HybridZ

1978 - I've had her for 3 years

Guest Denzo

Guest Denzo

Beauty car let me tell you. Its my second Z ( first was when i was 19 - bought a 1983 300zx w/ T tops - god awlful paint but man, she could do donuts till the tank ran dry) and I've had a love affair with Zs since... i think since i was 12.

Anyway. Heres the issue. Shes getting along in her years, and #1 and #5 have a little fouling, some of the barrings in the transmission are starting to go ..etc..etc...

Really for 1400$ with minimal rust and a strong engine - the aforementioned is nothing to complain about.

Heres the catch. I baby the car. I have a 1999cbr900RR thats twinked to all hell thats my "when I want to go fast" ride. The Z is just for cruising and taking the gf around n craps.

Recently I scored a great new job, but I now have a commute of about 12miles 1 way ( used to ride my bicycle daily and use my Z only 3 -4 times a week)

Well as you can imagine, I'd like to keep the Z as long as possible and in the best condition as possible.

I'm looking @ about 850$ for the ring / engine work to "maybe" fix the fouling in 1 and 5 and have the valves resurfaced

then another 1k ish in parts and labor for a new trans.

Heres what I was wondering and I'm hoping some of you could point me in the right direction :

I want to completely replace the engine and transmission brand new ( or as close to OEM New as possible) and am willing to drop the 7 - 9k to do it, as the body work I have and will continue to do myself - im just not good with a wrench ( God basically said : wrench or airbrush & computers dude - i took the airbrush and computers) but i have a family mechanic that I've known and used for literally 10+ys so the work isnt the issue.

If any of you guys know where / who to goto for a newly built 280z ( L28i ) engine and matching trans . Id be much appreciated .

The 2nd love of my life :

ZMASTER.jpg