HybridZ

Speedhut gauge faces installed, finally!

2003z

My gauges are just....ick.

I bought a '70 240z and the tach/boost gauge is autometer, but the rest are stock. They barely light up too....not to mention the speedo reads 33 mph high and jumps up and down, lol.

I've got some work to do, but this thread gave me some good ideas. Looks great everyone!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be ordering some new gauges what size are the speedo and tacho

and what are the oil pressure gauge sizes i dont want to order somethink that ont fit

cheers GARRY

Garry,

http://www.speedhut.com/el_dial_products.asp

Use this link. I think it will direct you to the speedhut page that shows the Datsun Kits. These are for the 70-75, years with the ammeter. There are two kits on that has the 0-160 speedometer and the other with the 10-160 speedometer. Then all you have to do is use there online simulator to pick your colors and fonts...

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
What size gauges are those for the speedometer and tachometer (I assume the 4inch?) How difficult was the install for you? Any fitment issues with them not ligning up perfectly or anything? Thanks

Use the link that is on my previous post (about 3 post up), this should take you to the Datsun Kits. These kits are designed specifically for your application, (no need for measuring diameters and whatnot).

I did have some fitment issues. First of all, I had them make my kit with a voltmeter instead of the ammeter. I took a photo of my gauge and emailed it as an attachment. When I recieved the kit the "chg" light hole was not large enough and the overlay interfered with the voltmeter pointer movement. The clock was printed off-center by 2mm. I got in touch with Erin in the service department at speedhut and everything was taken care of, with no problem! It was a very good experience.

Tim

In everyone's opinion, how worth it was the purchase?

I'm incredibly interested in having backlit gauges, don't mind not being able to see the needle with ultimate ease, and was wondering what everyone else thought?

How much of an upgrade was this compared to the standard gauges? in terms of lighting? quality? look? anything else?

thanks,

Ken

In everyone's opinion, how worth it was the purchase?

I'm incredibly interested in having backlit gauges, don't mind not being able to see the needle with ultimate ease, and was wondering what everyone else thought?

How much of an upgrade was this compared to the standard gauges? in terms of lighting? quality? look? anything else?

thanks,

Ken

Yes, it's definitely worth the purchase. They look great, fairly easy to install, and very easy to read.

I don't know if it because of the faces, but I've gone through a couple of oil pressure/water pressure gauges. The oil pressure part of the gauges stopped working a couple of times now.

• 11 months later...
Use the link that is on my previous post (about 3 post up), this should take you to the Datsun Kits. These kits are designed specifically for your application, (no need for measuring diameters and whatnot).

I did have some fitment issues. First of all, I had them make my kit with a voltmeter instead of the ammeter. I took a photo of my gauge and emailed it as an attachment. When I recieved the kit the "chg" light hole was not large enough and the overlay interfered with the voltmeter pointer movement. The clock was printed off-center by 2mm. I got in touch with Erin in the service department at speedhut and everything was taken care of, with no problem! It was a very good experience.

Tim

I decided to resurrect this old thread after my dealing with Speedhut and the gauge faces I purchased from them. I finally had some time and bought a complete gauge set from another user so I had them to use for the overlays.

First and foremost, I read a thread from over 2 years ago about the tach and speedo being piggybacked together, not a good way to go when you have to remove these gauges from the front. In that post, the user had contacted Erin and was told they were unaware of the problem and would correct it. Guess what? 2 Plus years later and they are STILL sending out ther overlays the same way. You are left with 2 options, one, cutting and splicing the wires, or two, installing one guages, passing the face and wire for the other though the hole in the dash and trying to install it from the footwell. Not good either way IMHO.

Then, I have the same problem with my Ammeter/Voltmeter. They state on their website they make overlays from 69-78 model years, yet they are STILL sending out an ammeter for the later model cars. After reading your post about having one custommade, I had to reply.

I contacted Erin earlier today and spoke with him about the problem. I told him about the ammeter and how the overlay was cut straight across the top and my gauge is actually dished out for the needle to move. I told him that the overlay prevented the needle from moving at all. I also told him that my gauge has a red "charge" light in it and they made no accommodation for the red light, it keeps the overlay from laying down flat.

Erin acted like he had never heard of the problem before I called. I contacted him because I wanted to attempt to make these work. I was able to take out the red light so the overlay was flat and wanted to see if it was safe to modify it, using a Dremel to sand down the flat area to accept the needle. He told me to take an Exacto knife and carefully cut out the area I needed to have the needle clear the overlay.

I also asked him about the piggybacked wires and he at least did acknowledge they were aware of that but have yet to change their tooling around. I told him about the post I read from 2 years ago and how I had emailed him when I bought the overlays 6 months ago and at that time was told, every installation is different, you will have to cut and splice or dremel out the gauge bodies.

So, sorry for the long reply. The product is nicely made, please dont get me wrong. I just think that they have been aware of certain issues (obviously the ammeter dilemna) and have never taken any steps to correct it. If they made a "custom" voltmeter for you, they should have been including that on orders of later model cars. I shouldnt have to be told to cut up the face I just spent $100 on to make it work.

That said, I did adapt it, hooked it up and it still worked after cutting it. I just think that Speedhut should address these issues. I told Erin that I post the good and bad in these forums, I give them a C overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My turn to resurrect this thread. I purchased and installed the set and I'm very happy with the light, except I have had difficulty painting the needles with anything that will show up at night. I tried putting UV LEDs in the original bulb housings and then painting the needles with UV paint, but there wasn't enough light.

Apparently 'glow in the dark' paint stops working after a few months of use.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am a bit flummoxed.

If you want to see pics of my install go to this link:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,3000.0.html

I had the same problem with the needles not showing up, I painted mine in bright orange. I then used stock bulbs (new) and removed the green lens from each gauge. I spliced in the power to the speedhut kit to the wires going to the clock. In doing that, I am able to use the stock dimmer knob and it controls both the stock dash lights and the speedhut faces. The dimmer for the gauge kit works independently as well.

You can see the needles in the photos but they do show up better in person. They are not vibrant but they are more easily readable.

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

The gauges look great, especially while retaining a stock layout. But...

If speedhut can't figure out a solution for the invisible needles, count me out. I'd rather sacrifice my turning indicators and brake warning for something I can see at all times at a glance. Plus, I'll get to upgrade to an odometer that actually shows my mileage!

Speedhut had a good idea, and the idea of having a reverse glow gauge set in your z is great. But if they're going to make a stock (improved) replacement, they shouldn't be doing it half-assed.

Has anyone approached them about this before?

I've emailed Speedhut and I'll let you know if they reply with anything useful.

I really doubt tha you will get the reply you are looking for. I called and spoke with Erin and my complaints went in one and out the other. My first issue was with the speedo/tach wired together. I noticed in the link to your post on another site, you show cutting the wire on the 2 guages. It would have been so easy to link 2 of the smaller gauges together since they are installed from behind. I read a post concerning this from almost 2 years ago and they were told by Speedhut the problem would be fixed. I was told by Erin that they are "yet" to rework the tooling.

The easy scenario is to include a 2 into 1 adaptor so you dont have to cut the wire as you did. I actually installed the tach/speedo without cutting/splicing. I fed the wire through the tach hole and pulled it back out the speedo hole and installed the face while the gauge was in the car. Not an easy feat but it can be done.

My next issue was with the voltmeter/ammeter gauge. I was told by Erin that he was unaware of the difference in model years. I then found a post from 6 months ago from a guy that had Speedhut "custom make" the proper face for a later model car with an ammeter. I think that Speedhut should specify a model year and send the correct face. Once again, I made it work, by taking out the red charge light and cutting the new gauge face but it isnt correct.

On the needles not showing up, I cant really put the blame on Speedhut. Most newer cars have needles which are backlit and would be easily readable. I went through the same thing you are by not wanting to reinstall stock bulbs. I only had to do it to one as I tested the first gauge in the car before doing the others. I think they look alot better without the stock bulbs on but once again, if you cant see the needles, what good is the upgrade?

I did this upgrade because of the obvious problem in reading the stock gauges. I thought this would be a cool and fairly inexpensive ($100 with shipping) solution. Overall, even though this post sounds negative, I am happy with the result. The product is VERY well made. If Speedhut would tweak the issues, I would do it all over again.

BTW...did you tie the electric into your stock guage wiring so that the faces work with your stock dimmer as I described?

Nah mate I didn't. If I was doing the install again I definitely would because its a bloody good idea. I'm giving the UV thing a try again to see what it's like when its installed and it actually looks like it might work. I'll still have some residual light from the LED but it might blend well purple and blue.

I also bought 10 new stock bulbs so if all else fails I'll do what you did.

Nah mate I didn't. If I was doing the install again I definitely would because its a bloody good idea. I'm giving the UV thing a try again to see what it's like when its installed and it actually looks like it might work. I'll still have some residual light from the LED but it might blend well purple and blue.

I also bought 10 new stock bulbs so if all else fails I'll do what you did.

I was thinking about giving the UV thing a try after I made my post. Seems like it *should* work. Its either that or I figure out how to make an electronic speedo work in place of my mechanical one. I think option A might be easier, and cheaper.

• 1 year later...

Here's a doozy for you. The speedo and tach are now wired on their own connectors making for a seemingly easier install. However, the inverter only has 4 connectors for the 5 gauge leads...DOH! You would have thought they would have thought about this as an...oh, I don't know...install SYSTEM kit. Why change one thing yet leave another the same solving nothing? I think I would prefer that the gauges by wired together than splcing into the power harness...

R/

Dustin

UPDATE:

I got a response back from Speehut and they said that the kit was indeed supposed to include a "Y" adapter to hook up the last gauge. So to make things easy, I'll connect everything but the clock and "Y" into the harness with the ammeter when the adapter gets here...