HybridZ

Sudden loss of power/boost on Z31

typhoone

Typhoone;

You are not a Dip Stick, and certainly not retarded. Einstein, Graham, Bell, ALL OF US for that matter started out knowing nothing. You are in good company, as like you, these men continued to learn.

I run a n.a. (naturally assperated) 79 ZX. The only thing I know about Turbos is that there is a "go around" inside somewhere. Keep us posted.

Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, you said keep you updated, o here you go.

I jacked the car up, got under the car, looked for anything dissconnected, check for loose clamps etc...and no luck. I don't know what else to do, so I guess I will take it to a shop tomorrow and get them to pressure tezt it and all that fun stuff that I am unable to do. but, on the plus side, I did fix the dash...I guess it's good I am able to do SOMETHING on my car successfully. I really want to drive this car, so hopefully they will be able to fix it quickly...I am going crazy. so far I have spent around 1800 for a car that I have yet to drive without problems.... :'-(

....can someone PLEASE tell me where the dipstick is? I am not joking on this. I looked for it but I must be blind...

Suggestion. Buy a Haynes manual and read it. Most basic, simple questions are answered in there. It also has a lot of good information on how to do most repairs on the car as well as basic diagnostic information.

It's probably the best ~$15 you can spend on your car. And it should be the first $15 you spend on your car. Don't waste your money on the Chilton's manual. They suck. And once you have the Haynes manual, start watching e-bay for a good factory service manual. Most of the CD versions are junk. Buy the actual book version.

Actually as a mechanic i have found that haynes manuals can be the biggest waste of 15 bucks ever,in fact they usually are.If you relly have an interest in your car and you want to do whats best for it find a factory manual for it if you can,e-bay is a good place to start.Even the cheap cd roms of factory manuals are better than haynes.

The factory service manuals are great. But for the average shade tree mechanic, they go into too much detail. The Haynes manual for the Z31 gets enough of the basics down that makes it simple to follow. They also include a lot more pictures and a few extra diagrams that the FSMs just don't show. I'll agree that a mechanic probably wouldn't find the Haynes useful. But if he's having a problem finding the dipstick, it doesn't sound like he's anywhere near a mechanic's level. ;)

I would definitely take a Haynes over a Chiltons, that's for sure. Kind of funny though, the Chiltons is printed by Haynes. Anyways, yeah the Chilton Z31 book I had had wires in the vacuum diagram... that pretty much ended it for me right there. Haynes will definitely help you out in a lot of areas but down the road when you start getting deeper into the car, definitely think about getting the FSM.

My major issue with the basic repair books is it covers way too many models in a single book... that just causes way too many issues.

I found both the Haynes and Chiltons manuals to be a waste of paper. I have a haynes for my Z and my daughter bought a chiltons for her Mustang. Invariably it works out that the one piece of information I need is not there or is wrong.

I snapped 2 ball joint bolts trying to torque them to the specs called for in my Haynes, turns out the correct torque was 20lbs/in and the manual called for 40. A manual you can't trust is worse than useless. I don't use my haynes for anything.

Both these series of manuals are published by the same company and in my opinion are junk, but you know what is said about opinions (They're just like a$$holes, everybody has one and it usually stinks).

Wheelman

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I FIXED IT!!! lol, i know it isn't a huge thing, but i fixed it myself, no garage, no buddies looking over my shoulder, no anything but me cussing at my knuckles for continuously hitting somthing stronger than them. lol. i found the problem the other day, but i just overlooked it. The first small pipe that connects the turbo to the intake was the problem. i have pushed it on harder a couple times, then i noticed a little orange thing sitting around the turbo. Well, i called up Eric, the guy i got the Z from, and asked him exactly that was, considering i have never seen one of those for a turbo package before. Well, aparently that first pipe was pretty loose, and he decided to place that in the entrance to that pipe so it would be a nice tight fit. Well, i took off that pipe, placed the orange piece back in, replaced the piping, tightened down everything, and went for a ride.....AND IT WAS PERFECT. the dash was fine, the turbo spooled all the way up, and i was SOOOOOOOOO happy. so YAY ME!!!!!!!!!! just thought i would say all that fun stuff. :-D