HybridZ

Speedhut gauge faces installed, finally!

2003z

I think I got them about a year ago when they did the initial run. I wanted stock looking, but lighted dials. Just got them put in the car and working today. I do need to straighten out the speedo though, and I might need to paint the needles with glow in the dark paint, although you can see them in the actual car. I took all the stock lights out.

speedhutcr1.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

do the lights you use plug into the existing plugs?

no, the lighting is built into the new gauge overlays. I disconnected all of the old lightbulbs and wired the controller into the old lighting circuit.

Here is a video of me driving at night with my speedhut gauge faces.

The stock bulbs light the needles up nicely and the reverse EL glo lets you see the numbers. The effect is actually quite factory looking.

The stock lighting is also much brighter if you punch out the green "colorizers" in those stock gauges, then it's a nice cool white light.

Mike, is that a before photo?
no, thats the speedhut gage faces in the daytime. I chose the setup that would look most like stock, reverse el-glo, block letters/numbers and no added logos. Plain and Simple!

Only thing I see as a problem is.... I cant see your needles... I cant really see them in the pictures, and I cant see them in the video either.

Are they a lot easier to see in car as opposed to in pictures?

I have the reverse glow gauges in my Toyota daily, and i rigged them up on a seperate switch from the Headlights/needles. (they guage faces are sometimes too bright late at night if my eyes are tired) It's set up so I can either turn on just the faces and my fog lights, just the needles and headlights, or both. If i turn on just the guage face/foglight combo at night, I can kinda see where the needle is on the speedo or the tach, but i have to really stare at it to see it, I cant just glance....

That kinda looks like the same deal in your picture, the guages are lit up, but the needles arent. You said you unplugged the other lights... I guess what I'm asking is, are you running with "stealth needles" or did you leave one or two lights plugged and they're just really dark? I really like the look of those guage faces, i especially like the black face/stock look to them in the day time, but I already have too many speeding tickets :P and want bright needles too.

Only thing I see as a problem is.... I cant see your needles... I cant really see them in the pictures, and I cant see them in the video either.
You are correct. I am planning on pulling the dash back out and painting the needles with a glow in the dark paint for mine.

You are correct. I am planning on pulling the dash back out and painting the needles with a glow in the dark paint for mine.

Ok, that makes sense then, sorry for my rantish question, I hadnt slept in well over 24hours and wasnt sure what i was saying or asking anymore

Would it be very difficult for a electronic newbie to install these gauge faces? I am thinking of getting some now, they look really good.

EDIT:If you really wanted to do some work, you could get some illuminated needels out of a newer car, and modify them to work in your gauges. Just a thought.

Would it be very difficult for a electronic newbie to install these gauge faces? I am thinking of getting some now, they look really good.

EDIT:If you really wanted to do some work, you could get some illuminated needels out of a newer car, and modify them to work in your gauges. Just a thought.

its very simple. The hardest part is either taking the dash out to get the gauges out, or taking the gauges out of the dash while its installed. Once you have the gauges, these just slip over the needles and plug into their own harness. That harness is connected with 2 wires.

Just in case anyone is interested, here's a picture of my Speedhut El Glo gauge faces (I still need to get a dash cap and ditch the mat).

DSCF3250.JPG

I tried to get mine to look as close to the AutoMeter Speedo and Tach as possible. Of course, they don't look the same when they're lit, but I'm still happy with it. I painted the needles flourescent orange during the installation, but I think any color would show up on my gauge faces.

2003z , the reverse El Glo looks nice!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

The dashes are looking great. New to this thread, but here is a pic from my EL Glow from Speedhut. There realy is nothing out there as far as overlays is concerned. The templates they have on the web only include the ammeter. I sent pictures of my voltmeter/fuel and they made mine custom.

2877_thumb.attach

Thanks for looking,

Tim