HybridZ

Cheap dash repair alternative

rigez

Not sure if anyone has seen this posting at www.classiczcars.com. A cheaper alternative to sending out your dash for professional repair. From the pics it looks just as good or like a professional restoration.

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919&highlight=dash+repair

I'm going to try it out on a dash I have sitting in my garage that needs repair.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone post a more direct link to this info? I followed the link and registered the the day this was posted, no worky! Several days later, link still no worky!!!

This one works for me. I did have to re log in first though... I had been logged off for some time.

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919&highlight=dash+repair

I rarely go to that site because the logging in ♥♥♥♥ is such a hassle. It seems I always have to go to lost password link, get a new temp password, reset password, log in again, and end up getting not much out of the site visit anyway. I'm not sure if it's my security settings or thier's.

I tried to go the the links and still I get an error This is the error message that I get.

"

chrism, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

This forum sucks. Who would want to be a member not knowing what pages can be view and what pages can not be view. It teases you and then it aggravates you.

Can you cut and paste the picutes into this thread. If you need to, just use Microsoft paint to capture the images.

I tried to go the the links and still I get an error This is the error message that I get.

"

chrism, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

This forum sucks. Who would want to be a member not knowing what pages can be view and what pages can not be view. It teases you and then it aggravates you.

Can you cut and paste the picutes into this thread. If you need to, just use Microsoft paint to capture the images.

This is the same error I keep getting................arrrrrghhhhhhh!!

I registered a couple of days ago but never received the 'Registration' link by e-mail as was promised. With great difficulty I managed to get a message off to the Admins to point this out (after initially receiving the usual "you are not authorised..." message) - no reply. Aaaaaaargh!!!

I just hope they lurk on this Forum too, get the message and do something about it. I am at least now able to open some of the pics in the galleries, but can't post, etc.

Thankfully no such trouble when I joined HybridZ. :)

Lets see if this works here is the text and pics:

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

The dashboard in my car had some serious cracks along the top but I couldn't pull the trigger to send it off for rework because of the cost. I wanted to try to repair it somehow though, I had to try something!

Here's a few pictures of the cracks.

DSC00372_thumb.jpg

DSC00374_thumb.jpg

I beveled the edges of the cracks on both sides, this would enable the filling materials to get underneath the crack and have something to hold on to. I backed the cracks with simple masking tape and filled the cracks with Great Stuff, insulating foam sealant, available at Ace Hardware of course.

Here's a picture of the cracks after I sliced down the foam and the materials I used. I was concerned with all the voids in the foam. I had expected something solid but realized all those open holes would provide an excellent base for the SEM plasticized bumper repair which was applied next. I had to apply two coats of the bumper repair plastic. It was easy to work with and feather edged nicely.

DSC00375_thumb.JPG

DSC00395_thumb.JPG

DSC00397_thumb.JPG

DSC00399_thumb.JPG

DSC00405_thumb.JPG

I have left out the other comments and just copied the text and posting that apply enjoy: :ass::mrgreen:

"After the repair areas were finish sanded, I scuff sanded the rest of the dash with 220 grit paper and cleaned the surface with SEM plastic/leather prep.

After that, I sprayed the complete dash with SEM's texture coating. I followed the directions on the can. I kept the spray nozzle approximately 20 inches from the surface and when the coating was finger dry, I knocked down the texture with scotch-brite.

I let the dash dry for 24 hours and then lightly scuffed the complete surface. I cleaned again with the plastic/leather prep and then applied two wet coats of SEM's Trim Black for my finish coat.

Here's some pictures of the finished product, it isn't perfect but it exceeded my expectations. I don't think I would have attempted this repair if the dash was in the car. Total cost was approximately $60 and maybe five hours of labor total."

DSC00414_thumb.JPG

DSC00416_thumb.JPG

DSC00417_thumb.JPG

DSC00420_thumb.JPG

Here's some pictures of the finished product, it isn't perfect but it exceeded my expectations. I don't think I would have attempted this repair if the dash was in the car. Total cost was approximately $60 and maybe five hours of labor total."

I think this guy is too humble from the pics it looks awesome!

Should this thread be sent to our trusty FAQ section (like a sticky)??

I think so. Even if it hasn't been tested through time and heat, I think this

still makes for a good start for having our dashes reasonably good looking!

Just my 02 cents...