HybridZ

After doing some reading.. I blocked off the upper grill *pics*

Well now that I tossed all night trying to think why my fab went so easy I realized all I did was basically cut my radiator size in half by taking my bottom piece straight across.

Obviously, I need to go in about 4" then angle down about 45 degrees to the bottom of my radiator so I utilize the entire radiator for cooling.

That is why it is always good to do a mock up with junk laying around the shop before using the good stuff.

Tom

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it will, both in terms of cooling and in aero. Your description is pretty hard to understand (I wish you'd spent a little more effort in explaining it clearly), but from what I gather you're talking about exposing the entire radiator surface within your airbox, vs. enclosing only part of it in the airbox and letting the other part hang out.

Cooling would probably be sufficient only partly enclosed, so long as the airbox was engineered well. Unfortunately it is beyond most of our time and talent to engineer an airbox that will give smooth, laminar flows and eliminate pockets of dead air. If it were me, I'd do it right and enclose most of the radiator.

As far as the opening size goes, our intake grilles are huge, so don't worry about that until you're getting down below a square foot.

Aero will also be affected, unless you are also adding a subframe tray under the car. The outside surface of the bottom of the airbox affects the air behind your front valence or airdam, so changing that angle and height will change the aero impact on the nose. To what degree, I do not know, as I haven't seen any aero data on that and I'm not smart enough to have a reasonable guess.

I spent awhile trying to find a way to word it. Even your description was hard to understand.

A way to think of it is a 3x.5 ft opening exposing the same area of the radiator compared to 3x.5 ft opening that opens to the entire radiator.

At the bottom is a picture of what I have planned.

I totally understand what your saying. The same frontal opening, with the back of the duct, say for example, covering the entire radiator OR half of it.

If you don't build the duct to cover the entire frontal area you are losing out on cooling capacity. You will only be cooling half the rad, and its harder to force the same amount of air through half the fins.

Evan

BTW, did anybody read this thing about ducting in Maximum boost? Basically said as long as frontal area is 25% or more then the back of the duct you are still gaining efficiency due to the air not bouncing off the front and going around the sides.

Anyone have an easy way of removing the tortion bars with the hood on? Im guessing it has to be when the hoods down.

EDIT- I ended up tieing them together and cutting one. Once I had that out I muscled out the other one. I never realized how heavy my hood is.

Yeah the hood is pretty heavy (about 45 lbs or so). Now that you have removed those torsion springs here is something you can use to replace them and still achieve your goals. http://store.zraceproducts.com/mountinghardwareparts.php#gasshock

Dragonfly

I dont know $150 alot, I can deal with it.

Well today I cut out the upper piece that stretches from the top of the grill to above the radiator (like ZR8ED's). Fits good but I dont know how to mount it, any ideas?

I should have mentioned it in the post above but if you mention my name (Dragonfly or Miles) he will give you at least 10% off the listed price (that goes for anyone). With that kit you get the templates as well as all the hardware and the correct tension pressure catridges and of course full step by step instructions.

I'm going to have to go back and look at ZR8ED's pics again to see exactly what you have done, then I will probably toss my 2 cents out there for you.

Dragonfly

If you take a closer look at ZR8ED's pictures you will notice that to the sides of the radiator he has pieces of metal (ends of the box) he is using them as his attachment points. I had the same thing on my old setup, the two pieces that make up the sides of the box have a 1/2" lip bent at 90*, then the lips have holes drilled in them and the are bolted at the bottom and the top of the box. The piece that you have made and are talking about (from what I can tell by what you wrote) is the top of the box it just extends past the sides thats all.

Here is a picture of the cardboard mock up I had for mine at one time.

T1010088.jpg

This is what I ended up going with for the time being.

S1010002.jpg

S1010005.jpg

Dragonfly

Mine took forever to make the templates. Went through a dozen posterboards.

Welcome to my world, its hard to see in the pic but I used tons of tape and who knows how many slivers of cardboard to make my templates. Even doing it like that I still had to tweak and adjust the metal ones to get them predominantly how I wanted them.

Dragonfly