HybridZ

Rota RB/RB-R, 4x114.3, 17", Z-Offset Wheels

rudypoochris

What would you prefer?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 17x9.5" -19 On all four corners (as the group buy has been)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear even if it costs an extra $200 ($950 shipped)
    • 17x9" -13 Front and 17x9.5" -19 Rear at the same price ($750 shipped)

This has to be one of the best group buys out there. Kim is super busy and it can be a challenge to get a hold of him from time to time but this group buy has been running for over two years and Kim is still honoring it. He ships quickly once payment is received and there never seems to be any issues once the money is sent. Be sure to have verification first before sending your money though.

post-6495-038918300 1289114088_thumb.jpg

post-6495-023636700 1289114127_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Well guys I just placed my order with Kim for a set of 17x9.0/9.5 -13/-19 in gun metal. He said that I should be seeing them in about a week. Can't wait. Just got off the phone with tire company and ordered new General Exclaim UHP 245/45 17 and 275/40 17. Can't wait to get these so I can start my install of the flares. (i wanted to wait until I got the wheels and tires for correct installation) I will get pics to you guys ASAP.

OK so i have read this group buy and have decided to go with the rota instead of the sportmax Im still not clear on fitment for my car so im gonna post my setup and hopefully someone will have the correct answer 71 240z with factory suspension has 4 piston front toyota brake set up and 240sx rear disc set up I want to go with the 17x 8.5 all the way around . Will they fit?????? im in the middle of a ground up resto member projects [autospots 71 240 turbo project] and im not interested at all in taking a hammer to my spring perch . Any help would be greatly apprecisted

Edited by autospot

OK so i have read this group buy and have decided to go with the rota instead of the sportmax Im still not clear on fitment for my car so im gonna post my setup and hopefully someone will have the correct answer 71 240z with factory suspension has 4 piston front toyota brake set up and 240sx rear disc set up I want to go with the 17x 8.5 all the way around . Will they fit?????? im in the middle of a ground up resto member projects [autospots 71 240 turbo project] and im not interested at all in taking a hammer to my spring perch . Any help would be greatly apprecisted

Check out the build on the link below, this dude has the rota 17x8.5's on the rear of his 240z, he did also say that he

now wished that he had got them all round...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/86223-shnipplelickens-73-240z/page__st__60

Well the wheels showed up on time yesterday. Take a look at some quick pics I took. They also put a couple of hats an t-shirts in one of the boxes.

Picture068.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Picture072.jpg

Now I have to get them mounted. Hopefully this will get done this week.

My lug nuts came in also. I got these on Ebay.

Picture.jpg

does anyone have any of the 17x9 rota rb's(not rb-r's) from the original group buy theyd like to sell? i mean the ones with the curved spokes, not the current rb-r's. id like a pair of them, though wouldnt be apposed to buying a full set of 4. pm me if you do. color isnt a concern.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone fitted 285/40r17 on the rear and 275/40 upfront with this rims? Did it need spacer or anything? Aside from flares ofcource.

Or maybe 295/35 for rears?

I do believe if you use any of those sizes you will have clearance issues. Do you understand tire sizes? A 285/40 tires will be taller than a 275/40 tire. A 295/35 tire will be shorter than both 275/40 and 285/40. The first number is the width in millimeters. For example the tire size of 285/40, the number 40 is the tire's aspect ratio. The aspect ratio represents the percentage of width to height. Therefore the height of this tire is 40% of its width.

I do believe if you use any of those sizes you will have clearance issues. Do you understand tire sizes? A 285/40 tires will be taller than a 275/40 tire. A 295/35 tire will be shorter than both 275/40 and 285/40. The first number is the width in millimeters. For example the tire size of 285/40, the number 40 is the tire's aspect ratio. The aspect ratio represents the percentage of width to height. Therefore the height of this tire is 40% of its width.

clearance issue where? if its fender related no problem mines cutout now just trying to set up my wheel/tire combo. my rear fender has been trimmed to fit 325/50r15 yes 28" tire. but i have a correct backspace rim.

and thanks but yes I am fully aware that 285/40 is taller than the 275/40 and yes i am fully aware that 295/35 is shorter in diameter as it is after only a 25.1" tire.

ideally of course I should match it with 255/40 and 295/35

or 275/40 with 315/35

but i wanted to see if 275 can fit up front and if 295/35 can fit outback. without rubbing the suspension stuff.

clearance issue where? if its fender related no problem mines cutout now just trying to set up my wheel/tire combo. my rear fender has been trimmed to fit 325/50r15 yes 28" tire. but i have a correct backspace rim.

and thanks but yes I am fully aware that 285/40 is taller than the 275/40 and yes i am fully aware that 295/35 is shorter in diameter as it is after only a 25.1" tire.

ideally of course I should match it with 255/40 and 295/35

or 275/40 with 315/35

but i wanted to see if 275 can fit up front and if 295/35 can fit outback. without rubbing the suspension stuff.

FYI, the 9.5†width that these rims are available in is less than the recommended minimum width for a 295 tire.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

FYI, the 9.5†width that these rims are available in is less than the recommended minimum width for a 295 tire.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Yes I am aware of that. .5" is the exact number. I have search threads on google and found a few pics of 295 Fitting on a 9.5" with very liltle "bubble"

In fact it only seems to bubble up as much as my bfgoodrich 315 on a 17x10.5

Recommended or not seems to run fine as people have run and if comes down to it yes I'm willing to risk it. Even though it doesn't seem that much of a risk.but to each his own.

And for those that would argue to just stick with 285 I would prefer the 295 as it is only 25" tire compare to the 285 which is a 25.7" if memory serves me right. Which should up my overall gearing.

Anyways I don't mean to be rude but I have done my research so if anyone could answer my original question that would be great.

I did a little bit of a calculator on this. The front rims have 4.48" backspace and back have 4.5"backspace right?

Edited by 5.Z

Your backspace measurements look correct. These rims were designed to have as close to a 4.5" backspace as possible, as that was the measured safety net that should be a "decent" fit for the largest percentage of us out there in the S30.

Personally, I think to avoid having ridiculously huge flares (just the amount of work involved is all, if you want to then go for it) you should go with something with more backspacing.

With 4.5" you'll clear stock suspension components. The main limitation in front is the tension rod at full steering lock. If you don't mind rubbing, then compact coilovers should let you run a lot more backspacing, putting more of the wheel in the stock well.

I have had more backspacing on other wheels hit the framerail lip(in front of the wheel) and the TC rod(behind the wheel). It is annoying in the driveway/parking lot. It is pretty much normal for other cars as well when you start upsizing wheels and tires.

Thanks gollum for confirming that.

I don't mind doing the body work since I actually like having wide flares. I actually finished cutting up my fenders this weekend and fitted my 325/50r15 nitto. So any tires I put on here should fit. Next week I'm hoping to get my custom flare done.

Thanks gollum for confirming that.

I don't mind doing the body work since I actually like having wide flares. I actually finished cutting up my fenders this weekend and fitted my 325/50r15 nitto. So any tires I put on here should fit. Next week I'm hoping to get my custom flare done.

Post some pictures, I'm really curious how those wide tires look even with cut fenders... :)