HybridZ

280z sun roof.

CalifaThugz

I have to say that the Sunroof on iaconsultants car is very nice. And the installation looks very professional.

That said, I don't think I could ever put one into my Z. Most if not all of these that I've seen look like cheap dollar store junk. That are just as badly installed. But iaconsultants car is that exception to the rule I quess.

I have seen pictures of two sucessfully done t-topped s30s. One guy lives in NC and one guys lives in SC. Both guys cut off an entire 280zx t-top roof at the posts, cut their s30 roofs off, and put the 280zx roof on. Lots of work and fab. Anyways they looked pretty well done, but the large s130 t-tops look somewhat over sized and out of place on the s30 roof. There are pictures on here somewhere of a t-topped s30. Jason Jarvis posted it.

I looked at an electronic sunroof similar to iaconsultants's in San Antonio earlier this week and was very impressed with it. Thankfully, my 240z already has a pop-up sunroof in it so all I'm doing is making the hole slightly larger. In fact, I was so impressed, I've moved my paint job up to this June so I can get the sunroof done at the same time.

If you are considering adding a sunroof to your Z, take a look at this product:

www.mysunroof.com

The Hollandia Stratos 300 or 300 L will fit in the Z. It will run $795 installed.

Also just to let you guys, that most of those places will work a better deal on a cash deal. I spend 800 cash if I remember correctly and they would do the work in 3 hours time with me watching. The one thing I wish I had done and probably will do in the future is redo the headliner in a leather that matches the interior. Right now it is a heavy felt/velvet type of cloth. Also I think that area would be a good area for tweeters along the roof sills.

About T-tops. I had a couple of old Z's with them. You will have to add some structural members in the roof area. The ones they did in the 76 and the 77 where almost not there. They both ended up not fitting well and one of those was caused by me taking a corner a bit hard and disaligning the roof line. The sunroof I have does not have that issue and I have put it through some hard turns even a few with dips in the turn and no problems as of yet.

Also Tincup - you might be able to get a larger one in there than the 300 if you want. You can push the sunroof as far back as possible. This will help with the air passing along the top. If they have the motor in the back you could alway redo the plastic molding you have above the hatch and place the light elsewhere. I am fairly certain yours is the same barnd as the one we have. Don't forget to add the sound proofing and heat shield material while the work is being done. I think I put the dimensions of the sunroof on the other posting out there so you can compare the sizes. They always try to put a smaller one in there because it is easier for them and they do not have to work the headliner as much. Good luck

The Hollandia Stratos 300 or 300 L will fit in the Z. It will run $795 installed.

Hollandia products are good quality and we used them when I was in the car business a few years ago. I can't remember anyone having an issue with the units after they were installed. I personally don't like sunroofs ( = sunburn on bald head) but IF I were going to buy one, the Hollandia would be it based on my past experience.

Davy

Thanks for the idea on the tweeters iaconsultants. I'll definately add that to my to-do list.

The motor on the sunroof I looked at was in the front and I've already been warned there will be a noticable difference in thickness where the motor is. I did plan to add the soundproofing barrier to minimize that difference though. Also, I would think a larger sunroof would be easier for the sheetmetal to support since it means there is less sheet metal around the perimeter.

I also read about a product called dynaPlate which I might use on the roof. It's lighter, and stronger, than the original dynamat. i guess it also could provide more structural support to the roof sheetmetal but I have no clue on that.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynaplate.html

I will definately go for the biggest sunroof I can. I'm 6'5" and have about a 1/2" clearance between the roof and my head. Add the autocross helmet I just bought on eBay, and you can imgine the need for a sunroof.

I totally get your point with the hieght issue, me being at 6'8". I have to slouch in the seat and we are going to put in some custom seats since my wife is like 5'3" and she drives the Z more than me at this time. You really do not need any more roof support with the sunroof, but adding a little probably will be alright. We are planning on putting on a sunvisor and I am thinking the one for a late 90's 4-Runner would work fine. My wife likes the visor on the car and it would serve a function too so I am okay with that (cavitation).

Davy, the Hollandia comes with a built in sun shade, so no burnt head.

Haha, then I don't need one! :mrgreen:

I'm not into convertibles or sunroofs, etc. I like a coupe for coupe's sake and I spent money on fixing the sunroof on my Z (not there anymore!).

Davy

• 2 months later...

what about a sunroof and roof section from a 2nd gen rx7. it would be alot of work cutting and welding but they look to be the same curvature and they slide back, easy to come by. got an entire roof for free... anyone seen it done?

I got my car with the rx-7 generation one sunroof in it. Although I really rather not have it, it was one of my cousins wishes that I keep it when he handed it down to me. It looked like ♥♥♥♥ at first, but now that its painted, its starting to grow on me.

The Nasty

100_1199.jpg

Heres my failed attempt to fix it.

12-11-05_1401.jpg

Heres the final look after I got person

IMG_1324.jpg

it doesn't weaken anything, the roof only has structure around the sides and front, now you cut those and the car is gonna fold, but the roof itself has nothing to do with the structure of the car...

I've read the posts and it comes down to either you like it or not. Now there are two destinct designs. The one that is center cut and the one that is more of the TransAm style with the cut outs above the door leaving a small center section in tact. Evildky is correct with respect to the structural support parts. In 1973 I had a sun/ moon roof installed which is larger than most and has a smoked plexy roof section that is contoured to the existing stock roof line/profile. It manually slides in and out of the anodized black aluminum frame. It also features an air deflection wing that slides into the front to deflect the air cavatation on the ears. Opens up the entire car and within 10 secs. I can button it up water tight. It does not detract from the lines or profile of the car. In most cases you don't even see it unless you are standing right next to it and it is a very clean installation. However, the company went out of business years back. But, having one in good working condition, it wouldn't take a whole lot to use it as a master and start knocking them out. I've just started my second company, MuscleZ Motorsports, and I will be featuring some custom dresser parts for the 70-73 240's to start. I should have my car on display at this years JCCS, and will kick off the business there. Currently working on a catalogue and promotional ad slicks. Anyway, I have always loved my sun roof and it has been an intrugal part of the cars accessories. Its just a matter of preference.

VAN

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 280ZX that used to have a sunroof and it sucked. The whole thing was put in aftermarket, and was the biggest flaw in my Z before i had it welded over. Now its one big spot of primer, -50 pounds, more head room and a fancy looking headliner... Ive got to say, with leaking in mind....... SUNROOF Z = NOOOOO. My Z is oven in the Texas weather, but its better then having all of my other parts I just installed ruined by the rain. Ill post pictures later