HybridZ

RWD 4G63 setup

dosquattro

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While i dont have all the information, I know the 4g63 is a popular swap for the starion/conquest guys. The 4g64 motor bolts right up to their stock transmissions, and you can swap over all the guts and the head of the 4g63 into/onto the 4g64- making it an easy to do 4g63 rear wheel drive set up. There might be a little more to it, but thats the outline. Some good places to look would be KdmPerformance.com and Starquestclub.com

Yup, some straight up use a 4g, the older ones had a g54 like the starions though but that was still easy enough to swap to. Starions were the only interesting rwd car from mitsu i think. Cheap, huge 4 cylinder, turbo, intercooler, lsd, all the makings for a decent car. Too bad theyre so piggish.

• 10 months later...
^If you wanna make a name for yourself in the 4G world putting a 9 setup in a Z would be perfect.

Kind of like MAPs 4G in the RX7

I wanted to slap that dude in the head at the cookout over that car last year. His reason he knew nothing about rotaries such a shame a terrible terrible shame. He butchered that car.

Guest cancunphoto
I wanted to slap that dude in the head at the cookout over that car last year. His reason he knew nothing about rotaries such a shame a terrible terrible shame. He butchered that car.

Do you have pictures on this site of those cars. Who made them? Thanks for replying with some info, atleast now I have something to go on. My car has a gold square sticker with the number 11 on it as you can see in the pictures. It doesn't look like there was ever any stickers on the doors as there is no shadow or anything there that would be evident if something was there and then taken off. If you think of anything else I would like to hear from you. Thks Chris Hutchins

I did not talk to him much as i was pretty in raged that someone butchered a 10,000 shell for a 4g63 swap. The car is un godly fast but is not as well put together as you would think. At least it was not when i saw it. It had to be trailored in.

the 4g and 6g are plagued with so many crank bearing issues i would run like the dickens from either. This comes from a ten year vr4 owner.

I did not talk to him much as i was pretty in raged that someone butchered a 10,000 shell for a 4g63 swap. The car is un godly fast but is not as well put together as you would think. At least it was not when i saw it. It had to be trailored in.

the 4g and 6g are plagued with so many crank bearing issues i would run like the dickens from either. This comes from a ten year vr4 owner.

??? This is a swap forum. I am not sure how you can say they 'butchered' a chassis to put a hi-po turbo setup with good power/weight and reliability into an empty shell.

4G63 DSM engines had crankwalk issues due to poor maintenance combined with oil squirter design and sitting on the clutch all the time. I can't really say anything about 3S as it was not one of my specialties, but I know my main tech had one and never got very far with it. I don't know why they don't seem to take well to a basic rebuild.

Swap sight sure 3rd gen rx7's are more rare in my area than s30's. I can take a rotary up to 400hp in na trim with a 3 rotor and the sky is the limit with a 4 rotor build.

The 3s does not take well to rebuild because you are not supposed to turn those cranks and people try to do it. They also suffer oil starvation mainly due to a dent in the oil pan. The pickup sits 3/16ths from the bottom of pan. One dent bends the pickup and all hell breaks loose.

The 6g72 is a fine engine.........in sohc form. Go to the 3sx website they ran one without oil and anti freeze for over 45 minutes before it blew apart. The 3s platform is misleading because you can get into a 1st gen vr for around 4 grand but you better have triple that amount on stand buy for just regular issues not including mods.

My main beef with people that rip apart rx2-rx7 is they do it becasue they have no knowledge of the spinning triangles of death. Thats the wrong reason to rip a motor out to drop in a hybrid swap.

I have boosted many a carbed 12a in my time. Let alone the 4 rotor builds.

Here is one of my rough drafts of a turbo 12a 260+ hp in a 2,100lb car. Also my camden blower on the same ride.

P1000804.jpg

th_movie_01_01.jpg

Oh look the 3rd Mitsu Long Block for my now defunct 3s what a pos money pit.

P1010087.jpg

LoL.. it's very very easy to make a case for the 4g63 vs. a rotary engine. The 3s platform you are bent on shares basically nothing with the 4g63. The only prob with the 4g63 that comes to the top of my head is that Mitsubishi has not been able to build a tranny to hold the power it can make....of course that's not the motor's fault.

I've actually been looking for an FD to swap a 4g into as well....:wink:

Hopefully though, i'll get my hands on a 240/260 first so i don't have to worrry about smog.

LoL.. it's very very easy to make a case for the 4g63 vs. a rotary engine. The 3s platform you are bent on shares basically nothing with the 4g63. The only prob with the 4g63 that comes to the top of my head is that Mitsubishi has not been able to build a tranny to hold the power it can make....of course that's not the motor's fault.

I've actually been looking for an FD to swap a 4g into as well....:wink:

Hopefully though, i'll get my hands on a 240/260 first so i don't have to worrry about smog.

Fortunately, there are a couple adaptors for RWD setups. One converts to, I believe, a GM auto tranny (TH350?) and another, which I had, mated the Toyota Supra Turbo's R154 5spd. The same guy who made the R154 adaptor made one for the Toyota W58 and was working on the GM T56, last I checked in.

My main beef with people that rip apart rx2-rx7 is they do it becasue they have no knowledge of the spinning triangles of death. Thats the wrong reason to rip a motor out to drop in a hybrid swap.

I agree with you to an extent. But should everyone out there learn the in's and out's of the Datsun L6 before putting in a SBC? The L6 has seen 300na hp on a regular basis from race builds, and over 500hp regularly from turbo builds. These figures are much more than the average SBC in a Z, but does that make the swap less sensible?

People do the swap because it's cheap, easy HP. Somewhat reliable too since it uses displacement for power. And if it breaks, you can practically find parts at walmart.

My point is that people can do what every they want. The RX cars have decent chassis that are light, making it prone to swaps. Many of these people won't know a lick about rotary engines, so what. Rotary engines are great, but they're certainly NOT for everyone, just like any other engine.

This is true, and I respect that. But my big beef isn't with people who don't understand rotaries, rather it's with people who spread lies about rotaries. Like any other concept, there are plenty of misconceptions about them and there tends to be a trend in people who believe that rotaries just suck and that's simply not the case. If you don't understand the rotary and stuff something else in, that's fine. It's when people say that they are horrible, unreliable engines that are useless is when I become annoyed. If someone doesn't understand it, just leave it at that, it isn't necessary to justify that the rotary is a horrible engine when it just isn't true. There is a very good reason that rotaries have been banned from a number of racing circles, and the few people that have respect enough to understand the magic Doritos's of doom are usually the ones that end up getting them banned ;).

i agree 100 percent. Rotaries get a bad wrap cause they get flogged buy a 17 year old and then handed off and blow. Its a fact that 75 percent of rotary engines external oil pumps (mops) are shot. causing dry apex seals to go around till they fly out the exhaust. Thats why i always premix with idemitsu. Piston engines are piston engines they all work basically the same way. Rotaries are very simple and even simpley to re build if you can ge past the 40+ seals in them.