HybridZ

preparation for ls2 swap into 300zx

Okay, i am tired of waiting for my sponsor to finally decide what direction they want to go with my Z. It is going to be one of three possible options; RB, V8, or stick with the VG. If i go V8 i am going to use an LS2. Comes stock with 400 hp, but that is not at the wheels. I am shooting for around 500 at the wheels. I talked to the shop that i will be having the swap done at today, and everything seems to be pretty clear. But just wondering, i saw a post the other day about frame strengthening, and a good bit of people said that even with around 500 hp at the wheels it isn't needed. But David, the owner of Macon-Moore-Performance said that the first thing he will be doing after they get the car and get everything out of it will be sending it to a chasis shop to get the frame strenthed, toughen up the welds, etc. cause with 500 hp it will bend it like there is no tomorrow in "that little car." So, i am wondering, is he just underestimating the strength of the Z or will i really bend it and be screwed up to hell and back? He has no affiliation with the chasis shop, so i know he isn't just trying to milk me or anything. but yeah, this is the general idea that i would like to kick into motion at the beginning of next month....if my sponsors will make up there minds......:

Take the car up to Macon-Moore-Performance

order an LS2 crate engine from Jegs,

Order heads/cam/intake package, around

150-200 shot of Nitrous, full setup, etc.

if everything goes well the turnaround time will be around a month to a month and a half. Does anyone have any suggestions or things i might want to add to this setup? I am sure that i will be able to hit over my 500 hp mark.

Thanks for all of your help.

-Typhoone

i'm right in the middle of doing a small block swap to my z31. the biggest thing off the top of my head is the steering box, I'm not sure the exact dimensions of the LS2, but I'm forced to run block hugger headers because of the steering box/shaft.

also, axle stubs. Be prepared to shear them off like no tomorrow if your going to do hard launching, even with cryo treating. Someone on z31performance.com had a set custom made, and he's now breaking the half shafts apart.

beefing up the clutching in the LSD is another thing on my list. I'm doing what the guys who took part in phyxius' group buy did and replacing the spacers for clutch discs. Hopefully i'll have enough left over from my material, so I can sell a few off.

Why are you getting sponshors? And if you got some, I would like some lol....seriously.

Lol, i want them cause i am 20 years old, in college, making $6.00 an hour....i make money on the side because of computers and all....but this stuff is EXPENSIVE. Also, i have a pretty creative imagination and there is an awesome custom shop in my town that does paint jobs that are second to none, and i already have a really cool idea for a paint job that will go great with the companies logo.

It is actually pretty cool, i work in a video store, and i have met so many different types of people. I know one guy, he went to college for 13 years, and makes $575,000 per year. i have met buisness owners, self made men, and people with old money. Well, one of the guys that i have met has become a pretty good friend. He owns a web design company that has been kicked into overdrive and in the past quater alone he has made more than he did all of last year. It is him and his business partner that are going to sponsor me. I sent them a basic rundown or what i want was possible. One of the main things they wanted was an extra wow factor, something to help get extra points at shows. I told them there are a couple of ways to get WOW points, and they were mainly engine swaps, and custom paint jobs. Now, as soon as they decide which route they would like to go, i can actually hammer out the final details. If i go LS it will be done by macon-moore-performance, if i go RB it will be done by top hat performance, and if they decide to just stick with the VG i will just build it to hell and back.