HybridZ

New seats for my Z! Pics!!!

OlderThanMe

Well I was at the local pull-a-part getting the front cover crank seal and pully(don't ask) and decided to look around to see if there were any seats that would be a good fit in my Z.

1990 Eclipse with near perfect seats...

The passenger seat had already been unbolted and the driver seat had 5 bolts holding it in...

$40 for the pair of seats...and $25 of mounting materials at home depot...lol

You can see the adapter plates on the passenger side.

b88272749.jpg

both seats mounted:

b88300822.jpg

Yes infact. I am just a little over 6' and it is about 2" closer to the roof. With the seats reclined a notch from full vertical it is much better.

What is cool is that they look like Z seats but more modern. Now when I go to the tail of the dragon in a couple days I won't be sliding all over the stock worn out seats.

(the aluminum dash is out to finishing the wiring)

Well I sit about 2" higher than I was sitting with my stock seats that the foam and springs were dead in. So probably only an inch higher than a decent stock Z seat.

I only need to get by ZdayZ and then I am going to cut out the floorpans to replace them and lower the seat mount by a good bit while I am there.

In the eclipse there were mounted to studs coming out of the floor so I will end up doing something like that probably. I'm still going to get a Kirkey road racing seat for when I go to trackdays and stuff but these will be fine for now and definitely an upgrade from stock.

oh! the strut mount!

I may be getting camber plates soon and you could have my old one(s) for shipping...

If not then I should be making another junkyard trip on the 21st or so and those would cost you just a little bit.

cool, keep me posted. If I make it out to the boneyard before then, I'll let you know.

On a related to the subject of this thread note, I tried to mount some factory Recaros from a Merkur XR4-Ti in my Z once, but they sat so high my hair would always be rubbing on the roof of the car...I really wasn't happy with it, so I got some factory seats out of a 78 Z parts car to use. My originals were white, but they were all mildew-ey and ripped up, so that the hay was coming out...I've been thinking of what to do about seats, I'm leaning towards the Corbeau retro seat that looks like the stock Z seat, but with a seperate headrest and side bolsters.

Was that all the adapting you had to do? Two flat bars? That's a great find.

I will intent on re-furb'ing my old seats, but maybe I won't. Thanks for sharing. Could you add to the " Seats " thread?

Yes that is all the fabbing I had to do.

Two 18" strips of 1" wide by 3/16" thick bar per seat and drill the holes where you want them. The sliders from the Z and the eclipse are the exact same width apart. The eclipse sliders are just 4" longer.

Looks great. I have been very happy with my Eclipse seats in my 240. I also have a set of Talon sports seats that I used originally (For sale if anybody is interesteed!). I just like the color of the Eclipse seats better in my car. The Talon seat has adjustable pads on the fixed headrest which is kinda' cool in addition to the manual lumbar adjustment

Mike: Thanks! I was going to get the Z32 seats but they were already gone from the JY.

Unfortunately I am having engine trouble (don't forget to lube a new oil pump, busted cam and possibly other junk...) so I may not be able do drive it to ZdayZ this weekend. I'm going to try to install my MN47 tomorrow if my pistons aren't toast.