HybridZ

seatbelts won't lock

cobra_280z

hey guys, lately i have come to the conclusion that my stock seatbelts are shot. they retract just fine, but they won't lock on any sort of a consistent basis. I went to the junkyard, but each of the 4-5 z's i checked had the same problem... is this a common malady on our cars, and is there a way to fix the stock belts? i was thinking possibly 4 point harness... i have been searching hybrid and the web in general for some information, but to no avail. thanks for the replies.

Guest 280ZForce

this is when you tie them together. :P

nah jk, i think you can find them on ebay quite often, other than that I'd look into harnesses. A lot of us run them on here.

I think the problem is the the actual buckle that locks on the seatbelt is so old and has been used over and over and over, it wears out the latch inside. but I'm sure you know this already.

Have you tried bringing your seat belt hook to the jy and trying to latch it into other Nissan/Datsun cars? Maybe you could use the buckle from another car?

I just noticed the other day that i could not get my belts to lock up. I'll likely be going with fiero seats this summer, and this pic caught my eye:

http://www.2bluesc.com/pictures/Other/interior/seats22.jpg

So i'm thinking i'll run a race style harness with that. That sad part is that harness's are not legal here, so i may still be forced to wear my non functioning stock belt around town, and maybe just the lap belt for safety.

The link posted by Zmanco has some what appear to be street legal 4 point belts:

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/am4point.html

They don't look as race-y as the other harness you can buy, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the 5-0 ticketing you for them. My friend with a harness just puts one side on when he drives on the street, it ends up looking like a 3 point belt and he's never gotten stopped because of it.

Mario