HybridZ

Major Search Engine Improvements...

JMortensen

As anyone who has been around here for any length of time knows, we're sticklers for searching before you ask a question. The problem was always that the search engine provided with the vBulletin forum software was not the best.

Well, as a side benefit of doing the Google ads for non-donating visitors to the site, we now have a Google search engine integrated into our site. When you click on the Search tab in the blue menu at the top of the screen, you will now see the OLD search box and below it the NEW search box.

The new box searches using Google. It can search just the HybridZ forum, just the classifieds, just the photo albums, or the whole internet. Search results come up in a window that looks much like your standard results screen over at http://www.google.com, and our preliminary testing shows that this new setup is a major (MAJOR) improvement over what we had before.

So everyone should be sure to thank Dan for getting those Google ads on the site and for the search engine upgrade that came along with it... :wink:

Has anyone ever done a L28et swap into a S30? If so could I get pictures and how much it would cost??

I guess no more of those questions.

Works good!!

Anyway to get past when searching for 2+2 it deleting the + and just searching for 22?

Anyway to get past when searching for 2+2 it deleting the + and just searching for 22?

Here is how:

go to search, choose the google search option. Search for 2*2

When you get your large and useless result, scroll to the bottom of the page and choose the option "Search within Results".

Now search for this exactly: "2+2"

(using the quotation marks means you want that exact phrase, essentially)

Apprently, Googles weighted search parameters don't allow for that specific and confusing numeric string in the initial search, but will "believe" you really want it after refining your search.

hope that helped = )

also what would help is if the titles of threads were more relevant. Not something like "Look at my new engine" ir could be something like "just finished my ______ swap". THat way when people do search they get more relevant searches.

Jim.... ya, I assumed that the quotes would work on the initial search string as well. That irked me enough to figure out what WOULD work. = )

I agree thread titles should be better thought through, or thought through at all, lol.... but the main reason for that being such an issue (IMO only) is that forums usually have such crappy search engines. When you google a forum... it is not such a big issue, as long as you know the mechanics of a good search query, and have an appropriate name or term that wont be mangled too badly in common usage. Really, in a forum as big as this... there are going to be searches using only thread titles that will waste enough time to justify googling for specific terms rather than topics.

This is awesome! I made one before FireFox 2.0, and then they changed the whole search engine thing. I've been lazy since. I just do a Google search and add HybridZ. Now I can be even lazier. Sweet.

• Administrators

Very nice. I always just dealt with the old Hybrid search engine nuances, but this embedded Google search feature being just a click away while here in Hybrid is great. Works like a charm…

Thank you. headphones.gif

also what would help is if the titles of threads were more relevant. Not something like "Look at my new engine" ir could be something like "just finished my ______ swap". THat way when people do search they get more relevant searches.

We made it a major point a while back and even modified (still do) a number of thread titles. I believe it is still one of the points somewhere at the beginning---maybe in a sticky. Bottom line is: you're correct!!

It'll make a huge difference to the site if those of us who 1) know and 2) actually care abide by those rules! :D

Good point.

Davy