HybridZ

RWD 4G63 setup

dosquattro

Yetter you last post is the same reason that DSMs get a bad rep., cheap easy to mod cars that get in the hands of the wrong people and they complain when it goes wrong because of the lack of maintenance.

I am impressed with your knowledge about rotaries, but you are completely wrong about DSMs and 3Ss, We had a local make over 500 DD awhp for a year on a stock bottom end on a 3S, it made 700+ before being sold, 3S are just bigger more expensive compared to DSMs and have the same problem.

It seems like you have had a bad experience with 6G72, but I can honestly say I don't think its the motors downfall there are plenty high mileage 3Ss to prove it and running a motor dry is never good.

If you are on a 3rd longblock, its safe to say something is up and it might not be the motor.

BOT: The only reason I am not doing a 4G swap is that I already have one in my talon and I have always wanted to build a v8 car and this is my chance.

Bang for buck these motors are hard to beat and if you know what you are doing you will have an amazing car, I say stroke the hell out of it, T-56, and bottle. Throw as much at this setup as you can as you are eliminating the weakpoint in DSMs, the drivetrain.

Good luck.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who made 500+ oscar or mike? Issue is the long blocks have turned cranks every one after about 12,000 miles goes pull pan 5-6 rod bearing toast again. Always fresh oil components. NEver re use anything in the oil system. Not me my friend the 6g is just a bad design. I am apart of mn 3s

The 4g63 is not worth the hassle in rwd form...Don't get me wrong i love the 4g63T in my mightmax but i know if I ever wanted 300whp or more the stock mightymax trans won't hold it and i don't want an Auto trans...There are engines that are just as good maybe better in some cases that have better trans to start with...your call..

Hyundai Genesis...4g63 in RWD glory. Not sure how much that tranny would cost since it is brand new, but...it is another option
Or, as has been said a few times in this thread, just get the 4G63-to-R154 adaptor. $400 for the bellhousing, etc. I think there are some other custom bellhousings made by the same guy for T56, W58, other. Last I checked, they were all for the narrow-block 4G63's found in the Eclipse, Talon, some Might Max all the way up to like '99.

The 4g63 is not worth the hassle in rwd form...Don't get me wrong i love the 4g63T in my mightmax but i know if I ever wanted 300whp or more the stock mightymax trans won't hold it and i don't want an Auto trans...There are engines that are just as good maybe better in some cases that have better trans to start with...your call..

To quote the 'king:

But that's more like, an opinion....

:mrgreen:

I've had a 10,000 rpm 450+ whp pump gas Evo. I wouldn't mind having that puppy in my Datsun...

imo the 4g63 break a lot unless they are the evo version. I have had too many friends build these, get them tuned and they blow up...or they get an oem rebuild and they break. jsut my 2cents I have never personally owned one although I would love a galant vr-4 there is just something about that dark green sexiness that catches my eye......

I built a 4g63 for a friend. Dodge d50 stroker crank with bruce crower rods, je pistons, ported the head, custom cams, garret gt35r, intercooled in AWD DSM with the best money could buy for trans, clutch etc. Ran 11.50's all day long at 136mph at alb. national dragway. Do the math that's about 600fwhp. Intercooler was holding it back as intake temps were climbing throughout the run and tuner couldn't do any more with it although it had more. The 4g63 is an awesome little motor and the bad rep is not deserved IMO, but the cause of morons owning them, modding them and not knowing how to tune it properly.

600HP out of a 4 banger is damned impressive. The toyota 2jz and the RB are truly amazing engines as well and can top the 1K hp mark. The nissan l6 is quite a durable beast and quite capable, just not going to win the hp war.

Big cubic inches always win and when they don't it's because the little motor is artificially breathing via blower, turbo or has power adder like NOS.

I had a working model of the rotary engine back in the 70's when I was a teenager. Marvelous piece of equipment although longetivity seemed to be less than the piston counter parts back in the day. Actually owned an rotary stationwagon back then. :lmao:

I am not gonna get too much into this, but the fact is if you know what you are doing the 4G63 is an awesome motor to get cheap power out of, my 165k motor that has lived the last 40k over 400whp at can say so and my friends 510hp Dyno dynamics daily in the summer stock bottom end will say so.

If you don't like it or think it crankwalks or whatever this motor isn't for you.

I used to work at Speedomotive and we supplied the dyno for the 2008 Castrol Syntec Top Shop Challenge and I watched AMS tune their 2.0 4G63 to 1035 horsepower at 41 psi on the stock block (still have the dyno sheet). Plus to top it all off they did it on VP Motorsport 100(MS100), 100 octane unleaded fuel.... Anyone who says the 4G63 isn't a good motor is completely clueless...

• 3 weeks later...
Yetter you last post is the same reason that DSMs get a bad rep., cheap easy to mod cars that get in the hands of the wrong people and they complain when it goes wrong because of the lack of maintenance.

I am impressed with your knowledge about rotaries,

+maintenance ii hear that now on ill run a spear motor for drop and run cas bears are iimpotant as belts "full repair kits"