HybridZ

2 Step or no??

ZDrifter

Well Im going to be getting my standalone here soon and along with tuning I was thinking about programming a 2-step rev limiter in. Now it is cool to see flames and here the backfire coming out of the exhaust but I would use it for launch control. It has its pros and cons but I just want to know what you guys think... It is better to have spark cut rather then fuel cut so Im planning on using that for top end rev limit aswell.

Also the way to engage the 2 step is a clutch switch right? Or is there any other sensors that the ECU could look at?

So what do you think 2 step or no??

I cannot speak for other EMS's (however I can assume) but the AEM you can program it to go off of any input switch, or you can do it really easily by enabling it going off of the VSS readings.

Mine is setup currently so that the 2-step is only engaged when the vehicle is traveling less than 4mph. Anything over that, and the 2-step wont work.

Alternatively, if you want to use the anti-lag/no-lift-shift feature as well, you're going to have to configure the EMS to use the clutch switch (which on most cars is a pull to ground type setup) to input ground into the AEM. You would then set the 2-step to be triggered off the clutch switch, not the VSS.

Andy, I PM'd you for a favor on your site> http://rbz32.com/forums/index.php?sid=d8e34b1c02a30e02ed5040e5e355f897

I cannot speak for other EMS's (however I can assume) but the AEM you can program it to go off of any input switch, or you can do it really easily by enabling it going off of the VSS readings.

Mine is setup currently so that the 2-step is only engaged when the vehicle is traveling less than 4mph. Anything over that, and the 2-step wont work.

Alternatively, if you want to use the anti-lag/no-lift-shift feature as well, you're going to have to configure the EMS to use the clutch switch (which on most cars is a pull to ground type setup) to input ground into the AEM. You would then set the 2-step to be triggered off the clutch switch, not the VSS.

I should probably specify my ECU...I just recieved a wolf v500. In the specs it does say you have a choice between a fuel cut limiter or spark cut...Im sure I can figure out a way to program it in. By the way I watched your videos Booztd and Im very impressed. I cant wait to get a tune on mine and get it to the track. Im very new to tuning so Im ready to learn anything and everything.

I should probably specify my ECU...I just recieved a wolf v500. In the specs it does say you have a choice between a fuel cut limiter or spark cut...Im sure I can figure out a way to program it in. By the way I watched your videos Booztd and Im very impressed. I cant wait to get a tune on mine and get it to the track. Im very new to tuning so Im ready to learn anything and everything.

Thanks for the compliments, and J-, i responded to you :)

Regarding the 2-step, I'd review the documentation for the wolf system and read how each of the different types of 2-steps work, and decide which one is best for you. I believe mine is setup with an ignition cut and then a fuel cut, because it allows the unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust manifold, and then it gets ignited.........causing explosions definitely gets that turbo spooled :)

Tuning is fun, just be careful with it. I started doing all the tuning on my Z when I was 20 and was using a piggy back. Moving forward 3 years I've now graduated to the standalone stuff and look forward to dealing with other EMS's as well

If the fuel cut drops the injectors I would go that route because if you just cut spark then you're washing your cylinders and could end up fouling your plugs inadvertently. If the fuel cut is just killing the pump, don't use it. I've seen systems that cut fuel both ways, but the most common is injector cut off.

Actually cutting spark is safer. Fuel cools down the cylinder. Also there is not enough fuel entering the cylinder to "wash" them. Yes you can foul plugs if you do it enough like these kids that get the BEE*R systems cuz they like backfiring to scare there girlfriends and sit there for 2 min doing it. Unlike other wannabe tuners aka I have a civic with a b16dt45ric with direct port 145 1/4 shot of NOS and my BEE*R rev limiter that I use to back people off my a**. I will use it for launch control at the track. I just think its funny when these people get them and sit there to show there friends how cool it sounds because they can set off car alarms and after 3 to 4 times they find out how really cool it isnt to sit there and show off for 5 min doing it.

The wolf system does not have a specific 2 step programmed into it but Im sure there is a way to use load sensors as inputs for a rev limiter. I have never heard of controlling power to the pump either.

• Administrators
Actually cutting spark is safer. Fuel cools down the cylinder. Also there is not enough fuel entering the cylinder to "wash" them. ....... .....

Oops! You are VERY wrong on that one. Cutting spark is NOT safer in ANY regard compared to cutting fuel when it comes to wear and tear on the engine internals AND externals. Curious, where did you hear/get that information?

To set the record absolutely and positively straight, ANY raw fuel in the cylinders is fuel washing, PERIOD! By cutting spark, there is PLENTY of fuel at those pulse widths to fuel wash the cylinder walls adding LOTS of wear to the rings and cylinder wall. If you have done much engine building/machining/tuning, you’ll know that just an overly rich fuel mixture fuel washes the cylinders. Remember, gasoline acts as a solvent and washes the oil film off the cylinder walls and out of the hone crosshatch. That oil film “in” the hone cross hatches is what keeps the rings from actually physically touching the cylinder walls, i.e the rings are always floating on that film of oil. Allowing the rings to actually contact the cylinder walls by washing the oil film off allows metal to metal contact causing the rings and cylinder walls to wear excessively, and that is a bad thing, unless you don’t mind having your cylinders bored every 10-30k miles.

• Administrators

Ok, lets start over, this time with a more subdued approach.

Nothing wrong with launch control, but using spark cut without adjusting the fuel accordingly will fuel wash the cylinders. As an engine builder/machinist, that is like fingernails on a chalk board… full body chill… shock.gif

I freely admit that I am not up to speed on what the industry is doing using EMS in the role of launch control, (if you are, please shed some light on the subject). As an engine builder, I would like, and hope to think that actual industry accepted launch control techniques for drag racing, are not fuel washing cylinders. please.gif

• Administrators

With Wolf V4, the only option was hard cutting fuel.

Wolf V500 is a bit more refined. The primary choices are Hard Cut Fuel, Hard Cut Ignition, Both, or soft cutting ignition.

The soft cut can be tuned and staged with a hard cut.

For example, you can cut '4 in 8', cutting every second event. '6 in 8' would be approaching a hard cut, and '1 in 8' the opposite.