HybridZ

Paint question, Candy/Pearl

V8_DatZun

Ok. i've used the single stage paints some and im now intrested in multi-stage painting. i've kind of been pondering on this combo... if anyone can chime in i'd appreciate it...

*first mid to dark primer

*second .004 silver flake 1 possibly 2 coats depends on how much glitter after first coat

*third 2 candy blue coats

*fourth 2 clear coats (to protect the candy just incase i screw up)

*fifth 2 coats of white pearl

*last 2 coats of clear

that adds up to be what..possibly 10 coats (not counting the primer) would this combo even work out right? i put the flakes before the candy because i want them to be subtle being the candy is partially translucent.. anyone who knows about multi-stage painting please chime in... im new so be kind lol

Guest TeamNissan

It sounds like it will come out looking nice but I wouldnt clear between coats and dont really like candies and pearls. If ever you need to paint a section you will never in a 100 years get it to match 100%. For a show car sure but for a street car its going to be trouble.

yeah... i thought about the touchup thing also.. but... i mean by the time that came along i'd probably be ready to repaint anyway (hopefully.. knowing my luck it would be 2 days after i painted it lol) so.. you say no clear between? i only said that because i read the clear would help protect the "artwork" underneath incase you screwed up and had a run after you cleared and started on the next step... if you're good i guess it wouldnt matter. lol

I agree w/ teamnissan, just trying to repair one single rock chip or a door ding on a candy/3-stage paint job is near impossible. Too many variable are involved (air pressure, temp, spray distance, coats, toners) to execute an exact color match. It would sure look pretty tho.

RC

Guest TeamNissan

Its not just lil thing over time so much as a accident. I mean your out enjoying the day and a shoping cart hits your door fairly hard.... Now your going to have to look at that every time you try to sit back and enjoy your paint job. lol

the flakes im suggesting are .004 in size... not really a flake at all.. its called their "dust" line of flakes. and on their site it says that spraying pearl over the candy gives an "intresting look" i agree about the shopping cart.. lol and im not going to just go with what you guys say (not being mean or anything) i just wanted opinions i know there are too many factors to acutally say "yes this will look good". i plan on testing out various ways of doing it and in different sequences to see what looks best.. and as far as the pearl.. i believe they were saying basically to LIGHTLY dust it on... i want the final job to look candy blue with hints of the metallic dust, and in the light have a sort of white glow to it... from the pearl... any suggestions on how to get this done? was i going in the right direction? thanks for all of the info so far guys my friend and i have been doing single stage paint jobs around here and now we want to up our game... test it out on the ZX or my 2005 Silverado first lol...

as i understand it.. candy concentrate is added to clear... if your base is dark the shade of the candy will be affected differently than if it is a lighter base.. so if i understand you correctly.. then yes it can be done that way.. but depending on how much concentrate you add... if you add ALOT it wont matter what your base is really... candy is transparent.. but only to a certain degree..

Guest TeamNissan

That seemed a little uncalled for, I was asking a honest question. You should calm down a bit maybe.......

Drew,

Please refrain from comments like that because our Moderators are very very strict!! Members can sometimes come across as being abrasive but reading words without "tone" can easily be misunderstood!

What makes our forum unique is the fact that our moderators won't allow HybridZ to become like most other forums which allow profanity to be thrown around - even if abbreviated!! Just a word of caution please!

Thanks for understanding!

RacerX

For Ernie:

Reading over the posts; you might recall the "Dust" V8 mentioned. That is what we called "Moon Dust" back in the 70's. Not as big as flake but coarser than metallic. The trick is to shoot it on the dry side, similar to the Imron technique.

For Drew:

Can't understand what PC you had to bring about your unprovoked verbal assault on two other members of this forum. Perhaps you misunderstood something? The funny thing about this...your listed as a Junior Member, so there are "scales" all over the floor, so watch where you step! Secondly, your Profile says your Profession is Law Enforcement...Here's a little side bar for ya. You need to be here a while and make your "bones" before spouting off. Secondly, your outburst neither credits you nor that of your Department...don't ya know, A!

• 2 weeks later...

the stuff im talking about is really fine mica (believe the spelling is correct) i think its something like .004" in size.. very subtle look.. just looking for a show quality finish (the prices i can get it for.. theres no reason i cant sand down and repaint if i get a few nics and dings) i saw a few that were blue candy with green pearl... could only see the green when the sun hit it.. looked like a green glow to the paint.. pretty cool.. i saw white pearl figured it would look better than the green on my car.

• 5 months later...

I don't do body work for a living, but I have used many brands and types of paint. By far the easiest ( also the most expensive) was House of Kolor. I used thier Lacquer for the exterior and Enamel for the engine bay, etc., that was 20 years ago, still looks good. I will use them again in the near future as I am totaly re-doing my z again, probably with urethane.