HybridZ

Duplicolor Paint Shop

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably do but I'm all the way in california... I'm afraid of what the shipping might cost for 8 quarts of blue metallic.

Shipping is free if you order $50 worth of stuff. They do have some rules however:

http://www.partsamerica.com/Help/HelpCenterOfferDetailsShipping.aspx

Offer Detailsspaclear.gifFree shipping offer applies to ground shipping of orders greater than $50.00.

This Free Shipping offer excludes:

• Core charges, taxes and additional shipping charges,
  • APO/FPO addresses and Post Office (P.O.) boxes (must ship to any of the contiguous 48 United States),
  • Individual items weighing more than 20 pounds. If an item on the order exceeds the 20 pound weight limit, shipping charges will be calculated for that item only; other qualified items will be shipped for free,
  • Items containing hazardous materials,
  • Items deemed by the carrier to be oversize,
  • Backordered merchandise,
  • Gift cards of any dollar value not included in this offer.

Offer may be modified or discontinued at any time. Upon Check Out, the ground shipping option will be displayed as free for orders meeting the above criteria.

If you have any questions about this offer, please contact Customer Service.

Just want to add if nobody found out that Adavance auto parts is kragen auto parts in california from my understanding

I don't know about that, but when you order on-line from Advanced you are actually ordering from partsamerica. The stores and partsamerica are partners but have different inventories. You pick up some orders at the store if the store stocks it but not everything.

I don't know about that, but when you order on-line from Advanced you are actually ordering from partsamerica. The stores and partsamerica are partners but have different inventories. You pick up some orders at the store if the store stocks it but not everything.

Didn't know that, thanks a lot. I just remember ordering some Mechanix glove online and picked it up at Kragen.

No, pretty cheap. I work at advance auto, and we carry a few colors in stock. I have been wanting to see if the "hugger orange" looks in person.

I work for advance here in Austin, been looking at the paint shop pretty hard myself... my car reeeeeally needs paint and I'm thinking seriously about trying it out....

Just want to add if nobody found out that Adavance auto parts is kragen auto parts in california from my understanding
Well, Advance is mostly in the east coast area, and now has spread to the mid US. Western Auto was bought by Advance, but they havent spread out twoard california as of yet. To quote Deja:
That's definately right, Advance's online store is actually Part's America, and they have partners and affiliates all across the US.

Back to the Paint shop. From what I've seen, it's really easy, and it's something I've been really looking forward to carrying in our store. We just started stocking it (at least at the advance where i work) about 2-3 months ago.

I may be trying it out here in the next few months after I get my bodywork done.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!! The autozone not so far from my house got the dupli color paint shop, though it only has jet black, grey primer, and clear coat. Whats the clear coat do? I have a 240sx and the roof is peeling something white and the color is red. Is that the clear coat I never knew. Any pics of how it turned out Georgia Flash?

• 2 weeks later...

Georgia Flash, how did it turn out? any pics in the sun? I think I will do my engine bay this way. Should I go with the:

Primer+ Gloss Black..or

Primer+ Flat Black + Clear Coat

Anybody else use this paint yet?

Thanks,

Greg

I would go the primer, black, clear route. put down a bunch of clear. Wet sand the primer to 800 grit sand the color to 800 grit, spay 3-4 coats of clear, sant it to 2000 grit, and polish it with a good polishing system. I think the pait will take and hold a good shine, my only concern is for how long. It has been a LONG time since I worked in laquer and I'm not sure how hard the paint is when fully dry. Keith

is this water based so it has no isocyanates? that is its not poisonous?. If so I would use. On their internet they wore a 'neoshe' sp? mask. What spray equipment did you folks use? size of nozel etc. hvlp??

I wonder what RacerX, thinks of this product. It looks too good to be true.

here is their website.

'http://www.duplicolor.com/training/autospray_training.html'

Ferd

Ferd/289,

This product is a lacquer based system. I am no chemist, but I did look at the MSDS sheet (which is clumsy to get to on the web site, or should I say off their site, They provide a link to a second party site).

Paint Shop Lacquer, contains no Iso's, but it is nasty to breathe in as it has other horrible things to kill you with. Slowly, I guess, but read the msds and see for your self what your enviromental threshold will take.

I would wear a goood mask.

I am going to use the Dupli-color system to paint my engine bay but here is my question.

I sprayed Rustoleum rust colored primer on some sheet metal repairs I did in the engine bay and also sprayed some other areas as well.

Should I sand this off and hit it with the Dupli-Color primer or do you think it is safe to just primer right over the Rustoleum?

• 3 months later...

Man, that's not bad at all! I just found out about this stuff today. you think you could post some more pictures and details about laying it down/prep work. I'd be really interested to see photos with the wet sanding and a clear coat or two as well. Can you enligten me on how many cans of that stuff you had to buy? Thanks man! Great job!

I am going to use the Dupli-color system to paint my engine bay but here is my question.

I sprayed Rustoleum rust colored primer on some sheet metal repairs I did in the engine bay and also sprayed some other areas as well.

Should I sand this off and hit it with the Dupli-Color primer or do you think it is safe to just primer right over the Rustoleum?

It depends on if you used enamel or lacquer. enamel.. your fine. Lacquer... your screwed. You can try and use a sealing epoxy primer but from my experience these always fail, it's just a matter of how long before it bleeds through.

But hey.. before we get all negative... do a test spot, you'll be able to tell very quickly if it's enamel or not. You'll see spider web type of reaction and crinkleing.. all sorts of fun if it's not.

ALSO... Alot of places WON"T ship hazardous material to cali, paint sometimes falls into that category. Just FYI.

They probably do but I'm all the way in california... I'm afraid of what the shipping might cost for 8 quarts of blue metallic.

8 quarts?! Are you painting a whole fleet of cars? I use Diamont (RM Brand) base coats and I can paint a whole full size car (jambs and all) with three quarts. You have to remember that you are giong to reduce the paint so you end up with almost twice the sprayable material than you buy. Most base paints are reduced by anywhere from 2 to 1 thru 1 to1 ratio. If you buy 8 quarts (two gallon) of base and then reduce it 2/1 you end up with three gallons of color! Thats ALOT of paint. Even if they require no reducer as in the case of some lacquer paints, you still shouldnt need two gallons to paint any car.

I have used the Duplicolor single stage enamel with good results. It takes a few weeks to completely cure as I did not use a hardener (isocan's). I would not use a lacquer as this type of paint never really cures & is susceptible to solvents (eg: gasoline). So using a lacquer in the engine compartment & around the fuel door filling area is a bad idea. Also you cannot paint over lacquer with anything else. It must be completely stripped off to put urethane or acrylic enamels on.

Also the Duplicolor lacquers are a ready to spray mix. No reducing, no hardeners. For anything else follow the manufacturers directions for correct temp. range reducer, reducing mix ratios, adding hardeners & hardener to paint ratio. As in the case of the Duplicolor enamel I used it was a 4 paint to 1 reducer mixture as per manufacturers directions.