HybridZ

Sign in if you own an s130!

007max

• 1 month later...

I've had my '83 for almost a year now, just getting started on some upgrades and modifications.

I got this car from my father-in-law who bought it new in '83 and parked it in '90. It has 80k on it and practically no rust, which is rare in Michigan. The interior is perfect and the price was to good to pass up.

I'm pretty new to the Z car world, so starting to collect parts and learn what to look for and how to do things on these has been fun! I've got coilovers to go on, all new bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, and fresh brakes to put on here over the next couple weekends. Long term plans include swapping in a LS1 I have matted to a T-56 and a 8.8 Ford IRS set up, but those are long term plans. Looking forward to doing some auto cross and just driving it until I need more power.

post-40439-0-53989800-1377697972_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1983 280zx GL, 5-speed. Bought October 2013, working on getting her running right on an 18 year old's budget.

Mods: All were here when I bought it.

L28ET swapped

Adjustable rear shocks

Eibach Lowering Springs in the front (I really don't like the look much, it's like a fox body mustang drag car, plus it messes with the handling)

Fat one-wire alternator (Looking at replacing with a standard, I heard the Dodge Monaco alt fits with some persuasion.)

Right now the goal is to set her right and drive some to figure out what I want out of the car, then I can start tearing into things.

post-41569-0-34236900-1393709265_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HGS130004382

RHD 79 Fairlady Z

2+2 5speed

Volk 14x7.5 mesh and old cracked Advans that still hold air

Stripped interior, sans rear bumper

Purchased from a coworker long ago. He lived near the local airforce base so I'm assuming an airmen had it brought over from Japan.

Currently struggling in vain with the 390 4 barrel conversion from MSA. I've owned her since roughly 2006 and she has been operable for than less a year of that. I have nearly zero automotive knowledge so it has been a long frustrating time living the Z car life. Anyone who I know that can help me knows little to nothing about EFI, especially the ancient form from 1979. I have never asked for help in forums because folks seem to jump down a newbies throat about "searching the archives" but with concerns to trouble shooting crusty old efi components or installing a new 4 barrel set-up, those search queries offer little assistance. At least she's finally in a garage I share with my friends instead of out in the elements.

My Lady will never be up for sale, so I will be on this confusing and hopeless path until I actually learn something.

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/livefast_2k4/media/IMG_13441_zps17e4d9c6.jpg.html?filters[user]=140026438&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

Edited by slithering88

I own a 1980 Datsun 280ZX (10th Anniversary Edition - Black+Red) Plaque #751 of 3000. I had purchased this car back in 2007, drove it for 6 months then put it away to prepare for some engine bay surgery. Looking to finish up this summer!

Car has 99k on the dashboard!

Follow my progress on my Youtube Channel. you can find me under my name. Jerry Batista.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1982 280zx N/A Coupe purchased about a month ago from a coworker who was

the main bodyman/mechanic at my work for $700.\It currently has 300k + miles

but runs strong! has a tiny bit of rust here and there but not bad at all. Also came

with another l28, tranny, rear end w/ 138k miles plus a ton of other parts. i was driving

an 01 audi a6 2.7t before this. Loving this car so far though and can't wait to start

building her up!

post-44592-0-89617200-1401219296_thumb.jpg

post-44592-0-55418800-1401219305_thumb.jpg

I just purchased another 280ZX.  I rescued a 1983 280ZXT 5spd 2 seater with 97K, that had been sitting in a barn since 2004. It was posted on craigslist for a song and a dance, so I called the guy, he told me it was sold and someone was coming to pick it up the next day and that he would call me if it fell through.  In the grand tradition of craigslist deals, the guy flaked and never showed or called.  His loss, my gain.

I am working on getting her running right.  I am pretty sure she needs a fuel pump and an oil pressure sending unit as it reads 0 psi, but the light is off and the lifters are SILENT ( I can hear the injectors clicking over the engine running), which would not happen if it indeed had ZERO oil pressure.  The rust situation is minimal.  one or 2 soft spots in the floor and surface rust on the wheel arches as well as a couple spots on the hood.  Solid rockets and frame rails though! I'll probably make it daily drivable and pass it on to a deserving home, as I have too many projects as is right now and I already have a 280ZX that is "my baby".  

I just purchased another 280ZX.  I rescued a 1983 280ZXT 5spd 2 seater with 97K, that had been sitting in a barn since 2004. It was posted on craigslist for a song and a dance, so I called the guy, he told me it was sold and someone was coming to pick it up the next day and that he would call me if it fell through.  In the grand tradition of craigslist deals, the guy flaked and never showed or called.  His loss, my gain.

I am working on getting her running right.  I am pretty sure she needs a fuel pump and an oil pressure sending unit as it reads 0 psi, but the light is off and the lifters are SILENT ( I can hear the injectors clicking over the engine running), which would not happen if it indeed had ZERO oil pressure.  The rust situation is minimal.  one or 2 soft spots in the floor and surface rust on the wheel arches as well as a couple spots on the hood.  Solid rockets and frame rails though! I'll probably make it daily drivable and pass it on to a deserving home, as I have too many projects as is right now and I already have a 280ZX that is "my baby".  

Dang, didn't see that one.  Hit me up, I think I have a spare oil pressure sender.