HybridZ

Racing harness setup

wheelman

I'm posting some pictures of how I installed my G-Force 5-point harness. There was interest expressed in another thread and rather than hide the photos there we decided it would be better to start a new thread.

Purchased the harness from saferacer.com along with 4 1/2" eyebolts and 4 quick release hooks. I ordered the longer 50mm bolts but the 20mm would have worked.

The eyebolts replaced the original bolts that held the stock seat belt mechanisms in place, that way I can unhook the harness lap belts and throw the shoulder belts behind the seat if I want to use the stock belts.

I don't have a roll bar so I fabbed a harness bar and bolted it to the strut towers.

Here are the pictures.

clipon1.jpg

clipon2.jpg

harnessbar1.jpg

harnessbar2.jpg

driverseat.jpg

passseat.jpg

When these photos were shot I hadn't installed the crotch strap yet and I'm not sure I will.

Wheelman

Hey, Thanks for the pics, Thats really clean the way the eyebolts hold the factory belts and the harness. I like your harness bar as well. Do you or anybody else know if the shoulder belts could hook to a really solid strut bar?, or is it simply too high. Does anybody know what the correct angle for the shoulder belts should be.

Thanks again for the help, I think I now have some work to do

Jeff

the sholder straps should be at a slightly raised angle from the top of the seat. that way in the event of the crash, ths straps will not tighten up in a fashion to compress the spine. i know there was a thread about it.

search and yee shall find this

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=116804&highlight=seat+harness+install

the submarine straps i think should be used. it keeps the seat belt in the correct location and if installed and adjusted properly, will not crush the nads.

jimbo

Monzter,

If the strut bar is really solid there should be no reason you couldn't use it, in fact the up angle would be better. As far as I know there are no commercial strut bars that would be strong enough though. You could fab one for yourself for about $25.00 max worth of materials.

Jim73240Z,

Yeah I know I need to install the "submarine" straps, I just haven't figured out how I want to attach them yet. I'm thinking I can attach them to the same crossmember the front of the seats bolt to but then I have to remove the seats. I've just been lazy about it.

The instructions that came with the harnesses stated that a down angle no greater than 20 degrees from the seat back to the harness bar was acceptable.

I just read the thread posted above and found some contradictory information from the instructions that were in my box. I set my bar up according to those instructions but the angle is only about 10 degrees down so I'm going to leave it where it is.

Wheelman

Nice work wheelman.

Monzter,

If the strut bar is really solid there should be no reason you couldn't use it, in fact the up angle would be better. As far as I know there are no commercial strut bars that would be strong enough though. You could fab one for yourself for about $25.00 max worth of materials.

Would a PDK strut bar be sufficient?

RSTRUTBAR1.JPG

BayAreaZT,

You should contact PDK with that question. The brackets look pretty beefy but without looking at them closer and the bolts connecting the bar it's impossible to say. Personally I'd shy way from using the strut bar as a harness bar unless it was a single welded piece, but thats just me.

Bart,

Yes my stock belts have retractors and I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work with non-restactors belts.

Wheelman

So I found this link http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=73222&highlight=simpson+belts

It has answered many of my questions.

I have a friend at Simpson and I am looking at this set up. Any comments. I will only be using this for Autocross, I will retain the stock belts for commuting.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat_id=189&prod_id=7103

Belt in / pull down / polyester webbing

Thanks Jeff