HybridZ

Need some help with gauge selection

Mycarispurty

Ok I'm getting 5" Autometer Ultra Lites for the tach and speedo, and 2 5/8ths for the mechanical oil pressure and water temperature. However, what I need help with is a decision on what other 2 5/8ths gauge to get to put in the upper pod. Also, instead of having a radio, I'm going to just have a single plate there and put a few more gauges that aren't quite as necessary as the oil pressure and water temperature. I'm thinking fuel level, boost/vacuum, and the clock. However, in order to save a few bucks I'm thinking of going with 2 1/16ths down there to optimize the amount of room, as well as the money savings. So, I need some opinions here as to what to do, as I'll probably be ordering the gauges here in a couple of days. I want to run as many mechanical ones as I can to really cut down on the amount of wiring I have to run behind the dash.

Ok for now (until I figure out if I want to get the programmable fuel gauge or rig up a circuit or whatever) I'm going to hold off on the fuel gauge. Getting the tachometer and speedometer, then for the center of the dash I'm getting mechanical oil pressure and water temperature, and a volt meter. I'll leave the radio area for fuel, boost/vacuum, clock (if I decide to get one), and anything else I'd need. But still don't know if 2 5/8ths or 2 1/16ths for the radio area, so I'll still accept ideas there ;)

Have you fitted the gauges yet? Any pics??

I am about to fit a Tremec T56 'box to my 260 and will use 5" Autometer Ultra-Lite tach and electronic speedo. I was intending 2,5/8" for all minor guages, 3 across the top and two underneath in place of the air vents. I don't have air-con, so the vents are of no real use.

BTW, what is the output from the stock fuel level sender unit? There are several Autometer options (0-30ohms, 0-90ohms, 16-158ohms, 240-33ohms, etc, etc). Anyone know the appropriate range?

Thanks in advance

Have a pressure gauge already, but good advice all the same.

Re the sender unit, I don't know what the stock one is, but I have since discovered that the 0-90ohm unit is the one I need. The fuel cell has a non-stock sender as it happens and it is probabaly the reason the stock fuel gauge has never worked properly! (Although plenty of other owners have that trouble)

Cheers.

It sheds some useful light. Haven't attempted to measure output of my sender yet. The obvious solution for anyone fitting an Autometer gauge would be to simply buy the Autometer sender to suit. There is a full range available.

Cheers,

If you are keeping any stock senders, there is data on zcar.com and here under electrical. I just switched to Autometer Phantom 2 5/8 elec Fuel, Temp, Volt. The electric water temp was a Huge PITA. I might have gone with mechanical in retrospect, but I'm not fond of cap tubing in the cabin. If you need specifics, let me know.