HybridZ

Autometer instrument questions

2savage

I'm rewiring and replacing with autometer 2 5/8" and 5" instruments. The instruments came today from JEGS but they (both sizes) slip through the holes in the dash. I had read that they were a perfect fit on this forum somewhere. So, what's the trick?

I have thought of placing tape around the rim of the speedo and tach, which are almost snug, then making a trim ring for the others which are about 3/16 too small. What does everyone else do?

I think that is the size I have and they needed a little spacing to make them work. I used foam tape (like used for camper shells) and then black siliconne on the back. It is much easier with the dash out of the car though.

you have to take the factory gauges apart, use the black plastic bezel peice and install the autometer gauge inside it. Then worry about putting it in your dash. As for the 5" ones.. guys just silicone them in.

That's what I did for the smaller gauges. It works well. For the 5" ones you can also use velcro.

I went with Phantom. The speedo and tach are in. Did them last night with black silicone; a good tip is to use an inspection light from behind to look for places where the silicone needs filling.

As for the other three, I bought the autometer angle trim rings, which should arrive today. I'll post again with details of how things worked out.

Well, the gauges are in and I'll post pics soon, but in the meanwhile, heres how the rest went...

The autometer angle rings were excellent and I recommend them over using the stock bezel rings. You don't need to cut them and they make the end job look VERY professional. After doing a trial fit and checking the angles, I ascertained that the rings need to be fixed with their inner edge flush with the dash material, which leaves them sufficiently protruding so the instruments can be read but will be secure. Next I mixed up some two part epoxy and applied a bead about 1/8" wide right on the back part of the ring on the outside, then inserted them into the holes from the rear. Any epoxy that made it onto the ring that could be seen from the front was cleaned off with acetone.

Once the epoxy was dry I cut about 3/4" off just one leg of the supplied aluminum retainer brackets and put these on the back securing them with the aluminum machined thum screws. Job done. The rest of my dash customization includes adding more gauges where the heater controls used to be, adding a custom switch panel with ignition switch and starter button plus some other controls for wipers, heater etc.

Seems like we're working contemporaneously. I installed fuel and Volt today. It's a temp installation as the whole dash is due for explant next week for cover graft and wiring modification, heater core, and De-griming of the no-man's land under the dash.

Hard to imagine my grin when my new Phantom Gas gauge went all the way to Full today. This car hasn't had a gas gauge read full since 1974.

I'm impressed with the engineering in the old gauges. Sure they failed, but I've exceeded my design capacity and had a few failures over the years, too.

• 3 weeks later...
Pregunta... why jegs v. summit? Cheaper w/o handling charge?

Jegs is cheaper and shipping is free, they ship fast as well.

Don't know if you've checked out egauges.com? I've found them about the cheapest so far.

A random comparo for a 5" speedo shows JEGS $214.99, egauges $203.90

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type=Speedometer&Series=Ultra_Lite&PN=ATM-4489-M

They seem to have a broader range in Autometer, too and I like the masses of tech back-up material. Haven't compared all prices though, but I guess shipping is probably similar and if you order a few items, the savings start to add up.

Just my $0.02