HybridZ

SR20DET Mount pictures

I'm getting ready to get started on my SR20DET swap into my 260Z. I've seen a lot of pics from vildini and I'm going to pretty much copy their cradle design. I've got an old man at the auto hobby shop on Miramar who is very friendly and very knowledgable in the welding and fabrication department. His first question for me was "why don't you just do a V8 swap, that's what everyone does in those?". I laughed and told him "well now hold on a minute... I'm still going to make a decent amount of power and it's going to weigh a whole lot less." So the guy told me to bring in some pictures and we'll see what we can do.

I've seen these but am looking for some more if anybody has them. If I've got an old man willing to help me out, and all I need to do is bring in square metal and pay 5 bucks a day for a flat spot.... I would much rather do it there and learn a whole lot. not to mention save a ton of money.

Post some pics of your mounts.

I'll be sure to document every step along the way and post pics.

4.JPG

8.JPG

Found these pictures of the Vildini 'cradle' install.

http://www.vildinimotorsport.com/gallery/Justin%20-%20SR240z/7.jpg

http://www.vildinimotorsport.com/gallery/Justin%20-%20SR240z/8.JPG

Compared to the install with the stock mount locations, it looks like that Vildini is using the SR20 mount points.

Any idea how much the weight distribution is shifted to the rear with a SR swap? The engine sits almost completely behind the strut towers, which could qualify it as mid-engined, eg 350Z "front mid".

Good luck with the project! At least you have one :2thumbs:

i'll post up some pics of mine once i get the shortblock back out. [soon]

but it looks pretty much the same as the vildini ones.

one thing to note is that you should orient the block so the bottom of the lower oil pan is level. thats how it is stock. the engine will be tilted over towards the drivers side like an rb26.

This is a pic I found using stock Z mounts...

In that picture - it has some red engine mounts - I assume those are urathane? Any info on the mounts themselves? I've been trying to find an alternative,(stiffer), to the stock Nissan mounts.

-Bob

In that picture - it has some red engine mounts - I assume those are urathane? Any info on the mounts themselves? I've been trying to find an alternative,(stiffer), to the stock Nissan mounts.

-Bob

I don't know. I guess you could go search on classicZcars.com and find out who's pic it is.

Obviously the car is RHD so I am guessing it is in Japan.

This is copied from a thread I started in brake/chassis section:

This is a great alternative to the crossmember style engine mount and modifying the stock SR mount. Simpler, less material, and can use the SR mounts with a higher durometer.

Man this exciting.. I've had the car for over 2 years now and the engine is finally in.

240z_023.jpg

240z_025.jpg

240z_030.jpg

240z_033.jpg

240z_038.jpg

WORRD.

• 2 weeks later...

i like the tranny mount, looks the beef!

but you may want to use high grade bolts in there, because taking them out if they strip could prove next to impossible.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the engine mounts look f'in badass too, and very well put together.

now my MIG welder makes me feel like poo

I'm running DIY coilovers, 225lb front, 250lbs rear springs with tokico illuminas.

camber plates, adjustable tc-rods, and front arms... urethane... upgraded swaybar in the front. pretty standard upgrade stuff.

i dont think it makes much of a difference if its a sr20 Z or not... but what do i know..

I'll have to fine tune it after i get it running, so my setup will change.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...