HybridZ

280ZX harness mounting?

JDMFairladyZX

Hey guys just got my Corbeau Foza seat installed and planning on buying a Corbeau harness, but I want some of your opinions on what I should go with. My dilema is, Im not sure if I should get a 5 point with wrapping style and wrap it to my Cusco rear strut bar because im worried that thats not a safe method, or go with a cheaper 3 or 4 point and bolt it to the body but without a roll bar...which should I do, problem is my factory seatbelts dont work so in an accident im flying through the windshield!:icon11: and can't afford a roll cage right now:mad: I need to get a harness ASAP! I daily drive the car and plan to AutoX, please help! Thanks!

Well a harness will kill you unless its mounted at shoulder level. Otherwise, it as you fly forward, it will pull down and compress your spine.

woah! I thought youll only get a bit hurt I didnt know itll kill you! Well Im looking at Autopower roll bars but i saw a pic of a S30 with one and...the harness bar was way lower than any seats harness slots:icon_frow Anyone have one in a S130 or a pic? Oh and for a quick fix should I just buy a wrap harness and warp it to my strut bar until i get a roll bar? Like i said im really worried im going to die in this car real soon, its my daily and I drive alot of miles everyday to school. oh and thanks for the quick replies!

Well Im looking at Autopower roll bars but i saw a pic of a S30 with one and...the harness bar was way lower than any seats harness slots

Hes talking about where the harness comes out of the seat in relation to your shoulders, not where it mounts.

Hes talking about where the harness comes out of the seat in relation to your shoulders, not where it mounts.

My shoulders sit right at the harness slots, but what ive been told is that its unsafe to have the harness bolted at any angle more 20degrees, and thus is why people use roll bars, but then I said the onyl bar ive found was Autopowers and in a HybridZ thread someone posted a pic of theirs in their S30 and how they were unhappy that the roll bar was so low in relation to the harness slots. He had to weld a new bar higer to be able to wrap his harness. So are you telling me as long as my shoulders are lines up to the slots I can run the harness without a roll bar? That would be real good news!

You can't fix the stock seatbelts? They're really simple design. I'm about to pull mine and clean them up and get them retracting properly again. They sag a bit, but still work.

How do you fix them? Mine dont retract they kinda hang limp and they dont lock when I pull on them:(

My shoulders sit right at the harness slots, but what ive been told is that its unsafe to have the harness bolted at any angle more 20degrees, and thus is why people use roll bars, but then I said the onyl bar ive found was Autopowers and in a HybridZ thread someone posted a pic of theirs in their S30 and how they were unhappy that the roll bar was so low in relation to the harness slots. He had to weld a new bar higer to be able to wrap his harness. So are you telling me as long as my shoulders are lines up to the slots I can run the harness without a roll bar? That would be real good news!

(

I would not want to trust the seat back to not compress in an accident. I would stay with the 20 deg. and keeping those straps short.

So are you telling me as long as my shoulders are lines up to the slots I can run the harness without a roll bar?

No, i was speaking about your shoulders in relation to the harness, I also plan on running my harness through the roll bar and i have a small bar welded on to do so.

Read and understand the instructions of the harness manufacturer. If you are in SoCal, take the time to drive up to Glendale, and buy a set of harnesses from Jim Deist. The instructions are very clear, and you can ask the man himself about any concerns you have.

If I lived in Texas, I would probably go to Impact PArts, and buy something off Bill Simpson. When you can talk to the man who makes it, there is not a single reason you can't have all the questions answered.

As an aside, Dave and I both can feel Svelte when talking with Jim Deist. LOL

Take a look at various sanctioning bodies rulebooks for rollbar/harness mounting ideas. Many copy manufacturers information, it really doesn't vary much from companyn to company. The LAST thing you want to do is anchor those shoulder harnesses on the floor behind the driver---TOTALLY useless.

Lets' not turn anyone here into the next "Dale Earnhardt" because the 'feel' of the harness isn't right---there is an engineering reason you need to anchor the belts the way the manufacturer recommends.

There's really not much to the stock belts. Usually what happens is the retractor spring and assembly gets gunked up and it makes it stick causing the saggy effect. Pull the interior panel and yank that seat belt assembly out. You'll see what I'm talking about. Take a can of WD40 and spray the moving assemblies (keep it off the belt as much as possible). Let it soak then take an air hose and spray it out REALLY good to get the gunk out. Then just lube it up with a spray can of white lithium grease and all should be good.

Wow thanks for the replies guys!

80LT1: Which Autpower roll bar is that? The Race one? It looks very good:grin:

Shady: I talked to someone who said they were gonna run their Scroth harnesses that way on another forum, That is a 4 point harness correct? Would it be better to buy a 3 point if I were to mount like you since it is to one bolt? Oh and I have a Cusco rear strut bar, is that gonna be a problem for mounting the harness there, or maybe instead of a metal tab I can bolt the harness under the strut bars plate?

naviathan: Thank you so much for that!!!! Im gonna go do this right after I get home from classes today. I wont have to worry about being unsafe driving my car anymore and will allow me to save up and do my harness the right way instead of rushing to just get it and mount it wrong or unsafely!

Thanks again guys!!!

You can see where my harness is going to mount. Im a big and tall guy so i need to mount it high and i also need to have a custom harness made if i cant find one that fits me. Tony, maybe you know where i can find a big one? I havent heard Svelte in a long time, LOL!

rollbar.jpg

Guest 280ZForce

here's what I did...

I have the basic Autopower roll bar, then I went and got the correct size tubing and had a shop weld on a cross bar to the main member of it so that I could strap my harnesses to it at a safe level.

IMG_1921.jpg

I believe I bought my bar from either MSA or VB(black dragon now). It's the SCCA approved one. They had 2 different kinds at the time, the SCCA one just has the small flat bar on the one side.

Guy