HybridZ

Alternatives to Rebello

I'm looking for a new motor for my 20Z. I've spoken with Rebello and would love a 3.1L from them but I don't really want to spend $7K+ on a new motor. Are there any other reputable engine builders out there than can do this for under $6K?

Should I just walk around the MSA show with a sign that says "Stroker needed"?

There've been a few used ones for sale recently. Check out Zcar.com 70-83 tech forum and do a search on stroker, 3.1, etc. Two of these were for sale in California.

If you are willing to spend up to $5,999 for an engine, why not front the additional $1000? Also, the last time I called Rebello (9 months ago), their stroker build was not that expensive. If you can source the crank, block and head, you are golden. I seem to recall the entire build was around $5000 to $6000 and that included a set of triple Mikunis.

Do you want to buy cheaper parts or cheaper labor?

Most homebuilt strokers do not match the power of a pre built 2.8 which ought to make your pricepoint. Heck, a probuilt 2.4 will make 175hp through stock SUs, while most stockers just make 115hp with the "same" stuff.

Maybe you ought to work the power to price deal rather than the displacement to price deal. It takes a lot of fancy and expensive suspension work to put down much more than that 175hp a stocker can make.

Do you want to buy cheaper parts or cheaper labor?

Most homebuilt strokers do not match the power of a pre built 2.8 which ought to make your pricepoint. Heck, a probuilt 2.4 will make 175hp through stock SUs, while most stockers just make 115hp with the "same" stuff.

Maybe you ought to work the power to price deal rather than the displacement to price deal. It takes a lot of fancy and expensive suspension work to put down much more than that 175hp a stocker can make.

The thing is...I don't want to have $12K-$15K into a car that will never be worth more than $8K. Between the purchase price, the body work, and basic suspension and brake upgrades I'll have roughly $6K in the car and II still need a amotor and an interior. I figured $5-6K on a motor and $1.5K for the interior and she should be fine.

Maybe I should just have a local builder rebuild an L28 and put some Ztherapy carbs and a good exhaust on it and call it a day.

BTW...you wouldn't happen to be the D. Hale of Marina Autocross fame?

It's a car. It's supposed to cost 2x or more what it will sell for. It's not cheaper to build your own compared to having a factory do it for you. The "idea" is to build it for yourself and wear it out.

On the other hand, you gotta plan and budget everything, and a stroker motor is pretty uncommon since it just fails most everyone's budget test.

Yeah, Dennis Hale with the pink 510 autocross car be me. I just got censored on the Miata list for not showing enough respect to the drifter kids who peed in bottles for me to clean up last time we were there. Censored or not, that was one step too far.

Maybe I should just have a local builder rebuild an L28 and put some Ztherapy carbs and a good exhaust on it and call it a day.

Exactly! If you're on a budget, spend the money on chassis and suspension. There are lots of 175hp 240Zs out there that will humiliate much more powerful cars on a race track. Probably as many 150hp 510s doing the same thing.

There are lots of 175hp 240Zs out there that will humiliate much more powerful cars on a race track.

Yep! We be one of those cars and proud of it. LOL

A well prepped 2.4L, some suspension work, track tires and you will have more fun at the track then you can shake a stick at!!! And watch the other drivers mouth drop when they find out what's been running down their $30K to $50K rides lap after lap. he he he

It should be illegal for the amount excitement you can get for the dollar you spend on a Z car. It's not that bad when you plan it in stages and break down your project into small achieveable goals. You'll need to plan some of your money for track time to learn to use it too.

I'll chime in: at the last track day with the 350z club, my 240 was dead even on the straights, slightly better in braking (mine don't fade anymore), and slightly worse on high speed sweepers (too much push) compared to the stock 350zs. Given I have around 10k in my car with a midlly built L28 (with my 2 hands in my garage), AND mine is not depreciating, I was having a great time. A little negative camber via camber bushings in the front and I'm hoping to solve the push issue too.

Once I finish the FI conversion, my focus will be all on fine tuning the handling further, and improving my driving skills. Pretty fun to see the 34 year old car running with the modern stuff :) BIG GRIN! And in fairness to the 350Z guys, they're happy to see the old skool join in as well.

Thanks for all the input.

The big difference betwen most of you and me is that I do not have the space or experience to build my own engine. I could certainly source all the parts needed to put together a nice engine for les than $2,500. Unfortunately i live in an apartment in LA. There's no garage, no engine stand, no wall of tools. :icon_frow I have to pay for labor on this project and while I realize that you get what you pay for, I'd like to get as much as I can for what my project budget will allow.

When I was at the MSA show I spoke with a gentleman from Vincent Foreign car in Covina. He gave me a price of $3,500 to basically rebuild the motor and carbs. I'm also going to contact Slover's in North Hollywood. Last time I spoke with them they mentioned that they had someone that would asseble the engine if I sourced all the parts.

If someone in the LA area cares to show/help me build the motor; I'd be more than happy to buy all the parts, pizza, and beer needed to get it done right.

• 9 years later...

Dighera's Law of Performance Automobile Ownership:

"A car is a hole suspended in mid air by inedible rubber doughnuts.

Into this hole you throw vast amounts of money, which you will never see again."

Anybody predicating performance modification costs based on RESALE value is wrongheaded in the first place.

Market escalation notwithstanding...