HybridZ

1972 240z Rb30det Ground Up Rebuild

sooley

Hi All

Well this is the year. I have been working on my 1972 240Z for 4 years now and am now ready THIS YEAR to finish it off. Over the last 4 years I have fully renoed a house, got married and had a baby girl, so now its time for the Zed to be finished.

My car is a ground up rebuild. The entire car is being done from top to bottom.

So far I have bead blasted the whole car, replaced both door skins, new floor pans, new dog legs, new fibre glass front gaurds, and rear hatch, replaced the roof (to get rid of the pop up sunroof). I have Replaced the suspension with Bilstein Coilovers and have adjustable front and rear control arms and radius rods. I have updated the front brakes to Skyline calipers on the front and discs on the rear also. I am running an R200 LSD with CV's and will run custom sway bars. Also running an MX5 (Miata) power steering rack.

The engine is an RB30 with an RB25 head. I am still decideing at this stage as to which Turbo to run. The motor has CP forge's a custom sump holding 8 litres. Custom fuel system, Greddy plenum with Q45 throttle body. Running brand new RB25 turbo box with Nismo clutch and fly wheel.

I am running a Haltech E11V2 ECU with a Haltech Dash.

Interior is complete dash and centre console from a Silvia S15 with Cobra racing seats and Willian Harnesses. full cage and custom carpets and trim.

Her are some pics of my journey so far.

100_0070_thumb.jpg

100_0085_thumb.JPG

100_0088_thumb.JPG

F1000032_thumb.JPG

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here it is

Totally awesome...any newer pic you can share! Beautiful work and congrats, looks like you have been VERY busy over the past few years - to say the very least.

I love this pic as I spy an AE86 and a R31 in the background.

Yasin

I would like to really recomend a GT35R or a TO4Z.Personally i have a GT35R with a 1.06 exh housing on my rb30/25 240z and it is great but starts running out of air at around 500rwhp.You can get more out of it but its not efficient.If you want more power go the TO4Z.

nice!

more engine pics!

who did the engine work, and what information can you give to the other RB30 threads! we got about 3 RB30 projects on their way or starting up in these forums, if not more!!

Thanks guys for the comments.

I have a local Auto shop doing the work, Ricol Automotive. Great bunch of guys, very up on Nissan stuff and great with fab work.

I originally was goinf for the RB25, but went the RB30 as it will give me a lot more torque and will allow a bigger band of power with the correct match turbo.

Will get more pics and update as soon as I can

Sooley

I would like to really recomend a GT35R or a TO4Z.Personally i have a GT35R with a 1.06 exh housing on my rb30/25 240z and it is great but starts running out of air at around 500rwhp.You can get more out of it but its not efficient.If you want more power go the TO4Z.

Yeah, any advice would be great as I am still tossing up the ideas for which Turbo as its now the RB30 it will have better tourque and I want the car for track work and targa type events so I want the car to have power right the way through. Don't really want it coming on all of a sudden.

Looking good. Is that a brake booster from an S14/S15 or an R32/33? Just curious how far the bolt pattern is to the stock mounting location.

Its a 260Z brake booster as they are a lot bigger than the 240Z ones.

Calipers are 4 spot R33 with braided lines.

Yeah, any advice would be great as I am still tossing up the ideas for which Turbo as its now the RB30 it will have better tourque and I want the car for track work and targa type events so I want the car to have power right the way through. Don't really want it coming on all of a sudden.

If you dont want it coming on all of a sudden,whatever you do,DONT put a .83 exh GT35R on.They are very snappy on on a rb30det.I think the 35R 1.06 exh would be perfect for what you want.The power is quite linear for the size of the turbo and can make good power.Anything over 500rwhp is just going to make it more difficult to drive.I have enough trouble keeping mine straight down a drag strip.I cant imagine trying to go around a corner on the accelerator with that sort of power in a zed.Thats just my opinion anyway.

If you dont want it coming on all of a sudden,whatever you do,DONT put a .83 exh GT35R on.They are very snappy on on a rb30det.I think the 35R 1.06 exh would be perfect for what you want.The power is quite linear for the size of the turbo and can make good power.Anything over 500rwhp is just going to make it more difficult to drive.I have enough trouble keeping mine straight down a drag strip.I cant imagine trying to go around a corner on the accelerator with that sort of power in a zed.Thats just my opinion anyway.

I would jump down to a GT3076R and detune it a bit for response in the 450-500WHP range. Still spools like no other since it's duel BB, and it'll still have mounds of power.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT30/GT3076R_700382_12.htm

What differential ratio are you running?