HybridZ

Seat swap list

bschiltz

2000 Toyota Celica GT seats in a 1977 280Z.

You will need a very large hammer, a crowbar, and a shoehorn. Oh, and lots of grease. Lol. They go in there, but not easily.

I'm 5'9" ~160 and I fit fine. I get 5.25 to 5.5" between the stock steering wheel and the seat. Sitting in the seat with my foot on the clutch I can easily slide my hand between the wheel and my thigh. It took a lot of playing to get the seat straight and square.

CelicaSeatIn280ZMedium.jpg

DS_Left_ClearanceMedium.jpg

DS_RightSide_clearanceMedium.jpg

More pics here:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/HighlyCaffeinated/Zcar/Nov12/

• 1 month later...
Guest znow white

i put rsx seats in mine they sat to high grinded the rails took lots of discs then made brackets from thick sheet metal both i warn you both seats have different configurations when rails are taken off for me i took both sets of rails off so they can sit as low as possible.

before 2608291_26_full.jpg

2608291_27_full.jpg

after

2608291_44_full.jpg

2608291_33.jpg

After

2608291_35_full.jpg

Driver mount also welded 1 inch square tubing to keep the seats at same angle

2608291_46_full.jpg

Passenger mount

2608291_45_full.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest 73LT1Z

Since the belts and retractors are shot on my 1975 280Z, I'd like to get some info also on seats with integrated seat belts. I know the Chrysler Sebring convertibles use these, as I have a pair in another car that I had put in like 10 years ago. I tried to measure the seat width, and got a max width of about 22" (probably a little less than this, it was hard to get to). Looks like this will be too wide for my car. The front bolts holes were about 18" or so. The track on the outside is kind of oddball, the rear mounting part is vertical, so I had used some angle to mount it to the (mostly) flat floor. These seats are plentiful and inexpensive on car-part.com.

I saw a set FS from a 2001 Cadillac Seville that had this feature, but am waiting for the seller to measure them & get back with me.

There was also an older NY Times article that alluded to several vehicles using them and more would be doing so:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9805E6DE1639F936A1575BC0A960958260

Relevant text:

Published: August 25, 1996

The Chrysler Sebring convertible is the first regular-production car built in North America to have integrated front seat belts. The system eliminates the need to anchor the shoulder belts to a pillar between the front and rear windows, instead containing the entire belt apparatus within the seat.

The seats are similar to those in the BMW 8-Series; the Mercedes-Benz SL roadsters have had them since 1990. Additional vehicles will soon be equipped with integrated seat belts; like many new features they are likely to appear first in luxury cars, then move into less expensive vehicles.

''Looking out to the year 2000, we see 20 to 25 percent of the vehicles going to integrated seat belts,'' said Ron Turner, vice president for sales and marketing of TRW's seat-belt business.

''In the next 10 years, there probably won't be a seat supplier using a conventional seat-belt system, except perhaps for specific vehicles like dump trucks or whatever,'' said Ed Colasanti, a product manager at Findlay Industries in Troy, Mich.

I noted Mercedes and BMW 8 series seats are pretty expensive based on my search on car-part.com.

Here is a page on how to wire the Sebring seats, the 96-98 ones are preferred:

http://www.corvairkid.com/sebring.htm

Also, for reference here, I had a set of old seats from my '88 MK3 Supra and the passenger side sits in place fairly well as-is. My seat-of-the-pants :) estimate is that it sat about an inch higher than the Datsun seat. I did not try the driver side yet, since it is a power seat and heavy/hard to move around. I can see where you could use some steel angle and make brackets for the passenger side- the Toyota bolts holes/tracks are wider than the Datsun holes. The passenger seat seemed to have a good range of motion, but the seatbelt hook on the side was real close to the glass with the door closed.

Here are some pics:

Supra seat in Datsun:

Overall:

IMG_2107-10.jpg

Front mount points (outside is cutoff on the bottom of the pic, it has a large hole on the tab):

IMG_2108-10.jpg

Left rear mount point (by trans tunnel) :

IMG_2110-10.jpg

Right rear mount point (by door) :

IMG_2109-10.jpg

Sebring seat in Corvair:

Overall:

IMG_2111-10.jpg

Left front mount point:

IMG_2112-10.jpg

Right front mount point:

IMG_2113-10.jpg

Left rear mount point (by door) :

IMG_2115-10.jpg

Right rear mount point (by console) :

IMG_2114-10.jpg

Guest 73LT1Z

I can't edit my earlier post. I did get the seller's measurements on the Seville seats from the seller:

They are about 21 inches wide, 25 inches from front to back, Mounting tracks are 20 inches wide, and about 21 inches from front to back. These seats have 2 bolts that go in the back, one from top to bottom, the other goes in from the side. Front has metal hooks that hook into the unibody.

It sounds like these are too wide for my car.

I am also looking at Procar seats as sold by Summit and others. I found a link to their 2008 catalog in PDF format here (3.75 MB):

http://www.procarbyscat.com/PDFs/PROCAR08.pdf

They make seat adapters specific to the Z car and others. All part numbers are here:

http://www.procarbyscat.com/SeatAdapters.htm

For the 240/260/280/ZX, the part numbers are:

Model--Years--Driver Side--Passenger Side

240Z 69-74, 81210 / 81210

260Z/280Z 75-76, 81212 / 81212

280Z 77-78, 81214 / 81214

280ZX 79-83, 81216 / 81217

Kind of pricey @ around $77 each for my '75.

To find these in the Summit catalog online, add SCA- to the part number.

I am considering buying a pair of the Sportsman seats and adding some after market 3 point seat belts- look like they should bolt in.

I'd like some feedback from anyone that has used the Procar seats- comfort, durability, ease of install, etc?

• 2 months later...
3-1.jpg

Corbeau a4s. great for anybody whos under 6'1 ish. im 5'9 so its a great fit with plenty of support. Does raise you about 3 inches thou (compared to stock seats). Seats are also much taller and a little wider. Only issue is that it touches the door panel when the door is closed. i can live with that thou.

this is a pretty bad pic. once i put my dash and interior pic in ill take better pics.

Does it touch the door panel because of the way you mounted the seat or is it an extremely tight fit in general? I was thinking about doing with a wide version of the seat, as I am 6'1" with about a 36 waist...

I am replacing my floor panels... could they be welded lower than stock and be ok? This is to give me more cabin room....

Does it touch the door panel because of the way you mounted the seat or is it an extremely tight fit in general? I was thinking about doing with a wide version of the seat, as I am 6'1" with about a 36 waist...

I am replacing my floor panels... could they be welded lower than stock and be ok? This is to give me more cabin room....

It no longer touches. I changed my door panels to thinner ones with no padding, and modified the mounts so that the seats sit closer to the center of the car. I mounted mine on top of the stock mounts to place my higher because im short (5'9). If you mount it directly to the floor you should have plenty of head room.

• 4 weeks later...

I have '86 Z31 seats in my S130 and they weren't exactly bolt-in. The Z31 slider rails are about 3/4" further apart, so I wound up using washers to clamp the side of the tunnel-side rails. The rear also had to be spaced up to level out the seats, the outer a bit more than the inner rail (at the very least, you need to space the outside to straighten the sliders). I actually ran out of stud before I had the seats where I really wanted them. By preference I'd have lowered the front, but that's not really possible without some fab work.

There's a bit of interference with the lower seat belt mount at the seat hinge which on the driver's side prevents the (power) seat from going all the way back, but my legs are short enough that isn't a problem. Biggest problem for me is that the original rear studs place the seat too far back, as the Z31 sliders aren't as long as the S130 ones.

Also, for anyone considering this: the Z31 seat belt buckles will latch onto the S130 belt. They will not hold the belt. Ask me how I know this. :banghead:

Summary: only 1 rail will bolt directly on, spacers are required, transplant your original belt buckles, watch for interference with the seat belt if you have long legs.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are the S2000 seats sitting in my Z. They are not a bolt in and required the sheet metal to be modified to get them to sit in the car. The trans tunnel is too wide on the drivers side of my 280z for these to fit. I had to beat that down. I'm going to be doing some welding for nice brackets this week hopefully.

I think the S2000 seats look the best!

I might be a little biased though ;)

Oct15pic029.jpg

The s2k seats are very wide at the sliders. I think ~ 20" at the sliders. I've torn out my whole floor pan in my car so its not an issue on my car. If you have a 280z, prepare to mount them up high, or do a lot of cutting and weld :)

Justin

Mine's a 260 and the fit is perfect, there's about 1/2" space all around the seats, looks as if the seats were made for this car.

I do feel I might be sitting a little high, not sure as I haven't sat in another 240/260 to compare and my old seats were so bad that I know I was sitting way too low.

• 2 weeks later...