HybridZ
Teekass

240z, 260z or 280z, chassis/body differences

Is it possible to fit an earlier bumper/indicators to a Late 260Z? I don't like the indicators in the centre, I want them under the headlights like on the earlier models so I'd like to know if I can change this.

From this look:

datsun-260z-coupe-1890925015-640x480.jpg

To This:

wats071.jpg

Nope, it's impossible. Never been done.

....aww come on, I had to. :-P

Yes it can be done, but will require some grinding on the chassis to make things fit nicely, and if I recall correctly might require making some custom brackets. The main issue is that the front nose area of the chassis itself was changed, not just the bumper design and such. They added serious reinforcement to hold that heavy bumper way out there, and in the process made changes that make it difficult to just slap a 240Z bumper and lights on there.

But yes, it's definitely doable. There's hundreds, if not thousands of people that have done it.

The 280 is undoubtedly heavier. If you strip the car down just to the shell (as I have) I think you will find that it is still heavier for the reasons listed above (longer frame rails, thicker metal, reinforced firewall at pedals, etc.). If you run a track car, I would assert that most of that (marginal) weight difference is in things that are an advantage. The balance of the weight difference is in powertrain (EFI, etc.), bumpers (most remove them), etc. If you are going to have a bone stock car, you probably don't worry about the weight. Otherwise most of the weight can be either removed or components can be substituted for lighter versions (steering rack). The 280 shell can easily be lifted by three guys. One of the only big issues I have had is the doors themselves are heavily reinforced. If you cage it, it'd be good to strip them down.

Edited by WizardBlack

Wizard, ever had a chance to compare early 280Z to late 280Z doors? After gutting the windows mine are pretty damn light, even though they do have a pretty serious reinforcement channel that runs the length. It's just interesting how we get obsessed with little details that then lead to blanket statements. 

Even as you said, a bare 280Z chassis can easily be moved around by three people. I'd venture to guess it's somewhere around 500-650 lbs or so, possible even under 500. I know I can shimmy around a S130 bare chassis by myself if I don't mind scratching the car or ground... So what's the big deal? We're talking about weight differences on a portion of the car that's roughly somewhere between 1/3 to 1/4 of the total weight depending on what trim you're running from full street to full race.

And in the case of the doors, the weight of the glass and crank arm mechanism are a much larger difference then I could see any difference between years being. Maybe I'm wrong, but again, it's getting overly concerned about something that's 1. Not unchangeable, and 2. Not a huge percentage of overall weight.

Like engine weights, car weights can be largely subjective to what trim it's in, and what requirements there are. I hope to get my '75 down as close to 2200 lbs as I can, and I'm betting I'm probably within 150lbs now, and I'm still running a steel hood...

The strut tubes on 280s are larger diameter, thicker material and also longer in the rear.  It always amazes me how much the bumpers, rubber bits,filler trim, bumper shocks and fluid, brackets, and all the bolts weight, on the big park bench bumper system.