HybridZ

biggest tire width on a 7inch rim???

i was wondering im running 16x7 but measures 8 inch from lip to lip but thats considered a 7inch is what they say. i want to run the widest tire possible and was wondering whats the widest i can go on it? i was told 245 was the widest. i have clearances either side. searched but mostly came up with clearance threads. 245-45-16 is what i might run. thanks.

im running 16x7 but measures 8 inch from lip to lip but thats considered a 7inch is what they say

Advertised widths are between the rim lips. Usually the outside-to-outside dimension of the lips is 1" more (each lip being about 1/2" wide)

In general, a 245/45ZR16 is designed to fit a wheel that is 7.5" to 9" wide (advertised width). Depending upon the tire manufacturer, this could go up in a range from 8" to 9.5". Based upon this I would reconsider this size of tire on a 7" rim.

There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding tire widths for rims with 7" advertised width. I'm run 225/45-17 on my 17x7 rims and I believe they are the widest recommended tire for a 7" wide rim. Although that's the widest recommended tire there's been some testing that suggests you can actually get better traction going with a narrower tire such as 215.

These threads discuss 17" rims, but I think the data would be similar for 16" rims.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112952 - expecially post #2

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113577

I'm running 225/50-16 Falken RT-615 Azenis on 7" wide rims. The guys at the tire shop had a fun time getting them on so I would say 245s would be pushing it especially in a 45 profile.

Which tires are you thinking of running?

Some manufactures will push the size specs so one tire may be wider and/or taller than another of the "same" size, consequently if you want to maximize your tire size you should check with a shop that sells the tire you're interested in.

Wheelman

i was thinking about running some nitto or or toyo or khumo. depends on the prices. 225 is what i had plan for in the first place. 225 is what ill probably be running. fat tires looks nice, but dont want to push it. maybe if i roll up on some 235s. wheelman, got any rear pics?

I can take some rear pictures. I had to roll my rear wheel wells and trim a small amount from the wheel well part of my air dam in front to prevent rubbing.

Have you done much actual looking for sizes larger than 225 in a 16" rim?

I wanted to run 40 or 45 series tires in 225 width but had a very hard time finding any tires in that size. I considered going to 245 but now that I've got the 225s I'm glad I didn't try, they woould have been too wide and a real pain to mount.

Edit: I am running 1.5" adapter/spacers with the rims I have. This may be part of the reason I had a rubbing problem. Before I converted to coilovers I had about 1/4" clearance between the tire and spring so couldn't really use a smaller spacer.

Wheelman

tires size is not an issue to find for me. whats gonna be safe and work is what im looking for. i would love to have 245s but i might get 235s. 235s to me, are the hardest tires to get. fender roll and clearance is not an issue. ill be running zg flare. right now i have 205-55-16 and man they look ugly. heres a pic in my album if anyones interested.

mesh_straight_view.JPG

If you're running flares why not take advantage of that fact and run a wider rim with the correct size tire on it? 16 x 9 with a 255 or so should fit if the offset is right...

I agree, The skinniest your rears should be with ZG flares is 8.5 with a moderatly - offset like -19 to -30. I have 8.5's -30mm offset in the rear with 225/50's and they fit really nice. Dont make the mistake of running ZG flares with 7'' rims and spacers and all that jazz, I've been there and your never satisfied, thats if you dont loose a rim on the expressway first.

All tire manufacturers post the recomended wheel width range for each specific tire and size on their website... I think that would be the best place to look.

Yup... what 240hoke said ^^^ above ^^^ !!!

The 245 is the widest part of the tire (the bulge). BF Goodrich

has advertised that their 245/50/16 can fit on 7.0 - 9.0 inch wide

rims. This may not apply with other tire manufacturers.

Guest 280ZForce

I run a 225 wide tire on my 16x7 Riken mesh wheels... this is pretty much the widest tire you should run on a 7" wide rim for safety reasons imo.