...i am back at work again. I will try to get the Z up onto a little bump in my yard tomorrrow so i can get up under it and test the connections much more thorough.

if your AFM was bad ,your car would not rev over 3k (atleast this is what happens when it is disconected)

the car idles fine right???

take this to z31performance.com , they will definetly get you going over there . no offense to all hybrid'ers i love hybridz.org because of all the know-how , but this is not the best site for z31-specific information.

How long was your car sitting before you checked the oil?? Let the car sit a good 10 min, pull the dipstick out, clean it off stick it back in, and pull it out again and read it, if your oil line is -----< that much over the full line your internals are swimming in oil and this is NOT GOOD. If its at the line then your ok but I dont like seeing oil levels right at the full line, so anywhere between halfway and full is good. Did you change the oil when you got the car??? If not get it changed. Who knows what happened to the car before you had it. If there is too much oil in the car this could have damaged the oil sending unit.